Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Idle oil pressure is very low, and yes, oil level is fine :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:58 PM
the_dood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle oil pressure is very low, and yes, oil level is fine :)

Hello all.

So before i dive into the the main topic, let me please begin with this:

About two months ago i was at a light waiting for it to turn green, and i noticed my low oil pressure light come on, on the dash. At the time, i thought it was a low oil LEVEL light, i have since been mistaken. Threw in about a quart and a half and all was good. Let me also say that before this low oil pressure dealio, in my 5 years of owning my Z, ive never had an oil pressure problem, but i am aware of the Z burning up oil like a champ, i usually keep a mental note when i should check the oil but with work picking up and life happening it slipped my mind. The oil level before i put some in was a 1/4" above the end of the dipstick but i dont know how long i was driving around with low oil before the light came on.

Ok, so as of now, the last two months when driving i have NORMAL oil pressure on the gauge. Right around 40 to 60psi give or take depending on my speed, usually 60-80 mph. As soon as i come to a complete stop, and idle, my oil pressure gauge falls to what appears to be 5psi (right around in that area) and SOMETIMES the low pressure light comes on. If the car is all warmed up and running hot (not bad hot) and ive been driving for a while it will come on, if its only been maybe 20min it will idle at i would say 15psi. All of this is with proper oil level, midway on the L to H scale.

I checked to make sure the oil cap was on tight, it is. I wanted the communities help to rule any other obvious solutions before i deem the oil pump the problem. I dont have a good grasp on the mechanical working of the Z oil pump. I dont know would wear on the pump is the oil level was low.

Any suggestions would help. Sorry for the length of this bad boy, i just want to make sure i leave nothing out.

Edit: I have an 03 Touring Z with about 146k miles, 6 speed man.
Attached Thumbnails Idle oil pressure is very low, and yes, oil level is fine :)-img_5029.jpg  

Last edited by the_dood; 04-06-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: left out some info, yo!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

What RPM is your idle usually at? I get that light sometimes if the RPM's did real low before it dies and I put the clutch back in when slowly pulling into a parking spot where I want to move up but not hit the curb. It will stay on too even after I go into neutral, unless I tap the throttle to raise the RPM's back up and it will turn off before I shut it off.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:53 PM
the_dood

I wanna say at 500-750rpm. I can tell you honestly that my idle speed hasn't changed since the day i bought. I did however think about that, if i barely tap on the gas when im idle the light goes away the oil pressure go up a tick, then falls back down to 5psi and the light comes back on.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Ok, yeah it wasn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I was just trying to get at the idea that the light can come on but it doesn't always mean there's an issue.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 PM
BALDTIRES

I wounder if you have a bad sending unit. could make a gauge read low....
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 AM
the_dood

Originally Posted by BALDTIRES
I wounder if you have a bad sending unit. could make a gauge read low....
Also forgot to mention the sending unit has been replaced. The reason I replaced sending unit was because the oil pressure gauge needle would tick back and forth when it gets up around 60psi. It also occasionally would get stuck on 120psi. I would tap the gauge then it falls back down to normal. I now think the gauge is a fault here. Maybe the little gears are worn out OR maybe the new sending unit is faulty. I just don't know.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

It is also possible you have damaged your bearings with the incident of low oil level. Damaged bearings result in larger clearances which in turn would lower the oil pressure at idle. It might be wise to have a mechanic take a look at your car.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 AM
the_dood

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
It is also possible you have damaged your bearings with the incident of low oil level. Damaged bearings result in larger clearances which in turn would lower the oil pressure at idle. It might be wise to have a mechanic take a look at your car.
Would you mind explaining which set of bearings would be the culprit?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

That would be the bearings on your crankshaft. That is where the oil pressure reading is picked up. Again, I would strongly urge you to have a qualified mechanic look at your motor.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Oil pump doesn't create oil pressure. It simply just flows the oil through the system. Bearing clearances and oil passages creates pressure. With larger oil clearances oil pressure drops.

