Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

For the life of me I can not get a good pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts
Default For the life of me I can not get a good pedal feel

I've pressure bleed multiple times and done the two people method and I'm loosing hope. There is air somewhere as I can feel it. On first pump is goes down maybe 75% more then if I let go and push it again it grabs right away as it should

I run Akebono all around but my car doesn't stop like I know it should! I have two days before my Motul gets here and I want to figure out this brake problem before I waste $100 worth of fluid.

I work in a shop and we do brake jobs all day and have a book for specifics on bleeding and I've followed it with no hope. I've bleed in the normal around. I've bleed it how the book wants (RR, LF, LR then RF) and still no luck

I know yo guys who track flush your fluid regularly so what's the secret? I have another track day this Sunday so I'd love to get this problem fixed. Thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 06:28 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I use a vacuum bleeder at the track and make sure to get a good seal around the bleed nipple before I open it. Do you have a power bleeder at the shop? Are you bleeding both nipples on each caliper?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:01 PM
HRMoneyPit

I have a power bleeder at work that hooks up from the master cap. And yes I open both sides

One thing I notice is that the tears don't really stream like most cars do when you bleed. Reads is more like a volcano if that makes sense

I've never really had the brake feel I know the car should have. So I don't think I get bleed them right. Thinking the air just finally got to a point where I feel it.

Lastly I took out the fuse on track so ABS kicked in. Which should turn off the pump so that wouldn't do anything right?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
One thing I notice is that the tears don't really stream like most cars do when you bleed. Reads is more like a volcano if that makes sense.

I've never really had the brake feel I know the car should have. So I don't think I get bleed them right. Thinking the air just finally got to a point where I feel it.

Lastly I took out the fuse on track so ABS kicked in. Which should turn off the pump so that wouldn't do anything right?
Not sure what you mean by "tears"? If the brake fluid is spraying out, how do you know if there's any air bubbles in the stream?

Bleeding at the track also helps get air out, as all the vibration and heat seems to release it. Using a clear hose on the nipples allow me to see when an air bubble is released.

Last paragraph makes no sense. Did you pull the fuse to the ABS pump? If so, ABS won't "kick in"- it'll be shut off. It'll make threshold braking more difficult and the chance of locking up a tire more likely. Either of these things can ruin your day quickly at a race or track day...
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 PM
HRMoneyPit

I race without the fuse cause ABS doesn't kick in anymore and try and kill me mid turns when I'm trying to fix a mistake

Anyways I think I got it. We followed the book to a tee which said keep the key off and disconnect the battery.

Before we did that we also cracked the lines off the master and bleed from there a couple times. Then from the first stop I could feel it worked. What a difference!!!!

Tomorrow I'll bleed with the Motul and also my clutch fluid. Then Saturday install my brake master stopped and change the oil before the track on Sunday. Thanks for the help, I'll report back