Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

No fans and no overheating ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 AM
e.chavez9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No fans and no overheating ?????

Isnīt this weird?

So hereīs the deal, I bought my Z on April 2014 and since then Iīve never seen the fans working, the car has overheated just ONCE since i got it. I have taken the car to at leats 10 track days, Iīve drifted in big parking lots at night, some weeks I daily it in traffic and all and never never overheats.

For me this is extremely weird, yes after a couple of hours of use, the radiator feels hot af and the hoses too, completely normal BUT the coolant is not boiling thru the overflow tank or anything, perfectly normal I even have a radiator cap with a temperature sensor to monitor closer the coolant temp because the OEM engine temperature gauge never moves AT ALL, always in the middle, a little bit lower like it should be and I thought it didint work.

I decided to remove the thermostat to improve the coolant flow, turned out there was no thermostat haha, i guess previous owner did it.

I want to keep my engine bay as clean as possible and if i can drive without any fans i will do it, thats not the debate here.

Is there any different obvious reason/explanation/formula/4th dimention explanation on why my z actually handles to live without any fans and some Zīs of the same year overheat when even 1 fan is out?? i have OEM radiator, normal af cheap walmart coolant, no thermostat and i always keep my coolant super clean.

thanks for the help, will post a pic of my engine bay as soon as i get home. fans are completly gone now. no need to drive around with a useless piece of plastic.

Last edited by e.chavez9; 09-28-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I can tell you this:
You will not have cool a/c while not moving and no fan or fans.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM
e.chavez9

Originally Posted by JCat
I can tell you this:
You will not have cool a/c while not moving and no fan or fans.
every single component from the heater and a/c are long gone now, not even the accesories belt and compresor are there anymore
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Might wanna keep those fans. You'll want to put them back in when you go to sell it.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:18 PM
My Alert

Default Replacing IDPM cooling fans not operating

Has anyone replace their IDPM because of cooling fans not operating. If so did that fix the problem.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by e.chavez9
I decided to remove the thermostat to improve the coolant flow
dumb - put it back in ... your car runs optimally between 180 and 200 degrees ... when you take your thermostat out you are running outside of that window and it affects the performance of your engine.

Originally Posted by e.chavez9
Is there any different obvious reason/explanation/formula/4th dimention explanation on why my z actually handles to live without any fans
Of course there is...your engine isnt some mystical creature that no one understands (well, maybe it is in your head)...it's a air-pump...

the reason your engine doesnt overheat is because the radiator is getting enough passive airflow to cool the coolant and subsequently cool your engine...it's not rocket science...your fans are only effective between 0 and 30 mph ... anything over those speeds your fans are ineffective as the radiator is getting enough passive air flow...
Old 09-30-2016, 06:27 PM
e.chavez9

Originally Posted by bealljk
Of course there is...your engine isnt some mystical creature that no one understands (well, maybe it is in your head)...it's a air-pump...

the reason your engine doesnt overheat is because the radiator is getting enough passive airflow to cool the coolant and subsequently cool your engine...it's not rocket science...your fans are only effective between 0 and 30 mph ... anything over those speeds your fans are ineffective as the radiator is getting enough passive air flow...
I get that part of the speed, I know air cools the engine and if im in constant movement i shouldn't have a problem but no, I've tested my car leaving it parked with the engine running almost 45 minutes and nothing, no over heat. Im trying to find the obvious but the coolant wont give up at all. Looks the engine will keep to stay cool no matter what... weird tho
Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

My my Z hasn't over heated since I burped the cooling system properly.

My fan supports are busted so that's why I have no fans right now. But it should be noted I don't sit in traffic and haven't been to a track day yet. Just short trips to work and the store.

But once it hits mid level temps it stays there. Like you I also have my AC deleted right now cause my AC rad was busted when I bought it

But when I go FI and upgrade to a mishi rad I will be getting mishi fans.