Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

03 Z keeps cranking

Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 03 Z keeps cranking

So this topic has been beaten to death about potential solutions but my case seems to not match any of them.
To start off, my car just started doing this thing where it would continue to crank without starting but it has only done it 2 times. Since then, I have driven the car 3-4 different times without any issues, meaning the car started and drove 100% fine.
I know some early Z's had a recall for the camshaft sensors, however, I don't think that is my issue because I have no SES or SLIP lights on the dash.
A lot of other things I have read say that people's Z's were stalling. Mine has not done that, it only happens during start-up.

Another issue I just came across roughly 3 days ago was a strong smell of gas in the cabin as well as outside of my Z. I initially thought this was due to my test pipes (installed 6 months ago) and that maybe now that Im driving with the windows down I am starting to notice the smell. But it has not gone away and I am concerned that the gas as well as the not starting issue could lead to the same issue.
A couple threads on here stated about certain o-rings in the fuel regulator assembly that could be loose, however, I checked and there are no visual signs of gas leaking from anywhere on my car. I left it parked in the driveway to see if it was leaking and I could see a small puddle but nothing, the driveway was dry the next day.

Side notes:
I have checked my battery
80k miles
Plugs changed roughly 10k miles ago

Im not sure what other information would be helpful in figuring this out.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by craig12895; 04-12-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM
zaku_4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean to say it takes a while to crank but eventually does startup and run fine or doesnt start at all?

Since you ruled out the cam and crank sensors(as you dont get any of the lights most people get) did you see the thread about fuel filter which requires an entire fuel pump replacement? Or maybe its that other thread about some body control module called the NATS antenna that requires replacement?

Sorry, not much help but I'm in the same situation as you,i think.

Last edited by zaku_4; 04-13-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

There could be several explanations to your problem, but two factors make me thing fuel pressure might be a problem. First, the engine doesn't fire despite repeated cranking. Second, the smell of gas seems to indicate a fuel leak or puddling someplace. Without adequate fuel pressure, the fuel injectors will not function properly and could lead to the dreaded hard start.

Did you scan your Z? Were any codes preesnt?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 PM
craig12895

Originally Posted by dkmura
There could be several explanations to your problem, but two factors make me thing fuel pressure might be a problem. First, the engine doesn't fire despite repeated cranking. Second, the smell of gas seems to indicate a fuel leak or puddling someplace. Without adequate fuel pressure, the fuel injectors will not function properly and could lead to the dreaded hard start.

Did you scan your Z? Were any codes preesnt?
I don't have an OBDII scanner at school with me and there were no visual SES lights so I didn't try scanning it. I will try and borrow one from somebody at school to see if any codes come up.

I thought that if it was a fuel pressure issue, wouldn't that affect normal driving? I feel like that would cause some sort of sputtering or stalling while driving
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by craig12895
I don't have an OBDII scanner at school with me and there were no visual SES lights so I didn't try scanning it. I will try and borrow one from somebody at school to see if any codes come up.

I thought that if it was a fuel pressure issue, wouldn't that affect normal driving? I feel like that would cause some sort of sputtering or stalling while driving
Some codes won't activate a CEL, but will remain in memory. Try taking your Z to a parts store with a code reader. Those guys want to sell some replacement parts, so they'll be eagar to check for them.

Some fuel system issues bleed off pressure and can result in a hard start. The fuel system is sealed and should hold line pressure even after the engine is shut off. It's why an injected VQ motor usually starts up quickly. If there's a large fuel leak, then line pressure would drop and result in drivability problems. But then you'd also have the much bigger threat of a potential fire!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Also noticed you changed your plugs recently. What brand and type of spark plugs did you install? Did your start up problems start about the same time?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by dkmura
Also noticed you changed your plugs recently. What brand and type of spark plugs did you install? Did your start up problems start about the same time?
I have all the receipts at home so I don't know the exact ones, but I do know they were OEM spec but were NGK. I made sure not to cheap out with the plugs.

And no my car has been driving like a champion for the last 3 months. Now its just this hiccups that showed up on its own. The only variable I can link this to is that is started as we started having 60+ degree weather but that could be a coincidence.

I will work on getting a scanner hooked up to it
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 AM
Allyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Z does the same thing, and some say that it might be the key going bad, I've smelled something as well but it was not gas, it was more of something burning..I have been trying the spare key lately and it still sounds like it wants to struggle. I have everything battery/ alternator checked out..
Old 04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
craig12895

I have my brother meeting me tonight with the OBD scanner so I will be able to test that.

But when I began installing my airlift suspension about a week ago, I opened the round flap that is attached to the fuel pump to see if it was safe for me to mount the suspension stuff in there. In a thought that maybe that did not seal perfectly I went out to m car yesterday and opened the flap back up and then tried to close it back up and make sure it sealed properly. Im not totally sure if it did seal 100% but even after a day of my car just sitting the gas smell inside has decreased.

So im not sure if that was the cause of the strong smell but I do think that has helped. Now I'm starting to think that the strong smell and the starting issue are not linked. Soo..

I also have my brother bringing me my spare key because perhaps it is my main key going bad. Is there a way for me to test for sure if my key is going bad?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:48 AM
craig12895

To ensure that my fuel pump is sealed properly, I plan to go to Home Depot tonight and get some of the 3m foam tape and put it around the inside of the flap. That would make it much tighter to close but I think it would help seal it.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by craig12895
I also have my brother bringing me my spare key because perhaps it is my main key going bad. Is there a way for me to test for sure if my key is going bad?
Of course- take it to your local Nissan dealer and have them check the key with their CONSULT III diagnostics. This may ultimately be the solution if this problem persists.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 PM
craig12895

I forgot to go to Home Depot for that foam tonight but the good news is the smell is definitely going away.

On a side note, I plugged the scanner into my car and BOOM, pulled up code P1615- NATS IDIFFERENCE OF KEY

So it looks like it is my key going bad. I will keep my spare with me in case it quits out on me completely one of these days
03 Z keeps cranking-vsonj24.jpg