Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How do you reset the security lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 07:03 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How do you reset the security lockout?

I've finished building my new engine, VQ35DE automatic, and had it up, and running.

Anyway, after running the engine on/off for a few minutes for about three days I decided to adjust the neutral safety switch.

As you all know the shifter won't move unless the battery is installed, and the key is ON.

After setting the ns switch I plugged the neg battery cable back to the battery.

The key was still ON, as it won't turn to off with the battery disconnected so I had a little difficulty getting the batt cable back on quickly, and got a few sparks. [note: this isn't a 350Z, but shares lots of the same parts, and I think the same ECU, which is why I had to pull the battery to get to the ns switch]

Now the damned engine won't start. NO spark, or voltage to the injectors. The fuel pump still works, and I have fuel to the rail.

Also, the security light, which usually blinks every few seconds is now OFF. I've read when the security [NATs] shuts the car down you get a solid red light, but like I said mine is dead, as in NO light at all.

Also, IF I can reset the NATS how will I know, will the horn beep, lights flash, or something?

Last edited by M-train; 05-17-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

if you're referring to NATS (not VATS), I have no idea whether it can be reset manually. It usually requires a CONSULT III reprogram at the dealer.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM
M-train

Originally Posted by dkmura
if you're referring to NATS (not VATS), I have no idea whether it can be reset manually. It usually requires a CONSULT III reprogram at the dealer.
Edited.

I think I read on this forum that Uprev can bypass the NATs if you want. Of course I would have to buy the Uprev tuner, and send in my ECU, which may be an option as I don't want a car that will lock me out.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

While UpRev is an option (and you'll need to buy the cable and both the Cipher and Osiris programs) why would you want to eliminate NATS as a security option? Once programmed, it's a reliable theft-deterrent.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
M-train

Originally Posted by dkmura
While UpRev is an option (and you'll need to buy the cable and both the Cipher and Osiris programs) why would you want to eliminate NATS as a security option? Once programmed, it's a reliable theft-deterrent.
I don't like a security setup that shuts ME the OWNER of the car out of being able to drive the car.

There are several ways of keeping your car safe from thieves if you know how.

Also, I would bet that the people who want to steal theses cars have already came up with a way to do it.

Not to mention that these cars that have this crap are getting older, and the nats are starting to fail, and cause problems. I would be super pissed to have the nats malfunction, and lock me out [become inoperable] if I were on a trip many miles from home.

Last edited by M-train; 05-18-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by M-train
I don't like a security setup that shuts ME the OWNER of the car out of being able to drive the car.

There are several ways of keeping your car safe from thieves if you know how.

Also, I would bet that the people who want to steal theses cars have already came up with a way to do it.

Not to mention that these cars that have this crap are getting older, and the nats are starting to fail, and cause problems. I would be super pissed to have the nats malfunction, and lock me out [become inoperable] if I were on a trip many miles from home.
I've got several late model Nissan and an Infiniti model to look after and only one has had a NATS issue. My pre-order '03 track model has never had a NATS problem, so I'm not sure "older" cars are predestined to fail. This technology has proven to be both robust and reliable, with the only problems coming from having keys reprogrammed, replaced or other mods to the system itself.

But it's your car and your choice, so...
Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM
M-train

If you like the NATs setup that is fine with me, not a problem.

I;ve got several old muscle cars worth way more $$$$ than the Nissan, and all of the cars have simple, but effective ways to keep thieves away.

BUT, I can always disarm the security on them any time I want without the help, and $$$$ to the dealer.

All things mechanical, and electrical WILL FAIL eventually, its just a matter of when, and for me, they always pick the worst time........lol.

Last edited by M-train; 05-18-2015 at 01:24 PM.