Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Horn stuck on, Have been trying to diagnose out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Beater350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn stuck on, Have been trying to diagnose out of ideas

Just recently realized my horns no longer work, went to replace fuse now horns are stuck on.
I've replaced the horns bc one was no longer working at all
I've checked the relay i can hear it clicking when i have the horns disconnected
and the fuse in
tried having one horn connected same problem horn stuck on as soon as fuse is inserted
My friend who's a mechanic went through everything with a power probe and says there's continuity everywhere he says that the switch in the steering wheel is good.
Have spent a couple hours screwing around checking connections, im at the point where I want to just run some new wire to the existing switch in the steering wheel and bypass the old wire, the car was in a front end accident before i got it and was rewired by the previous owner done in the exact same fashion as stock the rest of the front end wiring is completely fine except for the horn does anybody have a wiring schematic for the front end so i can possibly find where the problem is or just follow is and run new wires, any help is much appreciated maybe im missing something easy that others have encountered, ive also searched but i cant seem to find something that is similar to my problem. to be honest i just need the horns to work for an inspection and that's it lol
Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Rule #1: Post the year of your car, the mileage and the trim!

No mechanic worth his salt can give you anything reliable without knowing this first.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Beater350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Rule #1: Post the year of your car, the mileage and the trim!

No mechanic worth his salt can give you anything reliable without knowing this first.
Apologies I thought 03-09 body wiring was the same
The car is an 03 touring
135,xxx miles got the car with 89k
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Vigman

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a ALMOST similar problem... Long story short ,
The clock spring ribbon had an intermittant short..
I had 1 horn blown and the fuse would last ~ 3 HONKS then POP.
I replaced the horn , no more fuse popping BUT if I armed tha alarm
HOONNNNNNKKKKKKKKK and the ONLY way I could get it to stop was to unlock and SLAM the door ( not the best fix ) ... then I thought it was the aftermarket alarm... pulled that out by the roots ( no change ) .. then I went through a series of tests of Wheels turned hard left , center, hard right... and EVERY TIME I was turned hard right and armed the alarm HHHHHHOOOONNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK...

So to PROVE that I disconnected the battery pulled the clock spring OUTPUT connector, powered back up...and no more random horn issues... re connected it same deal. Replaced the clock spring and problem SOLVED....Note my air bags were deployed.

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Beater350z
Apologies I thought 03-09 body wiring was the same
The car is an 03 touring
135,xxx miles got the car with 89k
Nope. Wiring changes all the time. Trim of the car will let me know what kind of clock spring connection you have in your steering wheel (cruise control, horn, stereo controls, etc.). Mileage lets me know how likely it is if you have a bad ground (due to corrosion or a loose fastener) or normal wear and tear on a component like a clock spring or a horn switch.

Start here for a wiring diagram. (See page 55)

Your full FSM is here. Download it if you haven't already. idx.pdf is your index.