Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Vdc slip lights on air bag cel no speedo or cruise control. Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM
JoeJoe13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vdc slip lights on air bag cel no speedo or cruise control. Help!!!!!

Ok so I am going to give this a try, sorry for the long post but I want to give as much info as possible. I bought a car that has all of the issues listed above in the title. I have owned the car since April and have pulled out the emanage that was in it and went to Uprev. I have had it tuned and driven it since then with no issues other than no speedo and the other listed above. I have had it scanned at Autozone and the codes that came up are P0500, P1212, U1001, P1564. I also had it hooked up to a snap-on code reader and drove it hooked up and no speed was being recorded on any wheel.
I have searched for this problem for a while and talked to a few people with no solution. The code that is trouble is the U1001 from my understanding as its a communication error. I did find one post where a guy said he replaced the air control unit???? under the radio and it fixed the problem. I did notice that mine does function but my defroster light will not light when pushed but I do hear a click for it and the temp does not change when I go from 60 to 90 with the temp dial. The previous owner said the Ac was deleted so I am not sure if that affects the temp changing or not. I was also leaning towards the abs control unit as I have hurd that does sometimes fix the problem. When the car was on the snap-on scanner he could not connect to the abs to read the codes if any there as well. The speed sensors seem to be in good shape along with the one on the transmission. About the car:

It is a 03 track edition 6 speed that has twin turbos on it with all of the other goodies. I can elaborate if necessary. The tire size is front 245/35/19 and the rear is 275/35/19. All help is greatly appreciated. I am not the greatest at electrical problems but am willing to give it a try before paying someone a small fortune to fix it. Thanks Joe
Old 09-30-2016, 12:45 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

JoeJoe,

Sorry to hear about your problems. As a first step in understanding what's wrong, I suggest you download a copy of the Service Manual for your car. See http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html and follow the links for your model year.

Let me take a stab at diagnosing your problems. It looks to me like you have two issues. The P1564 fault, air bag light and cruise control problem point to a bad clock spring behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel may have been removed and improperly reinstalled. In any case, the items in the steering wheel are not connected to the wiring harness in the car.

The other fault codes and warning lights point to a communication problem on the CAN bus that connects all your car's computers together. The speed signal on the bus from the VDC/TCS/ABS control unit to the unified meter and AC amp seems to be missing or corrupted. The CAN bus will not function properly if any of the units on the bus are disconnected. Since your heater/defroster appears to also be inop, I suspect the unified meter and AC amp is the culprit.
The following users liked this post:
JoeJoe13 (10-10-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:38 AM
JoeJoe13

Originally Posted by karlt
JoeJoe,

Sorry to hear about your problems. As a first step in understanding what's wrong, I suggest you download a copy of the Service Manual for your car. See http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html and follow the links for your model year.

Let me take a stab at diagnosing your problems. It looks to me like you have two issues. The P1564 fault, air bag light and cruise control problem point to a bad clock spring behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel may have been removed and improperly reinstalled. In any case, the items in the steering wheel are not connected to the wiring harness in the car.

The other fault codes and warning lights point to a communication problem on the CAN bus that connects all your car's computers together. The speed signal on the bus from the VDC/TCS/ABS control unit to the unified meter and AC amp seems to be missing or corrupted. The CAN bus will not function properly if any of the units on the bus are disconnected. Since your heater/defroster appears to also be inop, I suspect the unified meter and AC amp is the culprit.
Thank you for the service manual link. The previous owner that turbo-ed the car may have said the wheel turned when the motor was removed but I am not sure about the wheel having being removed. I do know that the wheel is slightly turned right when driving straight.
Is the unified meter and AC amp all one unit? Does it sound like mine is misbehaving partially? Why does my speed signal go thru my Ac lol
Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 AM
karlt

The unified meter and AC amp is a single unit. It sits behind the heater controls. As to why Nissan designed the electrical system that way, only Nissan knows.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 AM
JoeJoe13

I was thinking it is that part. I was looking around and cant really find one but when I do they are like 150.00 dollars. Do you think that is my problem?
Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 PM
JoeJoe13

