Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2006 350z convertible top won't open... Not 5th bow motor!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 PM
cope469

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 350z convertible top won't open... Not 5th bow motor!!!

Hey guys first post on the forums but I need some help with my convertible top. I open up the top and it works fine, but when it tries to go in the trunk, all the motors shut off and wont tuck in. Now I thought it was the 5th bow motor, a common problem I heard and rebuilt the motor. It sounds brand new now but not the problem. Rebuilt the passenger side motor, still the same problem. Seems like a jam somewhere that's blocking the sensor. I made a video of my problem and will post the link below. If anyone can help me that would be awesome. Thanks my Z friends.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Cope, the picture is dark and jumps around making it hard to see each sequence step happening. However the motors sound healthy as well as the sound of the linkage articulating with the exception of the number two bow. All the other top bows are joined together and are pulled back by the two main top motors through linkage. The number two bow is the metal cross bar that is located approximately above your head when the top is closed. This bow is attached to free moving pivots on ether side of the top rails. Unlike the other bows it is not pulled into place, but simply falls back towards the number 3 bow as the top folds into the storage hatch.

At the ¾ mark of top operation you can hear the motors bind and struggle a bit as the number two bow jams in the top fabric. To diagnose and confirm that this is your problem, simply give the number two a little helpful nudge backwards with your hand when opening the top at about the ½ to ¾ point of opening.

If this allows the top to fully retract into the hatch and for the hatch cover to properly close, report back and we can explain how to fix this.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 PM
cope469

Default Identified the problem

With an extra man to help we found out that we had to pull the bar back in order for the top to retract fully in to the trunk. Now how do I fix the second bow so that it could do this automatically? Your help is much appreciated let me tell you!!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Jennifer 2

The second bow should only take a slight nudge backwards to help with the normal action. There should be two pieces of black elastic strapping a few inches wide, spanning between the second and the third bow (you can see them from inside the car). It is their job to supply a slight tug if needed as the top retracts. These straps are replaceable and will help an otherwise smooth working top fold properly.

I did see on your video the edge of the metal top attachment claw (on the second bow) was very chewed up. This leads me to think the top has been replaced on this car. as normal practice is to carefully unbend this clinch bracket to release the old top fabric and then carefully re-bend it over the new top fabric. Something is not right with yours, but we can’t see the whole area in the picture.

Again the bow should only take a small nudge to behave and work right. If that’s the case, then a simple replacement of the two elastic straps will put things right. If you have to use some real muscle to move it to the proper rearmost position, then the pivots, or the alignment of the bow, or the attachment of the fabric, or all of the above may need attention in addition to replacing the elastic straps. Nissan part # 97150-Z33010 I think you need to order two of these per car, (check that) best price would from an on-line dealer. Courtesy Nissan is a good one. The straps are about 5 inches long and it’s not hard to make up some from elastic band material from a sewing supply shop.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbitt10 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:41 PM
cope469

Default 2nd bow......

I just took a look at the bar above my head and took off some of the cloth covering it, it's in bad shape. I have pictures below to show both sides. You think I should insert rivits all along the bar to tighten it up?

Above the driver side

Passenger side

More passenger side
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Jennifer 2

Cope, Here is a giant pdf download with a bunch of factory service bulletins, service instructions and a ton of how-to photos describing the attachment the top to all the bows and frame work. Although I know how the top works, I’m just a girl without any ‘hands on’ experience. So I’ll leave you with all this and hope you get everything sorted.
http://home.comcast.net/~tempus01/topreplacement.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Nesbitt10 (04-29-2023)
Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 PM
cope469

Default Top is officially FIXED

I just wanted to say thanks for helping me with my top problem. I bought an elastic roll from the store for 10 bucks and sewed the bands onto the top and it's never worked better. I appreciate the help!

Mike
Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Jennifer 2

Good job Mike on getting everything sorted and working properly. Use the advanced search function here (set the ‘show results’ to posts instead of threads). Search by key word for top cleaners and top protectants to get some recommendations on products to clean, condition, and provide UV protection for your top. Take note that there are different formulas for vinyl or fabric coated tops.

