Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My intro and a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 06:00 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts
Default My intro and a question

First of all, this site is huge. I hope I'm posting in the right area, if not I'm sure I'll hear about it, bear with me till I get more familiar.

So, I have a old history of autox, back in the day we called it Solo1/Solo2. Raced a MGB, Audi and later a Formula 4 Walker. Thought I had it out of my system but the kids are gone and apparently I still have the problem!
Anyway, I started looking for a car to autox (grey beard and all) I had a 06 G35mt and loved it, but a Z always turned my head, so that's the direction I went. I know with classifications it's not the best choice, but who cares, this time I'm racing casually for fun.

Then I found, fell in love with and bought a 06 350Z Grand Touring (showroom condition, not a mark and never seen rain etc. 21,000 miles) for a great - great price, last week. It's a A/T so again, not the best choice for autox, but I couldn't walk away from it. I might autox it once or twice to better learn the car, but honesty, it's just too damn nice to drive the s##t out of. So, that's where I'm at. (rather long intro)

My question is equally long...you guys seem to have the knowledge base of a thousand mechanics/tuners and I value your opinion.
The previous owner did some dealer installed modifications, which I will list (all Nismo). What I would like some opinions on is, do I leave it as is or should I get a tune to exploit the modifications done? (I have searched individual items on this site, but am having some difficulty putting the whole package together).

Here's the list...
-Nismo full suspension
-Nismo sway bars
-Nismo cold air intake
-Nismo headers
-Nismo cat back exhaust
-Nismo 19" alloys with 275/35 zr19 rear and 245/35zr19 front and the big, bold, gold - spotless Brembo's (with Wheel spacers)
-Nismo lower temperature thermostat.

**two things I'm going to do to finish it - grounding kit, motodyne 5/16 spacer.

Again, your opinion on the air/fuel tuning is what I'm questioning?? and I wanted to do some bragging haha - I'll put some pics up when I get a nicer day (Nismo rims are amazing and not a mark)

Thanks for hearing me out.
Mike
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Hell sounds like the previous owner did it all, put a spacer on, maybe a diff and tune it and that is about all you can do. My buddy autox an auto and for a while he was one of the quickest.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 AM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Post pics!!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by travlee
Hell sounds like the previous owner did it all, put a spacer on, maybe a diff and tune it and that is about all you can do. My buddy autox an auto and for a while he was one of the quickest.

Ya funny he did it, old guy that never drove it (21,000 miles)
I don't plan or autoxing more then once or twice.

What diff mod are you referring to?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 AM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by 35th4me
Post pics!!
Soon, it's rained everyday since I bought it
Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Swap with a quaife, the stock vlsd sucks

Last edited by travlee; 05-15-2016 at 06:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
carbuffguy (05-15-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Tochigi_236

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Would you mind posting a vid of it running and a few revs? haha
I've been considering the Nismo R-Tune headers, but I can't find a decent reference for how they sound with the exhaust.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 PM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by Tochigi_236
I've been considering the Nismo R-Tune headers, but I can't find a decent reference for how they sound with the exhaust.
I can, but i'll tell you first - they're pretty smooth, not much difference over stock exhaust until you get up over 4k rpms and even then they're fairly tame. As far as hp gains ??
Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by Tochigi_236
Sorry man just seen this again and i forgot, dont really have a camera that would do a good job of it.

One thing i would suggest is see if you can fab a heat shield up and wrap before install