Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

consult 3

Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation consult 3

*****UPDATE JUNE 2/2015******, as of this day, we discuss different aftermarket scan modules that would come close to CONSULT, this thread is no longer about making consult 3 work like it was b4. if u have anything to add about different scantools, then by all means.
so far we got names such as ( i ll add more as ppl mention)

1.MODIS by snap on - $7600
2.MaxiDAS® DS708 by AUTEl - $900-1200

*****UPDATE may 18/2015*****,PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR LATEST NEWS, as the issue below is not longer valid, now this thread becomes "Consult 3 experiment"in which I try to find a way to have consult 3 software and the interface

OLD:
ok, i have gotten a consult 3 software (i'm not crazy - i did not buy the whole thing) and now the dillema i'm facing is this. some say that i have to use a nissan diag tool

Amazon.com: FOME USB Consult III Auto Diagnostic Tool for Nissan + FOME Gift: Automotive Amazon.com: FOME USB Consult III Auto Diagnostic Tool for Nissan + FOME Gift: Automotive

which i understand , i mean i need a cable to hook up to car.
but the problem i have is that this connection is no obd 2, so my first question is, do our cars in usa have consult connector ( 14 pin one) if so , where?

and second question is this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

i see this thing a lot also, and my question is whats the diff ( despite the obvious, one using 14 pin , and another vga or whatever that is) ?

so i guess my true question is this:

HOW DO I HOOK UP CONSULT TO MY 07 350Z, SO ALL THE FUNCTIONS OF CONSULT WOULD WORK(thats why i pointed out those two devices, as ive heard normal usb to obd 2 cable wont do it)?

Last edited by Cookiezor; 06-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

What is this? This is the second cheapo diagnostic scanner thread I've read on here. First, the OBD II plug on your Z is located under the DS dash near the hood release. Get a flashlight and look in that corner of the dash and you'll see a yellow 14-pin connector. Second, Nissan obviously didn't copyright the "CONSULT" (or 1/2/3) names for their scanner, BUT THESE DEVICES ARE NOT the ones dealerships use. Those devices cost thousands of dollars and do far more than pull codes and clear them.

As to how you'd hook up your (fake) consult device, I guess you download the compressed software and follow the directions to use its limited features.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by dkmura
What is this? This is the second cheapo diagnostic scanner thread I've read on here. First, the OBD II plug on your Z is located under the DS dash near the hood release. Get a flashlight and look in that corner of the dash and you'll see a yellow 14-pin connector. Second, Nissan obviously didn't copyright the "CONSULT" (or 1/2/3) names for their scanner, BUT THESE DEVICES ARE NOT the ones dealerships use. Those devices cost thousands of dollars and do far more than pull codes and clear them.

As to how you'd hook up your (fake) consult device, I guess you download the compressed software and follow the directions to use its limited features.
first dont hate, second, once i figure it out how to connect it without ur input, i ll send u some screenshots and u ll tell me if its fake or not since u know whats real. and third, i know where obd 2 is (mine is black, on the left side next to hood release), that was not my question. But anyway, thank you for your gracious insight and time spend looking at my thread and answering.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Not hatin', just tellin' the truth. Looking at the product descriptions from the two links, I can only say those units are not what a real CONSULT III unit looks like. Anyone can go to a Nissan dealership and see one...it's not hard.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Im pretty sure OBDII is 16 pin.

And the functionality that these units can unlock is usually limited by the software you pair with them. When you read the fine print for some of the software packages it specifically states will not work with Win 7. Not sure if this means they arent compatible, but something to think about.

Do post your results.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by dkmura
Not hatin', just tellin' the truth. Looking at the product descriptions from the two links, I can only say those units are not what a real CONSULT III unit looks like. Anyone can go to a Nissan dealership and see one...it's not hard.
"i know those r not the real deal, that was not my quesition, i just wanted to know the diff between the two. All i said is that i got the software it self, and its not the chinese copy that comes with THOSE(btw those r consult 1 since they got the old 14 pin plug, the first link device, i think u can use that with datascan, i saw a vid of it on utube). i've been reading and found out that ppl get this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Consult-III-3-USB-Professional-OBD1-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-/231387116194?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
and use real consult 3 software with that somehow.
so we ll see how good of a copy mine is, if it will work with that interface above, i dont mind spending 300$ out of curiosity, cause if it does, then it would be great! but first i need a Win XP laptop, so thast first and foremost.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by guitman32
Im pretty sure OBDII is 16 pin.

And the functionality that these units can unlock is usually limited by the software you pair with them. When you read the fine print for some of the software packages it specifically states will not work with Win 7. Not sure if this means they arent compatible, but something to think about.

