Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Do you need new pins/holders for new sets of brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:01 AM
BlanQshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need new pins/holders for new sets of brake pads?

Hi,

Tried to do my homework on replacing my brake pads and I got everything I needed.

Last thing is, do I need to buy a whole new set of brake pins, holders, anti-rattle everytime I change my brake pads?

Granted it's my first hands on brake pad change in person I just wanted to make sure I have everything on hand before getting started.

I tried researching on the forums here and on google. The closest thing I got to was if there were problems showing of the pins/holders then I would need to replace it. However my amateur mechanic instincts are telling me I should replace these parts as well if I'm replacing brake pads especially Bremo pads since I have not had a brake job in such a long time.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Blanqshot.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 AM
BlanQshot

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.. but just in case the part numbers for the front and rear clips and holders are:

41218-12U26 and 44218-12U26 respectively.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Assuming you're talking about standard Z calipers (not Brembos), you don't need to change all the hardware each time. BUT you do need to clean and inspect them thoroughly. If any of these parts are damaged, or are worn badly enough to prevent the pad from sliding easily, the clips should be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
BlanQshot (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by dkmura
Assuming you're talking about standard Z calipers (not Brembos), you don't need to change all the hardware each time. BUT you do need to clean and inspect them thoroughly. If any of these parts are damaged, or are worn badly enough to prevent the pad from sliding easily, the clips should be replaced.
No I have Stock Brembo Calipers both front and both. I'm sure it's all the same idea?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by BlanQshot
No I have Stock Brembo Calipers both front and both. I'm sure it's all the same idea?
The Brembo monoblock calipers require even less maintenance IMO. I swap pads quite a bit in my Z racecar and besides cleaning them with brake clean when they're cool, the only other task is to make sure the rods/pins are clean of baked-on brake dust (use brake clean and elbow grease) are not bent or damaged in any way. The tension clips are extremely durable and haven't needed to be replaced in eight hot, grueling race seasons.

The Brembo caliper piston seals and dust boots are a whole other topic, but should also be part of your checks.

Last edited by dkmura; 11-23-2015 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlanQshot (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by dkmura
The Brembo monoblock calipers require even less maintenance IMO. I swap pads quite a bit in my Z racecar and besides cleaning them with brake clean when they're cool, the only other task is to make sure the rods/pins are clean of baked-on brake dust (use brake clean and elbow grease) and not bent or damaged in any way. The tension clips are extremely durable and haven't needed to be replaced in eight hot, grueling race seasons.

The Brembo caliper piston seals and dust boots are a whole other topic, but should also be part of your checks.
Thank you.