Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tie Rod End boot

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM
pr_350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Tie Rod End boot

Hello
Has anyone here replaced just the boot on their tie rod ends? for example with the energy suspensions polyurethane universal boots. If so what size did you use? I ask because they seem fine, just a torn boot so I don't see the need to replace both tie rod ends. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you're talking about your inner tie rod boots, it's a simple fix. I found these with a quick Google search:

Megan Racing Silicone Steering Boots

Outer tie rods are a bit more of a pain. Either way, you're going to need to get a front-end alignment done when you finish the job.

Inspect everything before you start buying parts. If there's ANY slop in the ball joint, just replace the whole part. I'm not a big fan of "universal" poly boots (or "universal" anything for that matter) on ball joints since the boots should be an exact fit to the ball joint. Poly boots don't give you a lot of play and are less forgiving when you compress them. I always recommend OEM, but if you're going aftermarket, get a Moog ball joint assembly with a zerk fitting. Grease the ball joints as part of your regular maintenance.

Here's a link to the how-to.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Not sure if the OEM outer end boot is serviceable, you may get it off but the new boot wouldnt be sealed at the base and still allow contaminants in. I would just run them until the ball joints start making noise then replace with new oem units.

If you do decide to replace you prob wont need an alignment if you can either leave the outer rod on or just tape off the threads on the inner rods and re-install them in the exact same position. Ive done this on several vehicles and had toe be in-spec next alignment.