Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Felpro oil pan gasket with Ultra Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Felpro oil pan gasket with Ultra Black

I'm gonna pull the pan and do some maintenance this weekend. When I bought my 03.5 G there was a huge leak on both valve covers. Fixed that with new gaskets all is well. Because the previous owner left the car leaking oil for so long the oil pan is caked also so I bought a oil pan gasket since it was cheap. I of course read the FSM and see it calls for a no gasket Permatex Ultra silicone gasket maker.

Now to the main concern. I'm a fan of gaskets so can I use Ultra Gray or Ultra Black in a thin thin head along with the felpro gasket on the oil pan.

Just not sure if I can use both in the application. My felpro valve cover gaskets in the instructions said to not use rtv whatsoever but we all know you have to around the front of the valve cover.

Or am I just over worrying and throw the damn gasket on there like I've done in the past and be done with it.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

just use RTV, dont use a gasket ... I did mine per the FSM. I used permatex ultra black. Use enough around the outside of the pan-seal so it purges out to the outside but doesnt purge into the oil pan side (although it would get caught in the oil pickup screen and/or oil filter before it go into the engine).

I also let the RTV cure for 15 or 20 minutes before I reinstalled the oil pan.

I'm sure I have some pictures somewhere if that'd help?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

i just fixed an oil pan leak with the felpro gasket and all is good so far. didn't use any rtv. i think you're supposed to do either or. i wouldn't do both.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Swaglife81

Thanks for the replies. I guess its just a preference. I came from the world of RTV and old style gaskets before rubber/synthetics came into the game. I guess its hard to break old habits. Since I have the gasket and the Ultra Black. I was debating going ahead and getting a pan spacer since I am pulling the lower pan. The one from Z1 that adds 3/4 quart capacity that you can get with a couple taps in it I guess for temp sensor. I saw a DIY on 370z where they used spray Ultra Grey which I have never tried. I might try the gasket on top side and rtv on bottom. Anyone with any experience with Permatex spray gasket
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

why are you adding a spacer? Those ports would be for a turbo'd oil scavenge line, not a temp sensor. If you get the spacer - ensure you get the extension to drop the oil pickup line as well...
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 AM
Swaglife81

I ran a spacer on my last car for about a decade. Car was my DD like my G is but it's a preventative kinda measure. I don't remember exact numbers but I wasn't running any type of oil cooler but the extra 3/4 to 1 quart oil lowered the temps some so I've grown in the habit of always running a spacer, catch can, keeping all fluid temps down in a budget friendly way one way or another. The car isn't track/strip ready but I'm a spirited driver so since I'm pulling the pan I'm gonna throw one on. The one I'm looking at from my understanding comes with plugs and options for oil feeds for turbos or temp sensor. Any plug with the right NPT fitting size that sees fluid can have a temp sensor it doesn't have to be turbo line or nothing.