Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Consumption..

Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM
smithmt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption..

Hey guys I have searched quite a bit trying to find similar situations to mine with a little luck so I figured I'd just post.. I have 03 350 with 187k miles.. Yes very high.. I have been getting a good amount of smoke on start up that lingered for a while I can't tell if it's blue or white but I do know that I am now a quart low on oil after 4 days of a good bit of driving.. So idk if this is a valve seals I have heard rumors of head gasket if it's white.. Idk I don't think it smells to sweet to be coolant and my coolant levels have not changed at all.. I have 5w30 full synthetic oil and was going to bump to 10w30 today. Maybe add some Lucas or something to help this. Do you agree with this to start and see f this makes a difference in how much oil it's burning? I do most work on my cars but haven't tacked a valve seals or anything like that before.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

do a leak down test....how many owners before you?

some reading on leak down test

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...-leakdown-test

Last edited by travlee; 09-11-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:27 PM
smithmt3

4 known, possibly more haven't done a carfax. It's been around the horn.. I will try that would you still recommend changing to the thicker oil and maybe a little oil additive like Lucas? That's a good article thanks I was about to search for something like that..

Last edited by smithmt3; 09-11-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:28 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i think you are trying to band-aid a bigger problem.... you need to figure out what the issue is
Old 09-11-2015, 03:30 PM
smithmt3

Originally Posted by travlee
i think you are trying to band-aid a bigger problem.... you need to figure out what the issue is
Yes true.. I kinda am in a way but would this reduce the problem? Potentially help? Not fix but help? How much could this issue cost to fix and if not fixed what are the potential damages to just asdding oil every week or when needed?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by smithmt3
Yes true.. I kinda am in a way but would this reduce the problem? Potentially help? Not fix but help? How much could this issue cost to fix and if not fixed what are the potential damages to just asdding oil every week or when needed?
Covering up this problem should not be your biggest concern. If you are simply blowing oil past the rings at the rate you describe, it'll help for only a short time. Your VQ is likely not making the compression it is designed for, straining other components. If the rings are that far gone, how bad are your rod or main bearings? The potential damage is catastrophic, so bandaids are not any sort of solution, unless you're desperate.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
smithmt3

Originally Posted by dkmura
Covering up this problem should not be your biggest concern. If you are simply blowing oil past the rings at the rate you describe, it'll help for only a short time. Your VQ is likely not making the compression it is designed for, straining other components. If the rings are that far gone, how bad are your rod or main bearings? The potential damage is catastrophic, so bandaids are not any sort of solution, unless you're desperate.
So what a rebuild is needed or what? It's going through some oil.. No question about it but I don't have the money to do a valve job or pull the rings I can't even imagine what that would cost.. Does that make me desprate? Haha what would you start with? Just feed it oil till I can afford to do the big job or what? Start with the leak down test and go from there?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So what a rebuild is needed or what? It's going through some oil.. No question about it but I don't have the money to do a valve job or pull the rings I can't even imagine what that would cost.. Does that make me desprate? Haha what would you start with? Just feed it oil till I can afford to do the big job or what? Start with the leak down test and go from there?
Don't laugh- you are desperate. The best you can do is attempt to get an accurate picture of what is burning all that oil. The VQ has won multiple powertrain awards for its design, but even the best engines won't survive for long with subpar lubrication. just be ready for the day (or night) when your engine shudders and stops running.

Don't throw good money at hokey solutions- there aren't any. At 187K miles, your engine is clearly telling you it needs a rebuild. If you enjoy your Z, do some serious research and save some money to DO THE JOB RIGHT.

Last edited by dkmura; 09-11-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:25 PM
smithmt3

Originally Posted by dkmura
Don't laugh- you are desperate. The best you can do is attempt to get an accurate picture of what is burning all that oil. The VQ has won multiple powertrain awards for its design, but even the best engines won't survive for long with subpar lubrication. just be ready for the day (or night) when your engine shutters and stops running.

Don't throw good money at hokey solutions- there aren't any. At 187K miles, your engine is clearly telling you it needs a rebuild. If you enjoy your Z, do some serious research and save some money to DO THE JOB RIGHT.
The Nissan dealer is the only place in town that works on Zs so that is going to be quite pricey no?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Nissan dealer is the only place in town that works on Zs so that is going to be quite pricey no?
Yes, that'll be the pricey option. You might go in and see if any of the techs do work outside of the dealership. If so, you could pay them on the side to check out your Z.