Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350z wobble !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
If the wheel is not loose, my guess would be snow causing the shaking or you lost a balancing weight.

My car was shaking this morning from the snow.
+1

Loose lug or snow.

I've had ice frozen inside a wheel which caused an imbalance.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

where did you get this "a while" from? Neither I or the OP used that wording

I just have to laugh when someone from arizona is going to give pointers on cold weather situations. My 3 year old hankook ventus v12's are flat spotted every year when I pull the z out of storage for the 1st time. Once the tires get up to operating temp it goes away, but it is there.

We just dug out of a 28 inch blizzard, any pointers from your sun baked brain on how we did it wrong and how it should have been done?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Not trying to argue, im just saying, flat spots dont happen as much with this day and age as they did in th olden days.

Define "new" tires as we all know. Tire ages, and as it ages, the rubber becomes hard and the sidewall no longer flexes. That could contribute to flat spot if the car sat for a numerous amount of time.

Tires have expiration date. Usually 6 years after manufactur date. So once the "new" tire passes that date, bo matter how much tread is left, its pretty much needs to be replace.

Im not saying flat spot dont happen, im saying it doesnt happen as much or as severe. And it likely wont happen if the car was park for "a while". Months yes, but not likely "a while"
True, flat spots are less in numbers as newer vehicles are on the rd more then older ones. When I say new tires I mean 2014/2015 vehicles that are coming in as they've sat for 1.5-2 months which depending on your definition could be a while. And they complain of vibrations. The wheels balance dead on without any additions but the spot is still there. Only thing we can do is rotate or put new tires on for that very moment. We always tell the customer to drive it more and there wont be those issues. Concrete pads, especially with temperature range in NC will eat tires up. But I will agree with you. 9 times out of 10 it's less likely to happen. Just gotta take care of them. Jack stands is always a good option for storing a car for more then a month at a time. Along with care for the tires while they sit. Not letting them get dry or cracked. Regardless, it truly sounds like you either had a wheel weight fall off or just relative to the snow on the ground. Or you inadvertently bent a rim and didn't know it. (I been there and done that and it sucks). Regardless, easist way to find out is just take the wheel off. Inspect it and roll it, watch to see how it rolls and if it lopes. Then just clean out all around the wheels and such. Regular maintenance. How long has the car been sitting? I know you said a while but what is that relative to? A week? two weeks? a month? I hope you can figure it out bud! Let us know!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
where did you get this "a while" from? Neither I or the OP used that wording

I just have to laugh when someone from arizona is going to give pointers on cold weather situations. My 3 year old hankook ventus v12's are flat spotted every year when I pull the z out of storage for the 1st time. Once the tires get up to operating temp it goes away, but it is there.

We just dug out of a 28 inch blizzard, any pointers from your sun baked brain on how we did it wrong and how it should have been done?

What makes you think the car was stored at all??? Flatspot developing when the car is a daily, i have to laugh...
Old 01-25-2016, 11:06 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KJFire4Life
True, flat spots are less in numbers as newer vehicles are on the rd more then older ones. When I say new tires I mean 2014/2015 vehicles that are coming in as they've sat for 1.5-2 months which depending on your definition could be a while. And they complain of vibrations. The wheels balance dead on without any additions but the spot is still there. Only thing we can do is rotate or put new tires on for that very moment. We always tell the customer to drive it more and there wont be those issues. Concrete pads, especially with temperature range in NC will eat tires up. But I will agree with you. 9 times out of 10 it's less likely to happen. Just gotta take care of them. Jack stands is always a good option for storing a car for more then a month at a time. Along with care for the tires while they sit. Not letting them get dry or cracked. Regardless, it truly sounds like you either had a wheel weight fall off or just relative to the snow on the ground. Or you inadvertently bent a rim and didn't know it. (I been there and done that and it sucks). Regardless, easist way to find out is just take the wheel off. Inspect it and roll it, watch to see how it rolls and if it lopes. Then just clean out all around the wheels and such. Regular maintenance. How long has the car been sitting? I know you said a while but what is that relative to? A week? two weeks? a month? I hope you can figure it out bud! Let us know!

Yea like i said in my other post, if it sits for months, flat spot can occur. But with the way the weather had been lately, i doubt it was store, considering that this is likely his daily. College student i believe.

Correct me if im wrong, but it had only recently snow in the east right? So its likely that he didnt store his car, and that flat spot can be ruled out. Not saying it is definitely not flat spot, just saying its more likely he daily it. So theres a few options left. Loose lug nuts, missing wheel weight, bent wheel, improper psi, ball joints.

Without more info and being there, theres not much left for us to guess.
The following users liked this post:
Syner (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 AM
mvp2765

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store 2 cars for 6 months out of the year in Chicago and I never have issues with flat spots. Both are on concrete outside. I'm guessing this isnt a tire issue unless the OP is running summer tires in the winter. I've taken the Z out in freezing temps on summer tires and it slide all over the place. That was scary.

Last edited by mvp2765; 01-25-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Syner

Edmonton.

I've never had flat spots on a stored vehicle.

Like I said before, I'm guessing loose lugs or icepack in the wheel.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just so we are clear guys. Not only did OP state he had just pulled it out of the garage but he also lives 20 min from me and we got less than an inch of snow. Its not snow build up in the wheel nor is it flat spotting. His car has not been sitting that long based on his recent posts he drives it fairly often as its been a mild winter here.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:03 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by myork
My 3 year old hankook ventus v12's
There is your first problem. Ditch those hancraps I had a set of those once, total garbage tire esp in the rain.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:43 PM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rearranged
If it happens again, check for snow in your wheels. Yesterday the wife was complaining of wheels shaking/wobble feeling. I had her pull over and cleaned the snow that was all packed on one side of the wheel. No more shaking. Just a thought since you said you live in a snowy environment.
Snow and/or ice in the wheel is a frequent cause of "wobble" here in the winter, so I concur with the above poster to check for this.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by blufc3s
Snow and/or ice in the wheel is a frequent cause of "wobble" here in the winter, so I concur with the above poster to check for this.
His car is garaged and we haven't had any measurable snow.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Why all the hate?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:22 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by rearranged
Why all the hate?
Op has been making some mistakes as of late that some of us have been warning him against. (see the link I posted a few posts back) He just recently installed spacers but gave no indication as to type. He may well have put 15mm spacers on without lengthening his studs. Or he may have used a style I am not familiar with that has its own studs. There are many different problems that may have been self inflicted. He has yet to respond to most questions asked in order to provide help.

Still I wouldn't really call it hate.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:07 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by chatcher
Just so we are clear guys. Not only did OP state he had just pulled it out of the garage but he also lives 20 min from me and we got less than an inch of snow. Its not snow build up in the wheel nor is it flat spotting. His car has not been sitting that long based on his recent posts he drives it fairly often as its been a mild winter here.
A short drive in deep snow can be enough. That being said, when OP said "snowy" I just assumed Canadian snowy (ie: at least 2 feet)
Old 01-26-2016, 05:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts