Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car not starting,

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
FrankenZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting,

I have a 2005 Z, and out of no where one day I'm driving I pull up to work and park my car. Not even a minute after turning my car off my both tells me to move my car to the other side so I go to turn my car on and nothing. It wouldn't crank just gave my one click. From there I assumed it was the battery but my gauge says it's @ 12volts atleast and all the electrics work. My boss ended up getting the car to turn back on without jumping it, he mentioned something about my battery terminals. Fast forward a few days later my cars doing fine when I go to the fast station, fill up, and my car won't crank again. Ended up trying to jump it with no remorse until I called AAA and they jumped it( they use dual batteries) it cranked but it was struggling to.
I just changed the started this morning but the car wouldn't crank again, it was just giving me multiple clicks now. I ended up push starting it drove for a little, turned it off and back on a few times. Fast forward more to now when I'm trying to turn the car on and it's just clicking again. I'm lost and have no clue what it can be
Any and all help is more than appreciated
Old 09-25-2016, 04:46 PM
FitZmp56

Check the alternator. Start the car, make sure all accessories are off (radio, any lights, blah blah). With the car running Disconnect the negative lead on the battery. If the car stays on and keeps running the alternator is good. If it dies, bad alternator.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

No. You can damage the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running. Take the car to Autozone, Advance, etc., and they can check the battery and alternator for free. Or, buy a voltmeter and check it for yourself. A fully-charged battery should read ~12.7-12.8V after resting overnight. With the engine running, the voltage should be 13.8-14.5V across the battery terminals. Of course, make sure your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. This is very basic, stuff, and I'll bet you need a new battery.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (09-25-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 AM
FrankenZ

Originally Posted by dcains
No. You can damage the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running. Take the car to Autozone, Advance, etc., and they can check the battery and alternator for free. Or, buy a voltmeter and check it for yourself. A fully-charged battery should read ~12.7-12.8V after resting overnight. With the engine running, the voltage should be 13.8-14.5V across the battery terminals. Of course, make sure your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. This is very basic, stuff, and I'll bet you need a new battery.
car wouldn't start again in the morning. Voltage read under 12 this morning before eating a jump. But a few hours later it started up fine, I unplugged the negative terminal and my car was fine. -do you think it could just be the battery at this point?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Originally Posted by FrankenZ
car wouldn't start again in the morning. Voltage read under 12 this morning before eating a jump. But a few hours later it started up fine, I unplugged the negative terminal and my car was fine. -do you think it could just be the battery at this point?
he pretty much already said that
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

AAA should have checked the battery and told you of it was good or not... Im assuming itsit's bad, also your connections on the battery are most likely corroded...

To check your alternator use your included volt meter in the car, or look at the dash, no battery light on... Its probably fine... Even better get a multimeter, between 13-15 when running good to go...

Multiple clicks is dead battery, solid click usually the starter, no noise at all... Super dead battery, clutch switch, bad key, alarm system yada yada yada..

Good luck, get an interstate.