Do post your results.
those usually come with "chinese" consult on a blank cd. so yes, i agree with u, and yes abt the win7, i need to get xp. so we ll definitely see if its real or not, after i do a bit more research abt the device i posted in above post. cause thats what i hear others use.

i just wanted to see if anybody had the consult and could shine some light on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Please post your results as I would be interested in buy that setup IF it works. If what your doing can help some of us out, I'm all behind you, and good for you for even trying this.

I personally think it sucks that you pretty much have to go to the dealership to get certain things done.

Why is going to the dealership a bad thing? Well, your at the mercy of whomever is working on your car. Do they know what they are doing, or will they just charge you out the a$$ while they guess what is wrong with your car.

Plus lots of us who have modded cars won't even get to that point with the dealership techs, and they will take one look at the mods, and reject working on the car.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by M-train
Please post your results as I would be interested in buy that setup IF it works. If what your doing can help some of us out, I'm all behind you, and good for you for even trying this.

I personally think it sucks that you pretty much have to go to the dealership to get certain things done.

Why is going to the dealership a bad thing? Well, your at the mercy of whomever is working on your car. Do they know what they are doing, or will they just charge you out the a$$ while they guess what is wrong with your car.

Plus lots of us who have modded cars won't even get to that point with the dealership techs, and they will take one look at the mods, and reject working on the car.

yeah man, i defenetly agree with you abt dealerships. i used to work in one, and i know how things r done behind that window. while some techs r diligent,others r not so much, and u cant really pick which one u want, it might be some noob working on ur car, or a professional, and only they know what they did exactly to the car.

plus for me, its fun to figure it out, cause all dealerships have is more equipment to figure things out, thats the only thing separating their service from reg people, oh and some info that is exclusive only to employees.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Cookiezor

ok guys, to those who look at this, a little update.

so far the only thing available for purchase is the chinese clone. at some places its 150, at some 349. BUT I'M NOT LOOSING HOPE!
i know i got the legit software, so what i need is the original nissan consult 3 interface ( also called VI(vehicle interface)(unfortunately the reg obd 2 to usb cable wont cut it), also nissan has an MI(and that is to do a waveform analysis like PICOscope))

so i found a place that sells the complete diagnostic tools,equipment to the NISSAN dealer(thats where the dealers get it from), but in order to buy it u need a dealer code, and some big dough ( i dont have both), but what i also found is that they sell the new consult 3+ VI ( thats the new version of consult interface) without the code, so wich means i can buy it if i had 2200$ and the consult 3+ software( i might be able to get the updated software, but thats not for sure, but i do have the consult 3 software)

so bc i have the consult 3, and not 3+, i need the old interface, so tomorrow i'm going to call them ,and see if they still have the old version. if they do - i'm in business, and next step to test the software. if they dont, then I STILL GOT HOPE. i'm gonna go to the dealer, and talk to their manager and see if they ll sell me the old interface that laying around in their closet, bc now they got the new ones for new car models( the new interface also supports the old cars)

If they dont sell me that one, and i dont find an original one, i will buy the chinese and see what that thing does. bc it depends on the quality of the clone. some clones do everything like the original, some dont see certain things.

so to recap:
1.call that dealer warehouse place, ask abt old interface
2.if that fails, go to nissan dealer, see whats up
3.if that fails, buy chinese and see whats up
4.if chinese fails, then i'm s h i t out of luck, unless i find the original interface or buy the the new consult 3+ VI for 2200(now, thats only the interface, not the whole kit), which i really dont want to do.

p.s. also the first two links in the first message r different consult models(older ones) they wont work with cars that have a 16 pid obd 2 port, and they r probably chinese also haha.

also, the stuff that u see on ebay for 1500, is not real, its chinese, but the VI thats there looks exactly like the new consult 3+. so dont buy that. there is a kit i believe for 13k and 21k, the one for 21 k is exactly the same as 13k , but also comes with a GTR card, to programm gtr stuff.

also, if everything goes good and this little experiment works, then i will let those who want to know where to get the software, and the original interface, till then there is no point.

and if any of you know something i dont, please share, as i'm new to this topic, and dont know everything abt it.

