Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

question about battery install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts
Default question about battery install

Howdy folks, may be kind of a dumb question, but I bought a new battery for my '07 Z today from the local Nissan dealer. This is the 3rd battery the car has had since it was new; last one was installed while at the dealer about 4 yrs ago.

I just wondered if there are any potential issues when disconnecting the cables/install of new battery? I've changed out several batteries on past vehicles myself, but never on the Z; I have uprev tuning and wondered if the disconnection would have any effect on my tune, etc. Thanks for any info. or suggestions before I change it out tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you will be fine,
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Howdy folks, may be kind of a dumb question, but I bought a new battery for my '07 Z today from the local Nissan dealer. This is the 3rd battery the car has had since it was new; last one was installed while at the dealer about 4 yrs ago.

I just wondered if there are any potential issues when disconnecting the cables/install of new battery? I've changed out several batteries on past vehicles myself, but never on the Z; I have uprev tuning and wondered if the disconnection would have any effect on my tune, etc. Thanks for any info. or suggestions before I change it out tomorrow.
While you may be fine, I find it - perhaps overly cautious of my state of tune and dash controls - to put a NOCO settings keeper plugged into the aux. port with key on (to allow the receptacle to stay hot so battery power could flow back into the system).

OR, as I did most recently to swap the battery, I just used my "Miracle Box" (booster-device charger doomahickey) to keep the sys energized while removing the terminals.

Gotta be careful though.... I wrapped each side in a rag just to make sure I didn't weld my watch or wedding ring to the car. Laff...

Semi-related sidenote: when my wife gave me that boost-box for Christmas '15, I came to the realization that all of the tools I was buying/procuring of late came in genuine real faux simulated naugahyde-like leather zipper cases. Two OBD scanners, Mercedes scanner, tuning tools/cables, this boost box and even the several remotes for my car's various stuff (none of which I use). Who needs ratchet wrenches anymore?
BigBlue (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM
travlee
Master

Miracle box sounds like a......

nevermind (evil grin)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

My only advice is remove all the plastic trimming around the battery compartment to make life easier... GL.
BigBlue (03-15-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:20 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
My only advice is remove all the plastic trimming around the battery compartment to make life easier... GL.
You are correct; removal of that little panel is a must. I then tie wired the + terminal and connecting items on it over to the right (out of the way), then unclipped the fuse box and wired it over out of the way to the left.

Still is a tight squeeze swapping the batteries out. * I miss the old days when everything under the hood was easy access hehe!

Last edited by BigBlue; 03-23-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:16 PM
travlee
Master

Mine is in the trunk on the vette.... super simple