Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Upgrade factory nav w/ factory nav - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 PM
mike613ottawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade factory nav w/ factory nav - possible?

I have an '03 350z with factory nav. A couple of years ago, the nav screen stopped working. Instead of replacing the screen with a used one from another 03-05 and being stuck with Zenrin maps v.6.x, I'm wondering what would be required to be able to use the Zenrin maps v.7.x DVD from the 06-08 350Z's. Is it a limitation of the screen, the DVD unit, or maybe something else altogether - in what part is the "brain" of the nav system located? I am hoping that if it is the screen, perhaps I could install a used one from an 06-08 and then be able to run v.7.x (likely with some frankensteining of the wiring harness).

Most of the eBay ads seem to suggest that screens from 03-08 are all the same, but some ads show compatibility between 03-04, 05-08, etc. I called a couple of Nissan dealers but they said they had no idea.

Some background info on the problem... The DVD player sounds two long beeps shortly after starting the car, and the screen never comes on. I can also hear the DVD randomly "reading" the disc as I drive around. I've taken everything apart and checked for power and ground at all the connectors and tested the switch in the door/cover, so my conclusion is that it is likely the screen unit, as the symptoms are the same when I physically disconnect the screen.

Any input is much appreciated!!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:47 AM
pr_350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does not have navigation, but from what I've seen on other cars(Mini's) the map info is stored on the DVD disk itself, although there is the concern that Nav usually has a compability range(because of the software used to read the maps themselves, which sometimes can be updated with another disk), and then again the screen might have different plugs.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:21 PM
mike613ottawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That is correct - there are two DVD's; one is a system disc which is used once to load the software, and then it is replaced with a second disc containing the map data which is left in the DVD unit at all times. You can hear the DVD seeking every few minutes while driving around as it reloads the map data based on where you are driving.

Any further info/suggestions...?

Thanks again!!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM
pr_350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you're welcome, as far as suggestions... well i'd just stick with what you know already works in the car, messing with the harness if you could "frankensteing" it, could call for trouble as this cars have electrical issues from what I've seen. Ask yourself if its worth the risk and money to have the other map versions. Good luck with the car!