Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Passenger side floor mat wet after rain. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Stevefromsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side floor mat wet after rain. Help!

My 2004 350Z Roadster's passenger side floor mat was wet after driving in the rain last week. The top isn't leaking so I know that's not it. I didn't even know the floor mat was wet until it smelled like mildew the next day. I also had a few drops of water fall on my left leg while driving in the rain another time but it was only a few drops. Any idea why there is a leak on the passenger side? It's supposed to rain tomorrow too... Is there a place other than the dealer that can fix it? I can only imagine what the dealer will charge.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

The most obvious culprit would be the top, if you can guarantee that's not leaking, then check the passenger side door weather stripping, especially the area that seals off the window.

If only the carpet/floor mat was damp/wet and not the seat, then you may have a floor pan leak somewhere. You will need to pull up the carpet to solve that one.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Check to see if you have any loose or broken grommets on the firewall in the area around the leak. Also, check to see if your passenger side rearview mirror is loose. If it is, tighten it up. A good way to check for leaks is to remove the passenger seat, pull the carpet back, have a friend run a hose against the car when it's dry out (start at the top and work your way down) and when it starts to drip, you're in the right place.

Another possibility is that the evaporator drain spout is clogged and needs to be blown out (check for dampness around the blower motor housing area).

(edit) Be sure to disconnect your battery and wait 20 minutes if you're going to pull the seat out, since you'll be unplugging your airbag harness.

Also, check the cowling under the hood to see if there's any crud from trees, bugs, etc. clogging the drain holes. If there is, water could conceivably back up in the cowling area during a rain storm and cause water to pour down your fresh air intake, causing a puddle in your passenger floor area.

Last edited by zakmartin; 05-20-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:04 AM
Pelicanpirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Check to see if you have any loose or broken grommets on the firewall in the area around the leak. Also, check to see if your passenger side rearview mirror is loose. If it is, tighten it up. A good way to check for leaks is to remove the passenger seat, pull the carpet back, have a friend run a hose against the car when it's dry out (start at the top and work your way down) and when it starts to drip, you're in the right place.

Another possibility is that the evaporator drain spout is clogged and needs to be blown out (check for dampness around the blower motor housing area).

(edit) Be sure to disconnect your battery and wait 20 minutes if you're going to pull the seat out, since you'll be unplugging your airbag harness.

Also, check the cowling under the hood to see if there's any crud from trees, bugs, etc. clogging the drain holes. If there is, water could conceivably back up in the cowling area during a rain storm and cause water to pour down your fresh air intake, causing a puddle in your passenger floor area.
Hi, how could you prevent water draining through the fresh air vent. Mine is just a cross wire covered opening in that shelf under the cowling.I was thinking of running some same size ducting from it to the area below it....water cant flow uphill can it ?