Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird Sound at 60+

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM
BjonesZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird Sound at 60+

What's up Z fam, so about a week ago I started to get this really weird sound at 60+ it's like a rattling sound(hard to explain), under 60 mph the car is completely fine no noises drives like the day I got her, but once I hit 60 this god awful noise, doesn't sound mechanical so that's a relief, but still concerns me because I just replaced the tires 3 days ago, car has had all regular maintenance done to it, previous owner only drove it on sunny weekends and it was a female so I don't think the car was abused, I purchased with 23,xxx miles on it and just recently hit 30k. I drive to and from school everyday which is a 25 mile commute, I will attempt to attach a link to the video where you can hear the sound.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thanks In advance from one vq owner to another.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

get up under the car and start shaking stuff... too many variables
Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the sound wasn't happening before you got new tires... Well then whoever did your tires might wanna check their work..
Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 PM
BjonesZ33

Originally Posted by TimsZee
If the sound wasn't happening before you got new tires... Well then whoever did your tires might wanna check their work..

The sound was was present before the tires were changed. I thought that new tires and a balance would fix it, but of course with my luck, nothing is ever that easy.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 PM
TimsZee

Then sounds like you can eliminate something being wrong with tires/wheels.

Any noticeable vibrations when you get up to that speed? Or anything else other than sounds?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM
BjonesZ33

Nope no vibrations or anything it feels normal just that sound, hurts my soul when I hear it so I slow down immediately not sure if it goes away after 80
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM
TimsZee

I keep listening to it, it just sounds like when something hits high speed and is off rotation..
Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 PM
TimsZee

If its at a certain speed then it has to be wheels or rotors. Because if it was RPM base it would be like driveshaft, flywheel or something like that, right?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 AM
BjonesZ33

Originally Posted by TimsZee
I keep listening to it, it just sounds like when something hits high speed and is off rotation..

Im thinking the same thing, that it has something to with the way the wind hits the car, I'm gonna put it on my buddy's lift today and take the splash shield or whatever it's called off, and see if that makes a difference, on the highway, thanks for the help, will keep informed if anything changes.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM
BjonesZ33

Default Thank the Lord

So as I stated this morning, I put the car on a friend of mines lift, the splash shield underneath was missing a screw causing it to hang a slight amount, I removed the whole shield and test drive it and thank god the sound is gone, got her up to 90 and nothing!! Must have been the way the wind hit the piece causing it to flap back and forth. so happy right now because literally everything I thought of would have been a serious problem for a car with only 30k on it (wheel bearing, tie rods, rims) so I went online and ordered a full aluminum undertray to protect the under carriage, and hey it has an opening to unscrew to access the oil filter without removing the whole bottom or getting oil all over the tray, Thank you to all who gave input on what they thought the problem was, I really appreciate it.