Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Mystery rubbing noise coming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mystery rubbing noise coming from rear

Thanks for viewing, here's all the info:

I was on the highway driving through WV and must've hit a semi's re-tread tire tread because I heard a thump from underneath and saw a piece of tread shoot out in my rear view mirror. Ever since, I've had this rubbing noise from underneath in the rear, almost as though a piece of truck tire tread is stuck up in there rubbing my tire. I put the car up in the air and got underneath and nothing is abnormal at all. The noise increases and decreases along with vehicle speed. I thought it was a splash shield rubbing so I removed the front splash shield and replaced the frayed wheel well liners and it didn't help.

I noticed going around roundabout turning left, the noise went away completely, but as soon as I go straight, it came back.

It's not a rhythmic voom...voom...voom like when my front wheel bearing went bad after hitting a curb. It's a constant noise, kinda like tire noise on the freeway times 10.

P.S. I think this is unrelated BUT....while under the car I noticed where the exhaust connects to the muffler - the connection is severed apparently due to rust or impact from a tire tread. But again, the noise is consistent with vehicle speed, not engine RPM. The 2 ends of exhaust are not close enough to touch.

Last edited by I DTW I; 07-22-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just thought I'd update this thread for folks who find this in the future. The rubbing noise coming from the rear was a very bad rear wheel bearing. Why the noise started when I hit the tire treat I have no idea. My guess is it failed due to wear and tear and made a constant rubbing noise rather than when I hit a curb on the ice with the front wheel and got a rhythmic voom voom (due to impact damage, not wear and tear).

See my video on how bad it got

I'm repulsed I let the noise go for so long, especially considering how dangerous it was (although I thought it was debris rubbing under the car) Either way any noise coming from underneath the car one needs to test for wheel wobble to test the wheel bearings (see video above) A failing wheel bearing is very dangerous. I hope this helps someone in the future.