Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Hit by a flash flood, now trans slips 03 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 AM
jusdaveman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit by a flash flood, now trans slips 03 6MT

Hi guys not sure if I should've posted this here or in the drivetrain section so sorry if I picked the wrong spot. Anyways Recently I was driving cross country and got hit pretty hard by a flash flood. fortunately I was able to get the car to a safe spot before it bogged out and died. I thought that I was screwed initially because water got sucked up and car wouldn't start. A couple hours later it started and ran just fine. After reaching my destination I drove the car less than 300 miles with no issues. Now my clutch is slipping up to about 3500 rpms and after that it hooks up fine. It does it consistently hot or cold. It transitions between gears just fine. So I guess my question is could water have gotten into the transmission and started to cause problems or is it just coincidence and my clutch itself is fried? I have a couple quarts of redline trans fluid and I was going to try and change the fluid but I'm pretty sure it wont fix the issue. My pedal feel is like normal. I checked my clutch fluid and it was a bit dirty so I flushed that out and no difference. Not sure if maybe the master or slave cylinder can be the issue either. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you got dirty water into your clutch, that muck needs to be cleaned out. I'd be more worried about the water that got into the engine that caused it to bog down and die. Your car should be in a shop getting a proper diagnosis. If this damage was caused by a flood, your comprehensive auto insurance (assuming you have any) will cover most of the repairs.

Driving a car 300 miles that just bogged out and died because of water is obviously not a good idea. Call your insurance company and get your car towed to a reputable repair shop. There are too many things that can go wrong with a water-damaged vehicle. A slipping clutch may be the least of your worries.

Last edited by zakmartin; 02-03-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:20 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Has it cleared up yet? My guess is you flooded the bellhousing, it can clear up eventually and drive just fine unless you burned it out in the process or just killed the car altogether.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

My guess is a heavy load on the clutch when in the water, clutch was close to slipping before , it's not trash and needs a clutch .

You could have also had oil in the water as it was rushing into your bell housing and contaminated your disk

Either way, simple and your car is good