Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sweating in Florida! AC Problem

Old 07-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Zya27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweating in Florida! AC Problem

Hey guys,

My Z sat for a two weeks while i was on vacation and when i came back i found the AC not getting cool/cold at all. It was ice cold the last day before vacation. From my inspection...

-It blows hot air.
-The compressor clutch does engage/disenage when i turn the AC on/off.
-The belts look fine (including tension).
-No weird noises.
-The compressor does not shut itself off for any reason unless i turn off the AC.
-No dashboard lights/codes.

After reading the threads here, I took it to a repair place for a recharge with dye leak check and they said the refrigerant is completely full and i need a new compressor and dryer - quote ~$1,100. They said the compressor is "all broken up on the inside and shooting metal around the ac system."

I took the car back. Any recommendations on anything I can check to confirm this or help figure out the problem?

its REALLY hot in Florida. thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:24 PM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

not much the normal individual can do when it comes to a/c... you can get a gauge at the auto parts store to see if the compressor is pumping at all and verify the charge is up... but outside of that not much you can do within the "letter of the law"
Old 07-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Zya27

ok thanks superlim9. i might just run to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick up a gage to check the compressor.

also the weather just cooled off so i went outside and looked some more. i was able to see the flapper that switches between AC and heat and it is functioning properly. the fans are all working. any other ideas?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 AM
Zya27

update: i just dropped it off at a car repair place that i trust for a second opinion. ill update here when i get some news.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I am a little late to this but if your compressor grenaded it can leave no external signs of damage. If you hooked up a AC pressure gauge the high and low side would be similar pressures if the compressor was not working properly. The price also seems somewhat reasonable, not an expert on AC parts, as a full system replacement if often recommended as any left over metal shards will destroy the new new parts or just plug up the system.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Be very suspicious of that first shop.

Things to check:

1. When the a/c is on, are both radiator fans running ? There was a Nissan recall on them.

2. The electrical connections to the control ***** AND to the box behind them COME LOOSE sometimes. Double and triple check these connections.

I was in your situation twice, and the above tips solved the problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Zya27

Thanks for the replies guys. I just spoke to the mechanic and he gave me the same diagnosis as the first place: its fully charged but not getting compression. he said high side was 110 and the low side was 80. and should be 200 high and 30 low. He quoted $865 total for parts and labor using a re-manufactured compressor ($423). I found some online in the $250-300 range so i might just order it an have him put it in. (he agreed to that).

Jcat: 1) both fans do come on. 2) the compressor clutch activates when i turn on the ac so im thinking its not the electrical controls.

im looking at getting the kit that comes with compressor, clutch, expansion valve and receiver dryer/accum (total ~$300 shipped). anyone have any other opinions or things to check before i order from rock auto?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Holy s*** $865? That seems expensive... then again I've never had to have AC work done.. but jesus.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

When a compressor does fail, it can pump a bunch of junk into the condensor, and that part usually requires replacement at the same time. I've seen compressor warranties stating that if the condensor isn't replaced that there isn't a valid warranty on the compressor. The expansion valve is pretty far downstream, and you'd save a bunch of labor not having that replaced, and if the lines and evaporator flush cleanly, that might be the say to go. The compressor is enough of a PITA to replace in the Z, but the expansion valve is behind/under the dash, and that looks pretty awful, too.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
When a compressor does fail, it can pump a bunch of junk into the condensor, and that part usually requires replacement at the same time. I've seen compressor warranties stating that if the condensor isn't replaced that there isn't a valid warranty on the compressor. The expansion valve is pretty far downstream, and you'd save a bunch of labor not having that replaced, and if the lines and evaporator flush cleanly, that might be the say to go. The compressor is enough of a PITA to replace in the Z, but the expansion valve is behind/under the dash, and that looks pretty awful, too.
OP, just go the natural route. Windows down.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 AM
Zya27

pengu,
i would but i have a problem with that too!- the common issue of the erratic window motor.

dcains,
i took your advice to skip the exp valve for now. its a good point on the condensor but i decided to wait and see if he can flush it. i ended up ordering just the compressor w/clutch and the receiver drier/accum. if there are more problems from there i will tackle them then.

thanks for the input guys- parts should be here next week and ill let you know how it goes. thanks!