Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need help for my brother's car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:33 PM
AFG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for my brother's car

Hi everyone… It’s hard posting on this site on behalf of my brother. It’s so hard to talk and it’s hard to even hear the inner voice in my head. My brother was AFG on here and we lost him on October 5th of 2014. To make a long story short, I’m driving his car now because I know that’s what he would have wanted. He maintained his car like no one I’ve ever seen and I want to keep up the maintenance. His clutch is starting to go out and I don’t want to get an OEM one. I did some research on here and it seems that a lot of people have been complaining about loud noise when they’ve replaced their flywheel. I use this car as my daily driver and I would like to upgrade the clutch with an aftermarket. What combination of clutch and flywheel would you suggest that I can use that won’t be a pain in the *** for daily driving, that has good performance and doesn’t have the noise that everyone’s complaining about?

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Sorry for your loss, I reccomend JWT clutch and flywheel.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bro. I know how difficult it is, since my younger brother passed two years ago. As to your question, I hope you rethink your idea of ruling out an OEM clutch, as they are usually quiet and reliable for a DD. The Nissan value plus kits include a new clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and ancillary parts. If you haven't completely destroyed the flywheel, it could be a cost-effective alternative.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Conway_160
+1 If you are absolutely certain you want to go aftermarket.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
gearhead350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pengu
+1 If you are absolutely certain you want to go aftermarket.
Sorry to hear about your bro man but I would go with JWT forsure I had it but the throwout bearing locked up and completely ****ed the clutch so now I have to go back to stock, but I loved that clutch so JWT in my opinion
Old 07-21-2015, 06:43 PM
gearhead350

Originally Posted by AFG
Hi everyone… It’s hard posting on this site on behalf of my brother. It’s so hard to talk and it’s hard to even hear the inner voice in my head. My brother was AFG on here and we lost him on October 5th of 2014. To make a long story short, I’m driving his car now because I know that’s what he would have wanted. He maintained his car like no one I’ve ever seen and I want to keep up the maintenance. His clutch is starting to go out and I don’t want to get an OEM one. I did some research on here and it seems that a lot of people have been complaining about loud noise when they’ve replaced their flywheel. I use this car as my daily driver and I would like to upgrade the clutch with an aftermarket. What combination of clutch and flywheel would you suggest that I can use that won’t be a pain in the *** for daily driving, that has good performance and doesn’t have the noise that everyone’s complaining about?

Thank you in advance!
Sorry to hear about your bro man but I would go with JWT forsure I had it but the throwout bearing locked up and completely ****ed the clutch so now I have to go back to stock, but I loved that clutch so JWT in my opinion
Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by AFG

Thank you in advance!
Wow, sorry to hear about your bro. My condolences.

As far as the clutch, all suggestions here are good ones. Nothing wrong with stock clutch replacement (and, as I just noted on gearhead30's post about returning to a stock clutch, one can be had for less money than a JWT or just about anything else).

The "noise" you refer to typically accompanies the switchover to a lightweight flywheel. While they're good at giving a little extra "revability" of the engine, I find the downside of lightweight aluminum flywheels outweigh the advantages running on the street.

There are a couple of alternatives offering good acceleration but NOT having all of the noise, engine lugging at cruise and so forth.

One, to reinforce the majority opinion of this thread, JWT offers their clutch package that features a new, IRON (like OEM) single mass flywheel to replace the DMF of the stock Z. Inertia of the heavier flywheel eliminates the lugging issue and allows for smoother operation. It's a little lighter than stock AND features the replaceable friction material on it's surface so - as someone else noted - should last through at least two clutch changes.

Another similar option would be the Southbend units. Couple their HD clutch with their billet flywheel and that would make a really good, streetable-but-subject-to-abuse combination.

All in all, JWT is probably the closest thing to a "standardized replacement" for the Z33 and likely one of the biggest sellers. That said, I went JWT for my Nismo (but not yet installed), a decision backed by my shop, highly regarded in the Z world.

Good luck.

Mic
Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
AFG

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Thank you Conway! He was my younger brother and he was my life. He was 25 years old and we were 8 years apart but we were inseparable.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
AFG

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry to hear about your bro. I know how difficult it is, since my younger brother passed two years ago. As to your question, I hope you rethink your idea of ruling out an OEM clutch, as they are usually quiet and reliable for a DD. The Nissan value plus kits include a new clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and ancillary parts. If you haven't completely destroyed the flywheel, it could be a cost-effective alternative.
I’m sorry for your loss as well. It’s been 9 months since my brothers accident and although life is moving on, I’m dragging pretty badly.

Thanks for your advice… I haven’t ruled out the OEM clutch, I am just leaning towards an aftermarket since I know that’s what my brother would have done. I know if there was a loud rattling noise from the lightened flywheel, it would most likely annoy him. So far, the JWT clutch kit seems to be the most popular.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM
AFG

Originally Posted by gearhead350
Thank you for the advice gearhead!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
AFG

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Wow, sorry to hear about your bro. My condolences.

As far as the clutch, all suggestions here are good ones. Nothing wrong with stock clutch replacement (and, as I just noted on gearhead30's post about returning to a stock clutch, one can be had for less money than a JWT or just about anything else).

