Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car keeps blowing fuel pump fuse?! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM
07zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps blowing fuel pump fuse?! HELP

Somebody help me out! okay guys I have a problem.. couple weeks ago i was driving and my fuel pump fuse randomly blew, i had noticed for a while my voltage gauge was reading high so i figured it was just the alternator going bad thus over charging. i replaced the alternator and seemed as if the problem was fixed, i drove the car for a day and a half with no problems. today i was driving and decided to get on it real quick going around a corner, everything was fine until about a mile down the road i got to a stop light and the car died, i knew what it was so i changed the fuse in traffic real quick and it fired right up. i drove an 1/8th mile down the road and blew a fuse again. replaced it, drove another mile and it blew again! at this point i coasted into somebody's driveway and replaced the fuse again (i didn't wanna be stranded on the road i was hoping i could get home), as soon as i started the car and started backing up the fuse blew within 10 feet. i used my last fuse and replaced it again and as soon as the car turned over it blew the last fuse, didn't even have time to idle. At this point i called the tow truck and got towed home.. I'm guessing a short somewhere but also hear it may be a bad fuel pump causing the fuse to blow.. any ideas? i don't wanna order a pump and drop the tank and such just to have the same thing happen like i did with the alternator. the reason I'm thinking a short is because everything was fine until i got on it around the corner and i assume this caused some wires to move around (one being bare) and shorting out against something and now it may just be laying on some metal... any ideas? Where to start?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You access the fuel pump assembly from the glove box - dont gotta drop the tank(I don't think). If you did nothing (other than swap out a alternator) and this fuse keeps going then you have a short. It may not be the pump but something in the fuel basket assembly that is causing the short. There are an abnormal amount of exposed and/or wires in the fuel basket.

Read up on CJ Motorsports instructions on how to install the Walbro 255lph fuel pump and the factory service manual to replace the fuel pump. I have an extra VQDE fuel pump you can throw in there to test if you want - PM me...double check that it's compatible with a 07/08...
Old 08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You probably have a short somewhere in the harness. It's going to be a pain to follow the wires to figure out where the short is happening. I use
one of these one of these
to check for shorts, but I've had success in the past using
one of these one of these
as well. [Amazon links]

Finding a short is a pain, but if you're methodical about it, you should find it in under an hour. Start from the battery and work your way to the component whose fuses are popping. Check all the looms, tape, connectors, etc. Disconnect any cables you can and reconnect (I usually spritz some deoxIT in the molex connectors when I do this). If you have a short in your fuel pump, then you really want to prioritize finding where it is (gasoline loves electric arcs). A wiring diagram will help you tremendously. YouTube has a ton of how-to videos on the subject.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Vigman

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A thought.. have you ( or someone else ) messed with the subwoofer? The fuel pump is hiding in that hole ( more or less ). There are 2 senders for the gauge, but only 1 pump...If your car has HEAVY aftermarket wiring ( Xtra BOOM sub, new head unit, alarm, etc etc ) I would start at the Fuel pump wiring and work your way forward.
I would also put an amp meter inline with the pump directly and let the car idle a bit while watching it LIGHLY tapping on the top of the fuel pump housing to see if you get a SPIKE in current draw....
BUT
You also stated you had an over voltage issue, just HOW MUCH over 14 volts?? And are you a person who runs the tank down to fumes ? It is POSSIBLE that the pump itself is toast and there are NO wiring issues.....
Old 09-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Vigman

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh there is a condenser that lives across the fuel pump motor ( to get rid of RF interference ) Shop manual EC-639 ( I assume you can read a schematic? ) you COULD LIFT THAT out of circuit for testing.
And what value fuse did you use AND are these GOOD FUSES or the Harbor Freight 50 for a buck.....?

Mike