Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Idle and oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 PM
2alien10p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle and oil pressure issues

Okay I've searched and couldn't really find anything, found bits and bits but doesn't really help. Anyway. I have a 03 touring manual with 147k miles. I have an issue with the idle, it idles perfectly fine but lets say im in traffic and im in first gear, i inch foward a bit and once i release the clutch to place it back in normal my idle sometimes dips low too around 350 and feels like its about to stall, then bounces back up to regular idle after a second. While it's doing that the oil pressure drops a little bit too, any ideas? Car runs great besides that issue, I've cleaned the MAF sensor already thinking it was that but it didnt really help im still having the same issue. Oh my tb valve is slightly well i dont wanna say open at closing position im not sure if its supposed to be like this or not but it stays shut kinda at like an angle --> like / instead of |? Its probably a few cm off being at a perfect 90 degree angle. Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 AM
2alien10p

Originally Posted by 2alien10p
Okay I've searched and couldn't really find anything, found bits and bits but doesn't really help. Anyway. I have a 03 touring manual with 147k miles. I have an issue with the idle, it idles perfectly fine but lets say im in traffic and im in first gear, i inch foward a bit and once i release the clutch to place it back in normal my idle sometimes dips low too around 350 and feels like its about to stall, then bounces back up to regular idle after a second. While it's doing that the oil pressure drops a little bit too, any ideas? Car runs great besides that issue, I've cleaned the MAF sensor already thinking it was that but it didnt really help im still having the same issue. Oh my tb valve is slightly well i dont wanna say open at closing position im not sure if its supposed to be like this or not but it stays shut kinda at like an angle --> like / instead of |? Its probably a few cm off being at a perfect 90 degree angle. Thanks guys
Any idea anyone?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Still using original plugs & coils? Ever had injectors checked? Did you do a live scan reading of your sensors, temps, long-term and short-term fuel trims, etc?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Its just getting older. I'd do plugs and a throttle body service, disconnect battery for a few minutes when complete to reset ecu.

Report back when these are finished and advise on results please.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:05 PM
2alien10p

Originally Posted by PP08HR
Its just getting older. I'd do plugs and a throttle body service, disconnect battery for a few minutes when complete to reset ecu.

Report back when these are finished and advise on results please.
New plugs one new coil pack, i was thinking it might've been the tb, ill service it soon, or i may just swap it with the NWP Tb but thanks ill keep you guys updated.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Vigman

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After market air filter? Use to much filter OIL ??? That can goof up your MAF ,but there is a SPRAY for that , if you get oil on the HOT WIRE ( the really thin one in the middle of the MAF ) it will not feed the proper info to the ECU...And YES a TB service never hurts...

2 chunks of info needed, 1) any CODES ? 2) Do you have access to a vac gauge ??

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by Vigman
And YES a TB service never hurts...
Fair warning: on the 350Z, it CAN hurt. I recommend that anyone who wants to clean or otherwise service their Z's throttle body(ies) read all the horror story posts from people who tried what on any other car would be such a simple procedure. Replacing these can get very expensive and for some reason, Nissan made it close to impossible to work on our TBs without Murphy raising his ugly head. Follow the FSM procedure religiously if you decide you want to do it anyway.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Vigman

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zak Yes that is true IF you do not KNOW what you are doing they are easy to destroy...
A person SHOULD know their limits...if in uncharted territory READ & UNDERSTAND THE FSM BEFORE proceeding..

Mike
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 AM
2alien10p

Yeh i read all the horror stories of the tb cleaning lol but when i changed out the vc gaskets ripping off the plenum and tb everything went by swimmingly, granted i did the exact same steps everyone else did when i was reading the stories of the tb issues, i didnt have to relearn anything either after i put everything back. But im gonna pick up the tb cleaner tomorrow or so and give it ago, but nobody answered my question about the tb positioning with it being closed at a little angle any ideas? Thanks everyone for the input though
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by Vigman
Zak Yes that is true IF you do not KNOW what you are doing they are easy to destroy...
A person SHOULD know their limits...if in uncharted territory READ & UNDERSTAND THE FSM BEFORE proceeding..

Mike
No argument from me there. The problem is, too many people who don't know their limits do it anyway thinking our car is like every other car they've worked on. Each car is unique (I've been wrenching for over 30 years, so I've seen just about everything that can go wrong when a home mechanic takes bad advice without questioning it and manages to turn a situation from bad to worse). These forum boards can be murder on cars because people with good intentions say, "I know exactly what it is! It's..." and then they give them a wrong answer.
The following users liked this post:
Vigman (09-12-2015)