Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 PM
SFerg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of acceleration power and flashing "set" cruise control light

So I don't know what could of caused this issue
It is intermittent.

2005 Nissan 350z Enthusiast Automatic
Car is stock, wheels/OEM tail lights (not LED)
Oem reverse bulbs though?
I have reset the ECM
0 Christmas Tree lights on dash (Except for airbag, who doesn't have that with these cars!)

Also, when I brake, those little white side markers in the headlights light up, is this normal?

It feels like it has half the pull that it usually does (Half power, like a 100hp car...)
Also cruise control cannot be set and the set light blinks

Now I have done some research, but cannot find a fix.

This is from the service manual-
"When the ECM detects any of the following conditions, the ECM will cancel the cruise operation and inform the driver by blinking indicator lamp.
-Engine coolant temperature is slightly higher than the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp may blink slowly.
-When the engine coolant temperature decreases to the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp will stop blinking and the cruise operation will be able to work by pressing SET switch or RESUME switch.
-Malfunction for some self-diagnoses regarding ASCD control: SET lamp will blink quickly. If MAIN switch is turned to OFF during ASCD is activated, all of ASCD operations will be canceled and vehicle speed memory will be erased."

Anywhere where I can get my ECM codes read for free? I don't think O'reillys scanners are capable of doing so.

This is similar to my issue: http://tinyurl.com/kq4xy9z

Changing the spark plugs in the morning.
Reverse Lights/TailLights use the same harness that goes to ECU. THis is my problem. I will post back tomorrow and let you all know if this fixes it.

Last edited by SFerg; 05-21-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I doubt any of the things you are doing will "fix" your problem. A couple of questions:

1) How many miles are on your car and when did you buy it?
2) Has your Z always exhibited these problems?
3) How did you "reset" the ECM?

Most car parts stores have scanners can read Nissan codes through the OBD2 port. Get it done and report back.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM
SFerg

Car has 118,000 miles - Clean Title - Purchased June 6th, 2014
On April 15th I put in LED Reverse bulbs
On April 24th I brought my car to the body shop (Repaint, new bumper, etc) All parts were removed (Front/Rear bumper - Only parts with connectors)
On May 18th I picked my car up, this is when the problem occurred (This is intermittent, off and on) I reassembled the Z, I know everything is plugged in.

I went to O'reilly yesterday and had them try to read the code. They came up with NOTHING.

ECM was reset by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes
Also reset it by following the ECM reset procedure. Hard Accel/Depress etc.

Last edited by SFerg; 05-22-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM
SFerg

SO I have been reading that LED tail lights can cause this issue to due a voltage drop.
SO why can't malfunctioning tail lights? They can! 3 out of 4 of my break light bulbs weren't working. Thus decrease in voltage because it can't sense anything there
Gonna start my car after I do these spark plugs and see what's up
Old 05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If the problem started after you did something to the car, logic dictates you un-do what you did and see if the problem goes away. Get rid of the LEDs first.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 PM
SFerg

Originally Posted by zakmartin
If the problem started after you did something to the car, logic dictates you un-do what you did and see if the problem goes away. Get rid of the LEDs first.
Issue was OEM NON LED tailight bulbs were out.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:05 PM
eugene_k1234

I have the same issue but it only happens after I turn on my lights my brake light is also consistent I have a 2005 350Z 47k miles and it has aftermarket tail lights and headlight I’m thinking I hooked up the wrong wires or something.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:20 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Put the OEM tail lights back in and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by eugene_k1234
I have the same issue but it only happens after I turn on my lights my brake light is also consistent I have a 2005 350Z 47k miles and it has aftermarket tail lights and headlight I’m thinking I hooked up the wrong wires or something.
Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Put the OEM tail lights back in and see if that resolves the issue.
Aftermarket lights F&R…. Heel is correct. ^^^ R&R the lights then see. Those aftermarket lights almost always seem to create issues like this. That’s why the only “recommended” non-OE lights are Depo, which are so close to OE quality that they’re likely non-branded originals from same mfgr. (Conjecture) The Z is both smart and stupid In its “self diagnostics”. The presence of a voltage drop that triggers a warning…. Fair enough but dayam, it’s really sensitive.

What I find amusing is it doesn’t register higher than normal draws as a fault. (I have 50w ballasts and bulbs and never a problem.)
Old 11-10-2022, 05:03 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

I might have lucked out with my aftermarket LED tails. I went with these about 10 years ago and have never had any problems. The original ebay page is long gone, but the seller is the same and they're still listed as "Anzo/Eagle Eyes."

No guarantees they will work flawlessly with your Z, but they seem to play nice with mine.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:47 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I might have lucked out with my aftermarket LED tails. I went with these about 10 years ago and have never had any problems. The original ebay page is long gone, but the seller is the same and they're still listed as "Anzo/Eagle Eyes."

No guarantees they will work flawlessly with your Z, but they seem to play nice with mine.
Yup, they're not all bad but to avoid any issues, were I going that way, I'd just up to the OE '06 tails or the JDM two-panel units that used to be plentiful. But for the sake of testing, put the stocks back in and see what's what. Good luck!