Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

“rear tail light fuse” problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM
DilleyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “rear tail light fuse” problems

Hey guys before i start this thread i have done A lot of googling and research into this issue and learned what i can from previous threads but i am really stumped at this point!

Here is my current problem. The car was stored over winter for the last 3.5 months and was put into storage with no problems! Within the past week i broke it out and did some maintenance and re-installed my wheels / changed fluids / etc.. and she is running like a dream. I noticed the other day that my headlights are fine but my front parking and side marker lights were out as well as my rear license plate and rear running brake lights! I also have aftermarket led reflectors installed which were also out! after some quick research i realized it was a fuse and sure enough the rear tail light fuse was blown! i installed a new 10 amp fuse and within a half a second of turning the lights on it pops!

My first attempt to fix the problem was removing my spliced LED side markers in case i had accidentally created a short and i removed all the wiring that exists with these led side markers and reinstalled the fuse and it popped instantly

My second attempt was to remove all the front bulbs on the specific circuit and sure enough the new fuse pooped instantly!

My next attempt will be to remove the rear bulbs on the circuit and see if its a faulty bulb creating a short circuit. If not my only other guess would be a relay or a short in the wire!

If anybody has had a similar problem or now a lot about this type of stuff any help would be appreciated! car electronics is a little out of my league!
Thanks so much for helping me out
Caleb Dilley
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Many aftermarket LED lights will cause issues with the Z. Many members here have even lost power, this has been well documented over the years I've been on this forum. The front LEDs are no exception, you are basically frying some of your electronics and causing fuses to go. Not worth the extra Xmas lights IMO, I'd take those out.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:45 PM
DilleyZ

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Many aftermarket LED lights will cause issues with the Z. Many members here have even lost power, this has been well documented over the years I've been on this forum. The front LEDs are no exception, you are basically frying some of your electronics and causing fuses to go. Not worth the extra Xmas lights IMO, I'd take those out.
This makes sense but the issue is I had them installed all last summer for almost 5 months and they worked every time! So that makes me
Wonder why it would be an issue now but even after uninstalling theses LEDs and completely removing all the wiring I still have the fuse pop!
Definititly confused on this one
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

You have a short or live wire grounding causing the fuse to go.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Esteban350z

I had a similar issue all lights worked except. The tail lights mine winded up Beeing a exposed wire in the head lamps
Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM
DilleyZ

Originally Posted by Esteban350z
I had a similar issue all lights worked except. The tail lights mine winded up Beeing a exposed wire in the head lamps
Was this pretty obvious to find? Because I have done a pretty general overview of the wires near the lights as they come out of the wire loom and I have not seen any real evidence of a wire being exposed!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Esteban350z

Originally Posted by DilleyZ
Was this pretty obvious to find? Because I have done a pretty general overview of the wires near the lights as they come out of the wire loom and I have not seen any real evidence of a wire being exposed!

For me it was. 2 wires rubbed together
Old 03-15-2015, 05:11 PM
DilleyZ

Here is where i am now! i removed every bulb on the circuit that the fuse runs and put in a new fuse and it still popped which means that all the bulbs are fine and not creating a short! i have inspected all of the wire near and around the bulbs where it comes out of the wire loom and i see no exposed wire or anything that could likely be causing the short!

I believe the relay is still okay at this point but not sure what to do next!
I have a really hard time believing its the wire because when the car was put into storage everything worked fine and upon removing the car it is no popping the fuse! not sure how just sitting there could cause a wire to short out somewhere!

Any suggestions guys? its killing me and i just don’t know what to do next!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Esteban350z

Parked it for a while maybe rats or anything like that could have gotten in some where else. I would test the relay to make sure that's not were the problem is. Interested in what your problem is
Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 PM
DilleyZ

Update:
SO here is what has happened! i removed the connecter from the IPDM that controls the tail light fuse circuit and we ran an external power supply of 12 volts trough the tail light circuit and every bulb works fine with zero problems!
This proves that my circuit is fine and without shorts! i reconnected the connecter and the fuse pops again!
I also found out tonight that my windshield wipers do not work which is concerning as well but the relay for these is located in the IPDM as well!

So based on these results i believe my IPDM has failed and i need to replace!
Where would you suggest i buy or is it possible to buy a used one!
Any thoughts??
Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 PM
DilleyZ

Update:
I purchased a new IPDM and installed tonight and once again the fuse popped and my windshield wipers do not work!
At this point I’m lost and frustrated because i have tried everything including buying a brand new IPDM!

Im so lost and confused at what to do next! i thought i had an idea but at this point if anybody has any idea or any clue as to what my problem could be please help!
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Dekker001

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved?