Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

P1084 Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Battmannes16

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P1084 Fixed

Hello everyone, I decided to make an account because I finally solved this problem for myself and couldn't find any straight answers on here before.

Problem: P1084 Exhaust valve Timing Control Position sensor (bank 2)

This seems to me to be a REVUP specific problem considering the standard DE's don't have variable valve timing for the exhaust and the REVUP's were the first to get it.

MOVING ON:

my specific symptoms were:
idle was bumped up to 900-1100
SES light error code P1084 (I assume this solution would also work with P1078)

I'm somewhat relieved of the timing however as this started the day after my inspection.

here's the problem.
DE REVUP's have four cam sensors (two in each cylinder head at the back of the engine; exhaust and intake)

Part numbers:
23731-6J90B and is used for driver side exhaust and passenger side intake (straight sensor)

23731-AL61A and is used for driver side intake and passenger side exhaust (angled sensor)

I removed my driver side exhaust cam sensor (underneath the throttle body) and tested it with a multi meter than compared it to my passenger side intake sensor.

I also took the time to live view all data related to my camshafts through Cipher. Exhaust camshaft Adv, B2 was stuck at 38.0 degrees CA while exhaust camshaft Adv B1 was anywhere between 121-122 degrees CA on idle. B2 never moved from 38.0 even while driving or reving the engine.

Getting different results between the two sensors I swapped them in each others places (remember same part number) and my car wouldn't start due to the dead sensor now being on the passenger side intake.

Called up to nissan to make sure they had the part in stock and I was on my way. $154.66 later and a new OEM 23731-6J90B sensor was mine. I got back home and swapped it in and now everything is good again! No SES light and no more high idle!

I would recommend disconnecting your battery before removing these sensors. All you need is a 10mm socket and 15 minutes max of your time to remove and replace this sensor. You can follow along with other threads for more specifics on how to remove and replace cam sensors.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM
hurley2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Sensor for 1084

So the correct sensor was the strait sensor, not the angled sensor that resolved the 1084 on bank 2?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Battmannes16

That is correct, part number 23731-6J90B is a straight sensor. It is the sensor that fits in the driver side exhaust and passenger side intake.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:10 PM
hurley2010

Great. Would that happen to be the one with the green connector on it on the drivers side? I accidentally replaced the angled sensor thinking it was the one related to the 1084... Which was a black connector.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Battmannes16

Let me get back to you on that tomorrow for sure on the color of the connector, but if you're looking from on top of the engine towards the car, it's the sensor furthest on the right, it'll also be lower than the one you replaced due to the way the cylinder head (V)

Just find the one you replaced, and go a little further down and on the outside of the head.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 PM
ksmith4276

Ok, could use some help here. 2006 350z 6MT

I had the P1078 Exhaust valve Timing Control Position sensor (bank 1) CEL come on.

After reading up, I replaced the angled 23731-AL61A passenger side exhaust using:
Duralast Camshaft Position Sensor - SU6480 (Autozone)

Reset the check engine light. Now I have intermittent misfires on all cylinders and no power. It seems to rev up higher in lower gears faster than normal, but I have no power at all. Misfires when I let off the gas a lot and a couple of times during rapid acceleration. No solid check engine light after 50 miles of use. Just blinks for the misfires.

Any ideas??

Last edited by ksmith4276; 12-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i would always replace sensors with oem.... but that is just me
Old 01-13-2018, 07:43 AM
trigztah17

Default 350z P1084- exhaust valve timing control position sensor bank 2

Rev-up issue- In clutch car won't stall or move. that means completely dead clutch plate.

I got my engine light on at the same time my clutch was dead. Drove it for few days and the car stop moving and the clutch was completely gone.

Before i changed my clutch plate even though i knew i need to replace it, first what i did was diagnosed my engine light to get the code. I got P1084 - exhaust valve timing control position sensor bank 2.

350z has **** load of sensors, and i figured this engine light has to do with my clutch plate because i got the engine light on at the same time when my clutch plate gone.

Replaced my clutch plate and the engine light disappeared . Unplug the battery leave it for 5 minutes and see if the light comes back on. As far as i know it did not come back at all. If it comes back and if you get the same code as P1084- exhaust valve timing control position sensor bank 2. That means you need to replace your catalytic converter oem.

