Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Driver's side Door Won't Open from Inside

Old 03-20-2016, 09:34 AM
NeVrO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side Door Won't Open from Inside

hey everyone,

I've got an issue with my 2003 350z. This past week, when i parked the car I attempted to open the door and heard a faint 'pop' sound. Then the door wouldn't open. The inside door handle felt like there was the normal amount of tension, but the latch didn't release/unlock. Since then, i've had to roll down my window and open the door using the outside handle.

Today, I pulled the door panel off (which i've previously done twice to replace the window motor. smh...), and figured that i'd see a broken clip. However, everything looked normal. When the handle is pulled, there is tension on the cable up to where it enters the interior of the door where the the latch assembly is mounted.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. It seems that pulling the latch assembly out of the door might be a challenge. I'm not even sure where the break has taken place... Can someone provide some guidance on what might be broken? Would pulling the latch assembly out be the next move, and is it something to try to get into, or would i be better off taking it to a pro. I'm a novice, but fairly handy at minor repairs..

Any guidance/info is appreciated.

thanks,
Nev
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

So everything is aligned properly as far as you can tell? Is there anything broken along the window guide? There are some metal guides or frames within the door that have to be in the perfect position for things to work properly.

I believe I had posted a bunch of photos in the window motor thread. It's a DIY thread in that same section.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
NeVrO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i can see, everything appears to be in place. if i put my fingers around the handle release cable, right where it goes into the door (as close as i could get to the latch) i can feel that the cable is moving back and forth when i pull/release the handle. I don't think the cable is broken and nothing appears to be broken on the handle assembly. I think something 'popped' in the latch assembly, but I'm not sure what...

do you have a link to the latch assembly removal? I've been scouring this site for related info, but all i can find are threads about the exterior handle breaking, and window motor replacement (which thankfully i have had to do in awhile.. ** I've done both window motors twice :\

thanks,
Nev