The "noise" you refer to typically accompanies the switchover to a lightweight flywheel. While they're good at giving a little extra "revability" of the engine, I find the downside of lightweight aluminum flywheels outweigh the advantages running on the street.

There are a couple of alternatives offering good acceleration but NOT having all of the noise, engine lugging at cruise and so forth.

One, to reinforce the majority opinion of this thread, JWT offers their clutch package that features a new, IRON (like OEM) single mass flywheel to replace the DMF of the stock Z. Inertia of the heavier flywheel eliminates the lugging issue and allows for smoother operation. It's a little lighter than stock AND features the replaceable friction material on it's surface so - as someone else noted - should last through at least two clutch changes.

Another similar option would be the Southbend units. Couple their HD clutch with their billet flywheel and that would make a really good, streetable-but-subject-to-abuse combination.

All in all, JWT is probably the closest thing to a "standardized replacement" for the Z33 and likely one of the biggest sellers. That said, I went JWT for my Nismo (but not yet installed), a decision backed by my shop, highly regarded in the Z world.

Good luck.

Mic
That was great feedback. Thank you!

I will do more research over the weekend and keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

Saeid

Last edited by AFG; 07-22-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

jwt or southbend has one that is supposed to be quite

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Sou...t-Quiet-DE.htm
Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM
AFG

Thanks for all the help guys... I spoke to Joe from South Bend and he's recommending that I do the slave and master cylinders as well and that 350z's have a big problem with those breaking. Joe recommended this kit http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Sou...OMP-HR350Z.htm. Can you guys comment on that? I was expecting to pay around $700-800 for a clutch kit but now its up to $1500 with SouthBend's complete kit.

Last edited by AFG; 07-24-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by AFG
Thanks for all the help guys... I spoke to Joe from South Bend and he's recommending that I do the slave and master cylinders as well and that 350z's have a big problem with those breaking. Joe recommended this kit http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Sou...OMP-HR350Z.htm. Can you guys comment on that? I was expecting to pay around $700-800 for a clutch kit but now its up to $1500 with SouthBend's complete kit.
It's an '07-08 HR?

OK, yeah, if you're doing the HR version clutch then yes, the ZSpeed CSC is the ONLY way to go and should be done at the time of clutch replacement since it's an internal part (requiring tranny to be dropped). Replacing with OEM CSC may lead to failure down the road as this is a KNOWN issue.

Were I doing this (and I am... parts in the garage already but waiting for clutch or CSC to fail....I bought preemptively and because I hate the pedal feel in the car now but am living with it.):

Clutch & Flywheel package:
https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=19157

CSC: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=4592
Optional ZSpeed clutch line is a good call ($35 more) but not necessary.

Clutch Master: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=8797 Nissan OEM is fine.

Parts alone: <$1k or around there.
Plus fluids, labor, etc.

Good luck!

Mic
Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM
andrewvk

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ive had my jwt flywheel and aftermarket clutch on for about a week and im pretty pissed off it wasnt factory.

it does take some getting used to if you have been dailying the 350 for a while. most of my drift applications are set up this was and it still has taken about a full week to get used to it.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:43 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
It's an '07-08 HR?

OK, yeah, if you're doing the HR version clutch then yes, the ZSpeed CSC is the ONLY way to go and should be done at the time of clutch replacement since it's an internal part (requiring tranny to be dropped). Replacing with OEM CSC may lead to failure down the road as this is a KNOWN issue.

Were I doing this (and I am... parts in the garage already but waiting for clutch or CSC to fail....I bought preemptively and because I hate the pedal feel in the car now but am living with it.):

Clutch & Flywheel package:
https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=19157

CSC: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=4592
Optional ZSpeed clutch line is a good call ($35 more) but not necessary.

Clutch Master: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=8797 Nissan OEM is fine.

Parts alone: <$1k or around there.
Plus fluids, labor, etc.

Good luck!

Mic
not if, it will. i replaced mine with oem the first time, year later it went out again. although (sorry mic) i wouldn't put in the oem master, i would go wilwood or tilton
Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM
gearhead350

Originally Posted by AFG
Thank you for the advice gearhead!
No problem man, I'm sure your bro Is very proud of you taking car of his Z, good luck man take care of her
Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by travlee
not if, it will. i replaced mine with oem the first time, year later it went out again. although (sorry mic) i wouldn't put in the oem master, i would go wilwood or tilton
No apology necessary.... I was set on Tilton but Rob at Z Car Garage says not needed. Welllllll, He hasn't steered me wrong yet so....

Saw OEM somewhee else but can't remember where.

In any event, so long as it gets changed out...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 PM
AFG

Hey guys... Just an update. I spoke to Brandon from Concept Z Performance and he was very helpful and informative. I ended up going with a JWT Clutch / Flywheel Combo, Z Speed Performance ZSP ZSP2006 350Z Heavy Duty CSC Concentric Slave Cylinder and a Nissan OEM 350Z Clutch Master Cylinder. Parts go in on Monday. I'll provide another update after the install.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:37 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I'd be very interested to hear how the car feels when you're done with the install. That new CSC makes me drool.

Quick Reply: Need help for my brother's car