Last edited by Cookiezor; 05-18-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Cookiezor

another update,

i called the warehouse place that supplies the dealers and they refused to even give me the part number for the interface bc im not a dealer.

then i found a place that actually sells real consult and other stuff for other makes to reg ppl. they said that they dont have anymore left.

then i tried calling the dealerships, and unfortunately they did not answer as if phone was disconnected. i ll try again, but dont have much hope.

i dont feel like buying the chinese clone bc ther is a big chance it might not work

so for the time being i will get another software , its called Nissan DATASCAN, its a software that scans very thoroughly like the consult, but i believe without any self tests.
i will get that as an app and also Torque app, that way they both will compliment each other. and with that i will work on my problem taht caused me to think of consult in the first place, maybe later when i feel like it i ll get the chinese clone and see whats up, but right now im' a bit frustrated with this.

but, if u do happen to get a real interface, i can provide u with real software if u want.just pm me.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Save your money on that Chinese ebay crap and just get a Snap-on Modus Ultra. Be prepared to spend a lot of money if you want a decent tool. You can spend a lot more money and get a real Consult III from http://www.gt-rr.com/consult-iii but it'll take forever to come in and it'll only work on Nissans.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 AM
M-train

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Save your money on that Chinese ebay crap and just get a Snap-on Modus Ultra. Be prepared to spend a lot of money if you want a decent tool. You can spend a lot more money and get a real Consult III from http://www.gt-rr.com/consult-iii but it'll take forever to come in and it'll only work on Nissans.
I think what you just posted IS the reason he is trying to find something else.

The Consult tool in the link is over $8k, and like you mentioned it ONLY works for Nissans.

I would agree that the Snap on tool would be the way [used] to go IF, it will unlock the immobilizer, and do some of the functions that the Consult does.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I would agree that the Snap on tool would be the way [used] to go IF, it will unlock the immobilizer, and do some of the functions that the Consult does.
The Chinese ebay Consult tool has been discussed all over web. The general consensus is that it sucks. I almost bought one when they first started showing up on ebay. I'm now glad I didn't. Most of the Consult III functions on those don't work and you actually need to have a Panasonic Toughbook to get the software to even interface properly with the ECM. You can forget about getting updates, so it's a paperweight for anything built after 2012.

If you need access to the Consult because the Modus won't do the job; a pretty rare thing, given all the $$$$$$ Snap-On spends on licensing the technology directly from the car manufacturers, then you should take it in to the dealership and get butt-pounded like the rest of us to get the work done correctly using proper equipment. Don't forget, all you need to do is feed one bad signal to the ECM and it's toast. I wouldn't risk those kind of bi-directional antics on a no-name tool that's using hacked software by someone you can't collect from. Hell, a bad ECM can set you back upwards of $2K after you weigh in diagnostics and buying parts. It just isn't worth it.

Last edited by zakmartin; 05-21-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Cookiezor

yes, chinese sucks, thast why i was looking for original, but worth a try(later tho)
and abt the toughbook, there is a way around that. if i get a real VI, then i ll show yall the software and u can tell me if its fake or not. but from what i hear of other ppl who have it - its not, but they got the real VI's also. so we ll see.
right now i'm getting an android and putting NIssan Datascan on it, so i could solve my problem cause i gotta get that thing driving again, so thats my number 1 priority. if anything else emerges, then i ll update.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM
M-train

I wonder if this would work to reflash a Nissan?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drew-Technologies-Inc-CDPLUS-KIT-CarDAQ-Plus-J2534-Flash-Reprogramming-Kit-/261902207660?hash=item3cfa968aac&item=261902207660&vxp=mtr
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Cookiezor

here u go,http://www.j2534reprogrammer.com/j2534-faqs.html
seems like a valuable option. i just might to look into that , but later ofcourse.

or u could get an ORISIR tuner edition by Uprev for 750, i believe it does that. but we r discussing the diagnostic tool of Consult, not so much as tuning stuff. i'm not sure if what u mentined can diagnose and perform self tests and all that diag stuffs.

Last edited by Cookiezor; 05-28-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Check this out...price point is around 1k, but it looks like it has pretty comprehensive bi-directional capabilities. This autel model is sold at harbor freight, which is how I found out about it.

http://www.autel.us/Products/ds708.htm
Old 05-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by guitman32
Check this out...price point is around 1k, but it looks like it has pretty comprehensive bi-directional capabilities. This autel model is sold at harbor freight, which is how I found out about it.

http://www.autel.us/Products/ds708.htm

that thing looks wicked, i really wonder how it compares and how deep the functions r. definitely caught my eye! but it being harbor freight kinda gives some doubt, just a hair one

i will look into it more ad read some reviews and all

great find man!
Old 05-30-2015, 05:55 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Techmate is the company that makes the Consult. The only way you're going to get a C3 is to find one used. Techmate doesn't even make them any more. Dealers are all using Consult 3-Plus now. Even if you manage to get one, it will be obsolete fairly quickly since the C3+ gets updated every night. Not trying to kill the dream, but this is the reality of the situation. Nissan makes it hard to get and very expensive because the C3+ can do stuff that can terminally f**k your car up if you don't know what you're doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: consult 3