Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

O2 Sensor Not Ready Failed Emissions

Old 09-14-2015, 04:44 PM
350z_z33.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Not Ready Failed Emissions

This is really starting to get to me. I was previously running Straight Pipes, and now its time for emissions, so I switched back to my OEM Cats. I cleared the check engine light (the code for running striaght pipes). Then I spent hours and hours doing drive cycles over and over, and just today, I've spent 3 hours doing this cycle over and over again. I finished all the other Monitors really fast, like I was 10 minutes into my first cycle, and it worked out fine, but the O2 sensor is still inc. Like WTF???!!! I've drove for this whole week, spent at least 5 hours driving, bringing up the mileage on my car (which makes me hella sad), and spending all this time. I drove to get it tested last week, and I failed for being not ready. Then I drove it for all this time, and its still not ready when I check my OBD2 reader. I still haven't gotten any codes, after all this driving, so I don't have any problem to fix. Not sure what I should do, really need some advice. Maybe I can pass with 1 inc? I can't find anything online for Washington, and the number I dialed for assistance, they wouldn't pick up. Would I pass with 1 inc? Really need help here! Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz I'm literally stuck.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 04:45 PM
350z_z33.

Also the O2 sensors are obviously working because I completed the Catalyst test. So just an fyi,
Thanks again
Old 09-14-2015, 07:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

No idea what you mean by "1 inc"? You might want to hire a Nissan tech to check your work and clear any codes.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:28 PM
350z_z33.

Originally Posted by dkmura
No idea what you mean by "1 inc"? You might want to hire a Nissan tech to check your work and clear any codes.
It means 1 monitor incomplete (which is the O2 sensor). I was thinking of taking it in to Nissan, but I'm don't really see a problem to get fixed, and the cats are done correctly (from the point that the catalytic test passed). Also there aren't any codes to clear, which also get me confused because I shouldn't have a problem if I don't have any codes, especially after many drive cycles, still kinda confused?... anyone else got any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_z33.
It means 1 monitor incomplete (which is the O2 sensor). I was thinking of taking it in to Nissan, but I'm don't really see a problem to get fixed, and the cats are done correctly (from the point that the catalytic test passed). Also there aren't any codes to clear, which also get me confused because I shouldn't have a problem if I don't have any codes, especially after many drive cycles, still kinda confused?... anyone else got any suggestions?
Thanks
I know what you're talking about and I think you can pass with 1 of the monitors incomplete. Call your smog place and ask.

As far as passing the monitors you don't necessarily just have to drive it a lot. A cycle from what I understand is from cold to complete warm up to complete cool down. So drive it cold until it gets warm, scoot around a bit, park it and let it get cold then do it again. The ecu doesn't test every drive cycle so there's no telling where you're at.
The following users liked this post:
350z_z33. (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:31 PM
350z_z33.

Originally Posted by PP08HR
I know what you're talking about and I think you can pass with 1 of the monitors incomplete. Call your smog place and ask.

As far as passing the monitors you don't necessarily just have to drive it a lot. A cycle from what I understand is from cold to complete warm up to complete cool down. So drive it cold until it gets warm, scoot around a bit, park it and let it get cold then do it again. The ecu doesn't test every drive cycle so there's no telling where you're at.
Yup you were right! I sent them an email due to them not picking up the phone. And they replied back, and it turns out you were right! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Faasnu

Originally Posted by 350z_z33.
Yup you were right! I sent them an email due to them not picking up the phone. And they replied back, and it turns out you were right! Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
Did you ever figure out why the monitor never became ready?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:01 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Faasnu
Did you ever figure out why the monitor never became ready?
he hasnt logged in going on 2 years, might be waiting a bit for an answer