Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Possibly a relay?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 AM
My3FiddyZ

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Possibly a relay?

Having an odd issue with my electronics. I arrived to work this morning and turn the key off, i open my door where normally my electronics (lights, radio, navigation) will shut off but they are stuck on. This has happened before but went away after a few days without having to dig into it. I manually closed the lid to the navigation and pushed the volume **** to shut off the radio hoping that with the backlit display only running that it wont drain my battery. Anyone have anything similar happen like this before? I'm leaning towards either a ignition switch or possibly accessory relay is stuck (single digit temps maybe causing it to stick?) Any help or feedback is appreciated. Most things ive searched point me towards faulty wiring of aftermarket stereo causing it to stay on (which doesn't apply, mines stock)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Is your door switch working? I think you can test this by sitting in the car and putting the alarm on. Then opening the door.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
My3FiddyZ

I opened my door and kept pushing the door sensor in, and each time you can hear and see the window finish rolling up to seal so I'm assuming its working properly. I'll test that on lunch break, im currently at work and hoping my battery isn't dead by 5.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Sounds like its working then. I have no idea. Just reset the battery and see if it fixes it /shrug
Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 AM
My3FiddyZ

it seems like such a simple problem but no one really has an answer. I find it weird that it only happens when its not garaged and in single and negative temps but no one else seems to have issues with a relay possibly sticking due to the cold. This morning was -2 but i've been seeing pics on facebook of other z's some showing -15 on their temp gauge and they're not having issues.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I've seen the ignition relay get stuck on in the IPDM. The only fix is to replace the IPDM. If you have an advanced scanner than scans all systems (not just the engine), look for an IPDM code stored.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
My3FiddyZ

Checked with a scanner over lunch break, showed no codes which i figured wouldnt since it wasnt an advanced scanner. Just what O'Reilleys had. I have it pulled inside our shop with battery cable pulled so hopefully i won't have to jump it when im off. The guy there built some 240 z's in his day and the problem puzzled him but kind of thought the idea of the cold causing the relay to stick was a possibility since it only happens when left outside for extended periods of time. I haven't looked into how the relay is set up but he mentioned if its a spring or mechanical relay with a plunger of some sort that it would make sense if the electrical grease they apply would cause it to not fully open or close. Anyone maybe have more insight on this?