Also, now that you have gained all this hands-on knowledge of the power top function, be sure to pass some of it on to others who inquire here.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:29 PM
fonzefm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

help .my top wont open seat move ,windows go down and I hear a noise in back but cant locate it help
Old 07-25-2015, 03:31 PM
fonzefm

i forgot it worked great most season &then boom stop help ?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM
ramapoughnative

greetings all! Question.. I have issue with 5th bow motor. When i try to open top, I get passenger window going down, the passenger seat moves forward, I hear the click unlocking the top but the 5th bow motor never moves. I have tried removing motor and bench testing it and it tests ok if i apply power but not in the car. Is it possible the power is not activated because it's out of sequence? I have checked all fuses and all are good. Help me please because I don't want to spend 4500 at the nissan dealership. Yes i have already inquired with them.. THANK YOU.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM
fonzefm

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]manually open top by hand and check switches on pivot point by drivers door , on mine the switches on rite side lever was bent out of shape , got sw on line 50.00 bucks
Attached Thumbnails 2006 350z convertible top won't open... Not 5th bow motor!!!-002.jpg  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:49 AM
pmgraham

Default You still have this car?

Having the exact same problem with mine (your video helps a bunch) and just got a $2,000 estimate to replace 5th bow motor and strap kit. I think the motors are fine, just getting hung up in the last part of the process. I would love to see a pic of your elastic band fix if that is possible. I want to try it. I am ready to sell this car, though I love her. My new commute is too long to put her on it every day and the insurance is too high to let her sit in the driveway. I sure didn't want to tell a prospective buyer that the top doesn't fully work and the fix will cost 2 grand.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgraham
Having the exact same problem with mine (your video helps a bunch) and just got a $2,000 estimate to replace 5th bow motor and strap kit. I think the motors are fine, just getting hung up in the last part of the process. I would love to see a pic of your elastic band fix if that is possible. I want to try it. I am ready to sell this car, though I love her. My new commute is too long to put her on it every day and the insurance is too high to let her sit in the driveway. I sure didn't want to tell a prospective buyer that the top doesn't fully work and the fix will cost 2 grand.
You can buy a band replacement kit from the dealer. Includes rivets. I've installed many. There was a TSB for it. Part number is 97150-CE01B . Kit is under $65.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 AM
pmgraham

Default Appreciate the info

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You can buy a band replacement kit from the dealer. Includes rivets. I've installed many. There was a TSB for it. Part number is 97150-CE01B . Kit is under $65.
I think I am going to test the pushing the 2nd bow by hand method and see if that is my problem. If so, I will get one of these. Thanks so much. May have saved me a bundle on the resale.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Lallz

Default Hey everyone!

I’m in a similar boat here and can use any kind of help possible from you all. I have power in the motors but when I press the open button, nothing works. My windows don’t move and seats don’t move. I had a Nissan dealership look at it and they think it’s the 5th bow and are telling me I’d be spending up to $6k on parts and labour. I don’t like the sounds of that. Anybody have any thoughts or and ideas what the issue might be.

Last edited by Lallz; 07-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Andy Malloy

Originally Posted by fonzefm
manually open top by hand and check switches on pivot point by drivers door , on mine the switches on rite side lever was bent out of shape , got sw on line 50.00 bucks
​​​​​​ where is the switch located and is it easily accessible by just lifting the back part of the top up I cannot locate this switch but my top is doing the same thing as you have mentioned in your previous post what was the part number or how do I look up what that part is called I cannot find it anywhere online.... Can the switch be bi passed to see if it is the problem?
Old 05-12-2022, 01:16 AM
Jdmluck

Originally Posted by cope469
Hey guys first post on the forums but I need some help with my convertible top. I open up the top and it works fine, but when it tries to go in the trunk, all the motors shut off and wont tuck in. Now I thought it was the 5th bow motor, a common problem I heard and rebuilt the motor. It sounds brand new now but not the problem. Rebuilt the passenger side motor, still the same problem. Seems like a jam somewhere that's blocking the sensor. I made a video of my problem and will post the link below. If anyone can help me that would be awesome. Thanks my Z friends.

2006 Nissan 350z Roadster Convertible Help!! - YouTube
it's an easy fix you need to replace the two elastic band and if you want to talk close all the way down you can help by pushing on the second rod back that hold the lastic band as the top go down will help it fold properly going to the trunk
Old 05-12-2022, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmluck
it's an easy fix you need to replace the two elastic band and if you want to talk close all the way down you can help by pushing on the second rod back that hold the lastic band as the top go down will help it fold properly going to the trunk
he hasnt logged in for 7 years
Old 04-25-2023, 07:17 AM
Kolt64

Originally Posted by travlee
he hasnt logged in for 7 years
I have 2006 convertible. When I push open button windows go down passenger seat tilts forward and hatch release top but that’s where it stops. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 350z convertible top won't open... Not 5th bow motor!!!