Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Broken 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 PM
JonGon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken 350z

I was pulling down my driveway when she broke down, luckily... But the car always had a clicking noise when the clutch wasnt pressed, mainly audible when idling. I purchased it about a week ago, and the dealer said it was just the throwout bearing.

Anyway after a day in town at my gfs house, on the way home the clicking sound was up tempo, louder and rough, like grinding. The acceleration was weaker btw. Everytime i slowed down, the car engine would shut down. That happened a total of 3 times, each consecutive the car struggled more to turn over and the loud "rough clicking grinding" noise would intensify.

Eventually when i got to my driveway, of course you have to decelerate, the car turned off. I started it up "barely", and the sound was way worse. I just about shifted into second, and stuff happened... it turned off, I heard metal drop from underneath, and the car started smoking...
After parking, i went to go pick up what dropped, and it looks like a metal chunk, and broken clamp, which there was a spill trail of some sort of fluid.
The car wont start at all. Soooo guys, what could it be?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:48 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Smart of you to keep driving it as the noise got progressively worse. Next time buy a used car with oil in the crankcase.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Damn i guess this is what justin meant when he said your not a car guy if... you keep driving when you know something is going catastophically WRONG!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Wow- what a difficult way to get started on this board. I certainly hope you got some type of used car warranty from this dealer, and if so, suggest you have it towed there. But as you can guess from the responses you've received on this thread, continuing to drive the car when this VQ was clearly breaking down was an extremely bad move.

My guess (and it's just that) is anything from terminal engine failure to a serious clutch problem. It sounds as though you don't have much, if any, experience with cars in general, so pics of what the damaged pieces look like would help. But ultimately, this Z needs to be towed to a repair facility to be accurately diagnosed and repaired.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:40 AM
JonGon

Where im located, there is no stopping and figuring out whats wrong. Im in the part of Florida where your neighbor is a mile away, and they all have guns. Im in the sticks, plus it was night. So if anything, your best bet is to get home.

Besides such, i bought this z expecting to put money into it. The z is my second car, my first being an sc400, so yeah maybe im a little new but that doesn't help me figure the problem out guys..
Ill upload two pics.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Its 2016, if you dont have a cellphone that you could use to call tripple A, you need to reevaluate your priorities...
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 AM
JonGon

The two pieces i recovered.
Attached Thumbnails Broken 350z-1452782667465-778548884.jpg   Broken 350z-1452782721155170921426.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:52 AM
JonGon

I have a cellphone, but still. I dont have triple a or such. Idk how a lot of **** works, i just walked into the world of adult problems. Also i wouldn't want to leave the car on the side of the road, ppl are crazy around here, they bag on jap cars because they're not huge trucks.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:56 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by JonGon
I have a cellphone, but still. I dont have triple a or such. Idk how a lot of **** works, i just walked into the world of adult problems. Also i wouldn't want to leave the car on the side of the road, ppl are crazy around here, they bag on jap cars because they're not huge trucks.

Paying 100 for a tow is alot better than the thousands youre about to pay...
Old 01-14-2016, 06:03 AM
JonGon

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Paying 100 for a tow is alot better than the thousands youre about to pay...
Youre right, but still wether i towed it now or then, that problem was still existent, meaning it would still have they same payout.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

you need a new engine dude, good job noob
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 AM
turboed350z

Youre right, but still wether i towed it now or then, that problem was still existent, meaning it would still have they same payout.
*facepalm*

A 3in gash is going to require less stitches than a foot long one....
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by travlee
you need a new engine dude, good job noob
Lsx time!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 AM
JonGon

Anyway, thanks for the saltiness guys, cause i am new to Zs lol. Also thanks for the help

I said i was going to put money into it. So here we are, time for a new engine. The question is what engine should i get?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Where im located, there is no stopping and figuring out whats wrong. Im in the part of Florida where your neighbor is a mile away, and they all have guns. Im in the sticks, plus it was night. So if anything, your best bet is to get home.

Besides such, i bought this z expecting to put money into it. The z is my second car, my first being an sc400, so yeah maybe im a little new but that doesn't help me figure the problem out guys..
Ill upload two pics.
The two pics show a rod cap and most likely, a piece of the engine block. You comprehensively BLEW that VQ up, and should use this as one lesson from the school of hard knocks. You didn't mention whether or not any warranty was included with your one week old sale from the dealer, but this will be expensive.

Depending on what year Z you own, you'll need to totally replace the VQ35DE/rev up/HR, as the shortblock in your Z is no longer rebuildable. You'll need to carefully select a skilled wrench to do this, as it's not a job for someone that's "a little new" to cars. And while you might live in a part of rural Florida, or any isolated part of the country, the next time you hear an engine knocking like THAT, just park it and call for a tow, before you burn it to the ground (like what happened this time).
The following users liked this post:
JonGon (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Anyway, thanks for the saltiness guys, cause i am new to Zs lol. Also thanks for the help

I said i was going to put money into it. So here we are, time for a new engine. The question is what engine should i get?
Gotta be kidding- just get the same type of VQ engine that came with it and learn how to take better care of it. Check out a freshly rebuilt VQ from a reputable vendor like Z1 and have it installed. Save some of your budget for refreshing your Z (clutch, brakes, shocks, bushings, etc) critical components that could be installed at the same time the new engine goes in.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM
JonGon

I was looking into the history of this car, and accordingly the problem has surfaced before. The repair form stated something to the effect of a cam shaft adjustment like 10%.
In retrospect, i bought a broke car, and i helped finish it off. Ultimately im going to engine swap.
But point taken. I dont think ill have a car break this bad again. Btw the car was bought as is, I planned on a problem to begin with lol.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 AM
JonGon

Yeah, shes blowen up.

But if i stick with a vq motor, i want something that can handle at least a 16 psi turbo. If i were to get a new vq, what exactly would i do to make it handle 380+ hp?
Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I was looking into the history of this car, and accordingly the problem has surfaced before. The repair form stated something to the effect of a cam shaft adjustment like 10%.
In retrospect, i bought a broke car, and i helped finish it off. Ultimately im going to engine swap.
But point taken. I dont think ill have a car break this bad again. Btw the car was bought as is, I planned on a problem to begin with lol.
Sorry to hear that the Z had no warranty at all. Use this as the first step in learning about cars- if this was a pre-existing problem, DON'T excuse it by saying "I helped finish it off". This could have helped you negotiate a better deal in the first place AND there was no reason to trash the motor afterwards. This was a completely preventable problem, and it's somewhat poetic that your Z made it back home before suffering such terminal problems. It's like riding a once-strong horse to death.
The following users liked this post:
JonGon (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

ls2 swap, mild cam, and you will be at 380whp easily no FI needed

Quick Reply: Broken 350z