Simple fix and don't stress your self by thinking too much with this rev-up issue. Common sense. If your rpm revs higher till you hit the red light and its on your first gear and no movement that means your clutch plate is gone.

Clutch issue
-hesitate to start
-hesitation on acceleration
-Lost of horse-power
-Burning smell
-Sometime when you rev higher for few minutes and the car is not moving and your steering wheel get tighten
-bad in feul
-you can drive for few days till the clutch dies completely, thats when you know your car won't move at all because the clutch is dead.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:38 AM
J33NO

Originally Posted by Battmannes16
Hello everyone, I decided to make an account because I finally solved this problem for myself and couldn't find any straight answers on here before.

This seems to me to be a REVUP specific problem considering the standard DE's don't have variable valve timing for the exhaust and the REVUP's were the first to get it.

MOVING ON:

I'm somewhat relieved of the timing however as this started the day after my inspection.

here's the problem.
DE REVUP's have four cam sensors (two in each cylinder head at the back of the engine; exhaust and intake)

Part numbers:
23731-6J90B and is used for driver side exhaust and passenger side intake (straight sensor)

23731-AL61A and is used for driver side intake and passenger side exhaust (angled sensor)

I removed my driver side exhaust cam sensor (underneath the throttle body) and tested it with a multi meter than compared it to my passenger side intake sensor.

I also took the time to live view all data related to my camshafts through Cipher. Exhaust camshaft Adv, B2 was stuck at 38.0 degrees CA while exhaust camshaft Adv B1 was anywhere between 121-122 degrees CA on idle. B2 never moved from 38.0 even while driving or reving the engine.

Getting different results between the two sensors I swapped them in each others places (remember same part number) and my car wouldn't start due to the dead sensor now being on the passenger side intake.

Called up to nissan to make sure they had the part in stock and I was on my way. $154.66 later and a new OEM 23731-6J90B sensor was mine. I got back home and swapped it in and now everything is good again! No SES light and no more high idle!

I would recommend disconnecting your battery before removing these sensors. All you need is a 10mm socket and 15 minutes max of your time to remove and replace this sensor. You can follow along with other threads for more specifics on how to remove and replace cam sensors.
Hello, I just purchased this 350z 3 days ago and today the Service Engine Soon Light came on. I plugged in my cheap little OBII sensor and got the P1084 code. My question is, does that code alone point to exactly which of the four sensors is going bad or does it just mean one of the four is bad? If I am understanding this correctly, the P1084 narrows it down to at least the two exhaust sensors, but not which of the two is bad? Thank you in advance!
Old 08-07-2019, 03:34 AM
DT352

Default P1084 Code

Sorry to bring up an old thread but is your Z LHD or RHD? I have the same code (P1084) and my drivers side is the right side. Not the left like in the US, just to help me along the right direction
Cheers in advance
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Battmannes16

My car is LHD.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Bill Zeek

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cam sensors Nissan OEM is Hitachi and how to test sensors

I just posted this info in the "maint and repair" forum
Old 09-13-2020, 02:49 AM
Julian Pacheco

Default 2 of each?

Originally Posted by Battmannes16

MOVING ON:

here's the problem.

Part numbers:

Hi man I own a rev up edition so quick question I order 2 of each sensor or does it specifically has to be one driver side and one passenger side and same thing with the other 2??? New to the Z nation.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:47 AM
Battmannes16

Originally Posted by Julian Pacheco
Hi man I own a rev up edition so quick question I order 2 of each sensor or does it specifically has to be one driver side and one passenger side and same thing with the other 2??? New to the Z nation.

There is not a specific “driver side” or “passenger side” sensor. The part numbers are interchangeable for both driver side and passenger side of the engine.

PN: 23731-6J90B is driver side exhaust and passenger side intake. This is the straight sensor.

PN: 23731-AL61A is driver side intake and passenger side exhaust. This is the angled sensor.

driver side exhaust and passenger side intake are interchangeable because they are the same sensor and same part number. (Straight sensor)

driver side intake and passenger side exhaust are interchangeable because they are the same sensor and same part number. (Angled sensor)

if you were replacing all of the sensors in the car at once you would order:
QTY 2 of 23731-6J90B - straight sensor
QTY 2 of 23731-AL61A - angled sensor