Update: I went out and disconnected the white Ac amp and started the car. The gas gauge and now RPM dont work. Would that indicate the Ac amplifier is working correctly? Or maybe partially working?
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM
karlt

Originally Posted by JoeJoe13
Update: I went out and disconnected the white Ac amp and started the car. The gas gauge and now RPM dont work. Would that indicate the Ac amplifier is working correctly? Or maybe partially working?
Yes. The speedometer, tach, coolant temperature and fuel gauges receive their signals through the unified meter and AC amp.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM
JoeJoe13

Ok thats what I thought. Could it be damaged that only half of the systems are working on it and the other half are not? I got the led to light for the rear defroster only by taking it apart and using my multimeter to light just the led. Could I have a semi bad Ac amp?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:47 PM
karlt

Ok thats what I thought. Could it be damaged that only half of the systems are working on it and the other half are not? I got the led to light for the rear defroster only by taking it apart and using my multimeter to light just the led. Could I have a semi bad Ac amp?
It's possible, but it's difficult to diagnose problems over the internet. First, check the basics like fuses. Look in the atc.pdf section of the Service Manual, determine all the fuses that feed power to the unified meter and AC amp, and check them all. There is also a self-diagnosis function that begins on page ATC-56. There is an additional self-diagnosis procedure for the instrument cluster in the di.pdf section starting on page DI-12. Use the Service Manual to help point to the faulty part.

Finally, ask the previous owner just exactly what he did to "delete" the AC.
Angry Ale (11-19-2021)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 PM
JoeJoe13

Ok so I did the instrument check and everything moved to where it should have. I tried the Ac one and all 3 led's light up which means its good????? I then turned the dial to auto and the one light blinked for only 10 seconds and then the ac light never lit up. I then turned the dial a little more and then it blinked again and then finally ac light stayed on meaning I guess everything is good. I then switched it back to auto and then the ac light when on. I tried the whole process all over again and I couldnt get it to check again when I put it on auto. Any thoughts. I really appreciate the help. I am going to try and find the fuses for it tomorrow when there is light. Will one blown fuse still let it semi work or would it disable the whole system?
Old 10-01-2016, 04:05 AM
karlt

It's starting to look more and more like a bad unified meter and AC amp, but I would still like to know what was done to delete the AC.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 PM
JoeJoe13

Originally Posted by karlt
It's starting to look more and more like a bad unified meter and AC amp, but I would still like to know what was done to delete the AC.
I contacted the previous owner and he said he just removed the pump and the lines. Would that be why my temp does not move and increase or decrease when changed from 60 to 90
Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM
karlt

I don't think so. It looks like it's tome to go to your nearest Nissan dealer for a detailed checkout.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:15 PM
JoeJoe13

I called them before and they were talking about doing the consult 2 scan and I described my problems to him over the phone and he said 60 dollars wither they find anything or not. It didnt seem like he was real concerned with my problems only my wallet. Would the uni/ac amp cause the temp issue as well?
Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 PM
karlt

Yes, it could, since it controls all the heating and ventilation functions.
JoeJoe13 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 PM
JoeJoe13

Ok I suspected so. All of the functions such as the power to control how much air coming out and the ventilation function works perfect as well. It is only the heat and the rear defroster. I might starting looking for a new unit to replace it and start there.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

I called them before and they were talking about doing the consult 2 scan and I described my problems to him over the phone and he said 60 dollars wither they find anything or not. It didnt seem like he was real concerned with my problems only my wallet. Would the uni/ac amp cause the temp issue as well?
well why would they be concerned if they arent getting paid, they are in the business to make money.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:04 AM
JoeJoe13

Originally Posted by travlee
well why would they be concerned if they arent getting paid, they are in the business to make money.
I couldnt agree more......but then thought maybe to get to me actually come there.
I do have a question, is their a self diagnosis tool for the abs unit to see if it is faulty. I was looking in the online service manual to see and I cant seem to locate it if it does exist.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:39 PM
JoeJoe13

Update: I was driving the car today. Went from shifting from second to third accelerated a little and the car died. It will crank now but will not start. I sounds like the pump is not starting. The fans are now on when the key is on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You