Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Passenger side headlight moisure

Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 PM
yeahh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger side headlight moisure

So about a week ago or so i started noticing headlight moisture on the inside of the lens. 2 days later my headlight went out, but the the next day it was on and then off again the next, except this time for good so far. So i took it to a shop and they said something to me about having to replace to everything i needed for one passenger side headlight and said it would be around $1100. I know i can get a whole new assembly offline for about 400 and just do it myself. Just wondering if theres any other solutions to this or if i should just bite the bullet with this one.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

get the housing for 400, get the ballast for 50 and bulb for 100, out the door 550 total.

if you know what youre doing, you can find the leak and seal it.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:38 PM
yeahh

Yeah i never really dealt with lights before besides changing bulbs on a pos f150 i use to have but thats a lot different than this. You think i i find the leak and seal it, the main bulb will work again? thats the only one out
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahh
Yeah i never really dealt with lights before besides changing bulbs on a pos f150 i use to have but thats a lot different than this. You think i i find the leak and seal it, the main bulb will work again? thats the only one out
Maybe maybe not. Seal the leak is a good start, and if the ballast isnt damage, bulbs are about 100 for the good ones, 50s for decent and 25 for chinese crap.

I would start by trying to seal the leak before i drop 500 on new housings. If you cant seal it, just get the new housing and transfer it all over.

Also, you might want to try your luck at a junk yard. They might have what youre looking for
Old 01-30-2016, 03:20 PM
yeahh

yeah true, thanks for the advice
Old 02-01-2016, 05:03 AM
B.Sterling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine leak a couple times, first finds the leak and reseal it, usually one of the bulb sockets is not sitting correctly or the large rubber O ring on the grey hid cover is pinched and sticking out of the gap and allowing water in. then take the headlight out and remove all the bulbs and the wiring harness and using compressed air blow as much of the water out as possible and let the housing sit out overnight, I usually let it sit a few feet away from a fireplace. then comes the ballast, because it sits at the bottom of the headlight housing it fills up with water pretty quickly, remove the connector and using compressed air blow all of the water out until you can shake it upside down and no water comes out, let the ballast sit with the housing in front of the fireplace overnight. the next day reassemble everything and test it, and cross your fingers that the ballast works. I have gotten lucky three times doing this method. but again find the leak or else you'll be doing this every week. lol
Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM
yeahh

Yeah, still havent had time to do anything on it considering i work during the day and by the time im off its starts to get dark and im not trying to get a ticket, going to try that out. ill be sure to let you know how it goes, thanks man.