Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How long to let paint sit before installing bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM
dani3ln3al

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long to let paint sit before installing bumper?

My front bumper cover cracked so I bought a replacement and when it came in I gave it to my buddy that works at a Mercedes bodyshop. He was able to get me a good deal (for the whole repair I saved about $500) and I must say the paint job looks phenomenal. I saved some money by not having him install it cause I'm sure it isn't too hard to install the bumper myself.

I've held off on installing the bumper cause I know fresh paint is guilty of being prone to chips and scratches. I know paint takes a while to cure (my buddy said 5 days to harden, 30 days for it to completely cure). I could wait the whole 30 days but I know it's not necessary. How long should I wait to prevent any minor damages? I'm in no rush but I would like to get it on sooner rather than later.

Also, how long should I wait to put on an adhesive emblem? I don't want the paint coming off with it if I ever decide to take it off.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 AM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dani3ln3al
My front bumper cover cracked so I bought a replacement and when it came in I gave it to my buddy that works at a Mercedes bodyshop. He was able to get me a good deal (for the whole repair I saved about $500) and I must say the paint job looks phenomenal. I saved some money by not having him install it cause I'm sure it isn't too hard to install the bumper myself.

I've held off on installing the bumper cause I know fresh paint is guilty of being prone to chips and scratches. I know paint takes a while to cure (my buddy said 5 days to harden, 30 days for it to completely cure). I could wait the whole 30 days but I know it's not necessary. How long should I wait to prevent any minor damages? I'm in no rush but I would like to get it on sooner rather than later.

Also, how long should I wait to put on an adhesive emblem? I don't want the paint coming off with it if I ever decide to take it off.
Body shops install same day or next day after baking. You can install just be careful.

Emblem id wait a week at least. As long as the bumper was cured in an oven at temp it should be cured. After 5 days with todays technology it should be hardened.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Here's an obvious trick to remember when you're installing the bumper cover: lay a blanket or a bunch of towels on the floor under the bumper in case you drop or tilt it. Having assistants makes it go a lot faster. It's an easy job.

Also, wait a few months before you wax it to give the paint ample time to cure.

Last edited by zakmartin; 04-05-2016 at 03:53 PM.