Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Emissions fail 'Monitors disabled'

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Anthony Mithra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Emissions fail 'Monitors disabled'

Hello, I have a 04 z33 with 125,000 mi on it. I bought it in GA while I was living in FL, I recently moved to AZ and had to do an emissions inspection. I went to one station and he said their computer wasn't reading my cars RPMs so I had to go to another station from which the guy told me I had no cats and my computer has been tampered with and then looked at me like I was trying to pull something. I never had a CEL for the exhaust so never even thought to look at it, other than for rust.

This part I get (put some cats on it and buy some O2 sensors, looking at the Kinetix Racing High Flow Cats) the other issue came up I am unsure of, that is " Monitors disabled, Failing Evin check". So is my take from this is that the previous owner flashed the ECU? I did a scan with no codes and just went through the I/M and it says:

CAT N/A
HCM N/A
2AIR N/A
A/C N/A
MIL OFF
EGR N/A

I am assuming I just need to go to a dealership and get my ECU re-flashed? I just want to make sure I get all of these ducks in a row and can drive my car after this three month permit expires, never had to worry about inspections before. Anything else I should look for?

Thanks.

Last edited by Anthony Mithra; 07-09-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

sounds like u already have a flashed ecu that has all of the cel stuff turned off, id find out what it is and have that restored .. your ecu has to be in a ready state and be clear of any codes.

you also cant run test pipes in Arizona.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Anthony Mithra

I had the cats put on and everything is in place. I took it to a dealership and asked that "the ecu be re-flashed and or the engine monitors be turned on". After keeping my car the entire day they called and said they adjusted my idle but my ecu is 'fine' but they flashed it anyways. I asked if there was a CEL and he said no. I told him my engines monitors were off and if they are back on then it should be throwing a CEL (one O2 sensor is missing) and he kept bringing up drive cycles. After trying to explain to him several times that is not my problem. Long story short I wasted money for them to basically do nothing.

I am by no means a car expert but how else would you have these monitors disabled without throwing any codes without a custom tune? I am literally at a loss here. I could be missing something simple but when I search for what 'N/A' means I read the vehicle does not support the test.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 AM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you tried driving it? It usually won't throw a code when you start it up. You'll have to drive it like 50 miles for the light to come back on.

I also shut off some codes in the ECU and I passed emissions. Everything was in ready state even with 2 codes disabled
Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Anthony Mithra

Thank you for the reply. I have not driven it very far yet but when I run a scan all of those above mentioned monitors are showing 'N/A' still. My understanding is they should be showing 'N/R' if drive cycles haven't been completed.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes you'll have to drive it. Thats to prevent people from clearing codes in the parking lot and then running it through the emission test before the CEL comes back on.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Anthony Mithra

The problem is not my monitors not being in the ready state. This a completely different issue. My problem specifically is that the monitors a disabled completely and the vehicle is not sending data logs at all. I cannot enable them by driving, you are thinking of completing drive cycles. I had the dealership re-flash my ecu and it is still not working. I am dropping it off with them again tomorrow, my wallet is not ready for it but.....
Thanks for trying peeps.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Anthony Mithra

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update in case anyone else has this problem. After a nice long 40min conversation with the Nissan tech (Nice guy). I was informed that you cannot just re-write the software in the ECU if it was modified my a third party (I do not know for sure if this is true). All of the I/M's show up on the nissan equipment and the data logs. For some reason any third party scanner like mine and the emissions equipment are not showing as running, even weirder I had unplugged an O2 sensor and on his equipment he is still showing fluctuating voltage (If it was unhooked it should not fluctuate). He said at this point I would have to buy another ECU because something is clearly not right with mine and they can't fix something like that.