Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Headlight condensation issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight condensation issues

Well, I know this has been posted before but I've had no luck. My driver side headlight started to develop condensation and I waited a few days to see if it'd dissappear but had no luck. I took out the headlight and redid the seal assuming it'd work. I also checked the vent to see if it was clogged, it wasn't. Neither of these fixed the issue. I cleaned up all the bulb gaskets and even oiled them a bit to see if it'd fix the issue, that didn't work. I then *sigh* decided to drill a hole in the top and bottom of the housing to see if it was simply that vapour couldn't escape, that didn't fix the issue. I'm lost at what to do, I've redone the seal 3 times. I've even put the light in oven and separated the housing and redone the seal. I can fill housing with water and there aren't any leaks.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy new headlights. I'm afraid the condensation buildup and lack of escape will cause an issue with the lights. I've found tiny bits of water around the connections.

Thank you.

Last edited by irbullet; 02-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Two possibilities. You're not letting them air out sufficiently. You don't have fender liners. And/or both.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by dcains
Two possibilities. You're not letting them air out sufficiently. You don't have fender liners. And/or both.
I have fender liners, what do you suggest I do to air out a bit more? I've used a compressor, hair dryer, oven, I've tried various ways. My past week has been working on this -.-

the condensation is always in same spots as well, if that means anything.

Could the vent be allowing vapour in?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 PM
dcains

The vent could be the issue - don't know, but air from a comressor is rarely dry, unless it's a specific paint compressor with a dryer. Just blowing into them with a dryer, or baking, may mot circulate all the air in the housing. Maybe try a dessicant package (fresh, of course, and seal them up for a week or so with that inside? Every once in a while I se some condensation in my '08 headlights, which have never been opened, but it doesn't last long.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM
irbullet

Originally Posted by dcains
The vent could be the issue - don't know, but air from a comressor is rarely dry, unless it's a specific paint compressor with a dryer. Just blowing into them with a dryer, or baking, may mot circulate all the air in the housing. Maybe try a dessicant package (fresh, of course, and seal them up for a week or so with that inside? Every once in a while I se some condensation in my '08 headlights, which have never been opened, but it doesn't last long.
I woke up this morning to see all the condensation gone, hopefully it does not come back. I hope it was just vapour trapped inside. This is the first time the condensation has fully disappeared.

Ill reply here if it comes back and I find a solution.
Thank you
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

next time get some silica gel beads, put it in some pantyhose or something and push it into the housing some, but make sure you dont rip the hose or those beads will be all over the insides
Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by irbullet
I woke up this morning to see all the condensation gone, hopefully it does not come back. I hope it was just vapour trapped inside. This is the first time the condensation has fully disappeared.

Ill reply here if it comes back and I find a solution.
Thank you
Hopefully, it's gone for good. I think your biggest mistake was filling up the housing with water to check for leaks. Lots of little places for water to hide, and even a few small drops will make a good amount of condensation.