Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattling noise coming from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM
dani3ln3al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattling noise coming from engine?

I recently had a coolant leak, and I could smell it fairly well. I ended up having to replace the radiator, radiator core support, shroud and fan so now the leak is no more.

After having everything replaced, whenever the A/C is off everything seems to be in working order and I don't smell anything. Whenever the A/C is on however, there is an unpleasant rattling sound that happens and I can smell the coolant again. The mechanic did say that the condensor was a bit twisted but he was able to put it back in place and said that it should work fine. Could this be the problem? If not, what is it?

Also, I feel like my engine idles lower than it used to (about 600-700rpm), but I could be wrong. I usually drive with the A/C on and it's my understanding that that usually causes your engine to idle a bit higher than when it's off.

I don't know if this information is relevant, but I have a 2007 350z Nismo with only 15k miles on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by dani3ln3al
I recently smacked a "curb" which tore up the front end causing the damage and the coolant leak, and I could smell it fairly well. I ended up having to replace the radiator, radiator core support, shroud and fan so now the leak is no more.

After having everything replaced, whenever the A/C is off everything seems to be in working order and I don't smell anything. Whenever the A/C is on however, there is an unpleasant rattling sound that happens and I can smell the coolant again. The mechanic did say that the condensor was a bit twisted but he was able to put it back in place and said that it should work fine. Could this be the problem? If not, what is it?

Also, I feel like my engine idles lower than it used to (about 600-700rpm), but I could be wrong. I usually drive with the A/C on and it's my understanding that that usually causes your engine to idle a bit higher than when it's off.

I don't know if this information is relevant, but I have a 2007 350z Nismo with only 15k miles on it.

Thanks in advance.

fixed and you answered your own question, if the condenser was a "little twisted" and doesn't make sound when off but when on.... you already know what the issue is

orignal post

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...50z-nismo.html

Last edited by travlee; 11-19-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Pretty sure a condensor isn't going to make a "rattling" sound. I'd give a closer listen with your head under the hood to see if you can localize the sound. Might be a damaged idler pulley, or the compressor, which sits low on the engine, may have taken a hit. Look/listen at the electric fans, too, as one of those may be the source of the noise, and one or both come on when you switch on the a/c.

As for the coolant smell, it might be that the old coolant wasn't properly rinsed off the engine and you might be smelling that residue. Again, open the hood and when the engine is up to normal temp, squeeze the top radiator hose. If the system is pressurized the hose will be very firm. Grab a flashlight and poke around and look for leaks and wet spots, but do that with the engine off so you don't loose any fingers in the pulleys and accessory belt. A small leak will allow the cooling system to pressurize, but the leak might be more obvious under pressure, and a big leak won't allow pressure to build up. It's just a rough check, but worth doing. Look at the level in the overflow tank, too.

You should probably take the car back to Nissan, as all of that should have been done by the shop before releasing the car to you.
The following users liked this post:
dani3ln3al (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 AM
dani3ln3al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
fixed and you answered your own question, if the condenser was a "little twisted" and doesn't make sound when off but when on.... you already know what the issue is

orignal post

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...50z-nismo.html
Thanks for "fixing" my post. I mean that extra information you added wasn't necessary cause it definitely didn't help figure out what the problem is, but thanks.

I still don't know what the issue is. A damaged condenser doesn't make an obnoxious sound. "Rattling" isn't really the best way to describe the sound, but I can't really think of another way to explain it. I could be wrong but I honestly don't believe the condenser is the problem. The condenser works just fine, my A/C blows hot and cold air when it's supposed to. So no I have not answered my own question, you didn't answer my question, I still need help, I still don't know the answer to why my engine may be idling lower than normal, and I don't know why I smell coolant whenever the A/C is on.

Yes, this post and the original one both were caused by the same incident, but they are two different problems and require different repair processes. In order to keep it more organized (for my sake) I felt it would be best to create a new thread entirely since they are two completely different issues.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Pretty sure a condensor isn't going to make a "rattling" sound. I'd give a closer listen with your head under the hood to see if you can localize the sound. Might be a damaged idler pulley, or the compressor, which sits low on the engine, may have taken a hit. Look/listen at the electric fans, too, as one of those may be the source of the noise, and one or both come on when you switch on the a/c.

As for the coolant smell, it might be that the old coolant wasn't properly rinsed off the engine and you might be smelling that residue. Again, open the hood and when the engine is up to normal temp, squeeze the top radiator hose. If the system is pressurized the hose will be very firm. Grab a flashlight and poke around and look for leaks and wet spots, but do that with the engine off so you don't loose any fingers in the pulleys and accessory belt. A small leak will allow the cooling system to pressurize, but the leak might be more obvious under pressure, and a big leak won't allow pressure to build up. It's just a rough check, but worth doing. Look at the level in the overflow tank, too.

You should probably take the car back to Nissan, as all of that should have been done by the shop before releasing the car to you.
yup, but that makes entirely too much sense
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

when u turn on AC the radiator fans engage. The fan blades could be hitting something and my guess is that its hitting the wires give the fan power. IIRC there is a power connector that runs down the passenger side of the fan assembly. I would turn on the AC and shine a light down the passenger side of the radiator fan assembly to see if that wire is zip-tied back onto its correct place. see if anything is hitting the fans.