Main bearings on the crankshaft and rods bearings, if worn, creates a scenario like yours. Of course, it's a good idea to check oil pressure with trusted device before dismantle and rebuild the engine.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 AM
the_dood

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
That would be the bearings on your crankshaft. That is where the oil pressure reading is picked up. Again, I would strongly urge you to have a qualified mechanic look at your motor.
Would a qualified mechanic use or do to test it out? Let's say I buy or borrow a pressure test kit to accurately test the engine oil pressure and it reads fine but the light still comes on, what would I do then? Or for worst case scenario the test kit DOES show low pressure and it is a bearing problem, is that a major engine overhaul or a weekend project? I'm a mechanically inclined person.

Would bad or worn bearings give a low idle pressure AND a driving oil pressure or just a low idle pressure, because as I stated before, the oil pressure while driving is fine it's ONLY while I'm at an idle.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 AM
the_dood

I also wanted to ask if what if this whole low idle oil pressure is just a coincidence at the same time the oil level was low and maybe there is a small leak out of the head gasket area? There some oil residue and stuff down there. Maybe the seal isn't 100% causing a low idle pressure. I just want rule out the easier fixes before I think about the whole engine coming apart.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

did I miss it?...
how old is your oil?

Last edited by jhc; 04-07-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM
the_dood

Originally Posted by jhc
did I miss it?...
how old is your oil?
Little over 4k miles.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Turnstien

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to the dealership they could give you a ideal with in a hour I bet for less then a 100 bucks Nissan could pin point this or a decent dealership save your self the stress. Good luck
Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Run a thicker oil and bump up the idle (nissan can bump it 100 rpms with few button presses on their consult device). Both will serve to increase oil pressure at idle. If you've damaged some bearings (and they're probably a bit worn at that mileage anyway) you can try to prolong life with a heavier weight oil. I would change the oil to a 10W-40 or 15/20W-50 (if you live in a warm climate). If you can see little metal particles in the drained oil then you need an engine rebuild.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-07-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM
the_dood

Originally Posted by rcdash
Run a thicker oil and bump up the idle (nissan can bump it 100 rpms with few button presses on their consult device). Both will serve to increase oil pressure at idle. If you've damaged some bearings (and they're probably a bit worn at that mileage anyway) you can try to prolong life with a heavier weight oil. I would change the oil to a 10W-40 or 15/20W-50 (if you live in a warm climate). If you can see little metal particles in the drained oil then you need an engine rebuild.
I'm going to change the oil and put in what you suggested along with a new oil filter and see how that goes for now and cross my fingers. Maybe the filter is clogged up with some debris or something. If the problem persists than if the price is right at the stealership, I'll have the take a look, hopefully tell me what the problem is, and maybe it's something I can take on myself and a buddy.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 AM
the_dood

Quick question, the oil pressure gauge AND the low oil pressure light on the dash do they both get the readings from the sending unit or does the gauge get a physical connection to the engine oil pressure and the low oil pressure light connected to the sending unit?

Last edited by the_dood; 04-09-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Bigsyke

First, i would do this:

Time how long it takes to build oil pressure on a cold start. If it takes more than 1 second for the oil PSI to shoot up to 90psi, you have a problem.

What oil filter part number are you running? You can get a "wrong" one for this car. I bought a purolator classic and the base wasn't concaved enough. The M1-110 seems to be a solid performer and the proper base, and the Fram XG6607 being nearly as good, if not better (for cheaper). Make sure you blow into the base of the oil filter before purchasing to test the ADBV.

I would grab a magnetic drain plug. Hit up walmart and grab a jug of Rotella T6 and 1 32oz bottle of Marvel Mystery oil and a Fram XG6607 or XG7317. If that doesn't help increase pressure in about 1500 miles of light driving, get ready to pull the pans. You could check the engine grounds for safe measure. The magnetic drain plug will allow you to see how much shavings are being run through the engine.

Generally you should be at 60psi at around 2500-3k rpms. You may need to check the pickup tube and make sure its attached firmly and not leaking.

I caused a very similar issue by running krank vents. Oil pressure was 3psi at idle, but normal cruising. Crankcase vacuum doesn't press the oil through the pump. When I removed the krankvents, I was back at 25psi @idle. Maybe you can remove your oil cap, and check your idle PSI.

Last edited by Bigsyke; 04-11-2015 at 07:25 AM.