Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

KSUBERK54's build thread/slowest progression ever (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KSUBERK54's build thread/slowest progression ever (pic heavy)

I've been a member for almost two years and think it's about time I made my own build thread. Before we talk about my Z, I figured I'd share a little bit about myself. I'm from Manhattan, Kan. home of the Kansas State Wildcats (hence the KSU in my name) and part of my last name is Berk (hence the 2nd part of my name).

I got my first car 10 years ago when I was a freshman in high school. It was a 1993 Mercury Cougar xr7. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It looked exactly like this.

At the end of my sophomore year in high school I totaled it and had to settle for this piece of junk for a year. A 1988 Chevrolet Corsica. Yuck.

The summer before my senior year in high school I bought my sisters 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE. It was cool at the time. I drove it all the way through college.

After graduation from K-State in 2011 I felt it was time (and I was due) for a nice car. So I researched and researched and researched some more before deciding on a 350z. I looked and saved money for about three months before my mom found a 6MT 2006 350z enthusiast on craigslist. It had 48k on the clock and overall it was in good condition. It had minor wear and tear for a 5 year old car and the headlights were foggy. Nothing I couldn't fix or deal with.

A couple months went by and I started getting a better feel for my car and wanted to mod it but before I modded it, I decided I would rather use that money on something that means more to me. I proposed to my gf at the time (now wife) in Dec. 2011.

So there went a couple grand. In the spring of 2012 I decided I was tired of the sun always shining in my eyes on my way to work so I tinted the windows.

Shortly after, I decided to buy a Nismo shift **** and a Nismo oil cap.

In June 2012, I decided I was tired of my crappy clutch pedal assembly and wanted an upgrade so I went with the RJM adjustable clutch bracket. Took me all day to do it because I didn't remove the seat and I'm 6'2, but it was totally worth it.

I also decided I hated the scratch marks on my interior door handles so I ordered some 3M carbon fiber. It took me a couple of tries to get it right.

Then came the wedding in July 2012. It was the hottest day of the year.

While we were on our honeymoon, I had my brother fix some scratches some kids did on my ride with rocks. It cost me 60 total bucks for scratch repair paint and his labor to fix it while we were on our honeymoon.

In Sept. 2012, I found a Momentum intake on craigslist and scooped it up for a clean 110 bucks. It had a dent in it but nothing terrible.

Before I could put it on, some guy offered me 265 for it so I sold it for a good profit and used that money to buy a friends used Megan exhaust and Megan Y pipe for 280. He only used it for a couple of months and put 8k miles on it.

I entered a Motordyne contest so I slapped some stickers on it.

In Oct. 2012 my window motor went out. I didn't do anything about it for a couple of weeks, hoping it would fix itself. One day after it rained and it was only 90% up I decided to get a new motor.

In Feb. 2013, I decided I wanted to mod more but didn't want to spend too much money or time since it was cold out so I went with some carbon fiber B pillar overlays and painted my door handles black.

March 2013, I finally paid off my car only 18 months into the 36 month loan plan with some tax return money!

May 2013, I was ready to finally get some wheels. I went with some flat black XXR 527's 18x9.75 all around on 265/35/18s all around.

A few weeks later I finally got an RDX antenna.

That's currently how she sits. I just purchased an Mrev2 + spacer from a member on here and a drag racing helmet to go racing with sometime (I used to work at a newspaper and could never take Friday nights off).

I plan on installing the Mrev2 + spacer this weekend. Next mods will be using the rest of my 3M to do my center console, intake (K&N drop in or popcharger), lowering springs, camber kit, lip.

I will continue updating this thread as it progresses. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

-Steve

Last edited by ksuberk54; 07-18-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

looks good, imo - skip those next few mods and go get a professional tune first... ala Dynosty or the like..
Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
The REAL PigPen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's like we know you know. LoL. Good build though and I'm on the tune after you get the MREV2 and spacer installed.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
ksuberk54

Thanks for the advice guys. I am planning on getting some new spark plugs and installing them this weekend when I do the Mrev2 + spacer. I also plan on getting the K&N drop in filter sometime soon and maybe this fall or winter I'll do a tune. Here's a recent pic I took of my ride.

On a side note, this is more or less what I'd like my car to eventually look like. I'd like to, at some point, get a turbo as well. I have no idea if it's in the cards in the near future but I'd like to think it is. Well, too much talking. Here's the photos.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great progress!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM
ksuberk54

Went to my brothers house this weekend to install my Mrev2 + spacer and some new spark plugs. It took us about 2.5 to 3 hours to do it all. I noticed the difference right away! Pulls so much harder!

Here are the old spark plugs (68k miles on them)

New spark plugs!

My old revup lower plenum. Looks nasty.

Mrev2 + spacer!!!

My stock upper plenum. It looked worse than this, I tried to clean it up with armor all wipes.

We ended up using carburetor cleaner. So much more win!

Finished product (yes I know I need to clean my engine bay).

Pic of the car at my wife's pool party.

Next mod will most likely be K&N drop in filter!

-Steve
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

nice progress. subbed.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Very detailed in your progress indeed. Take your time, it's not a race... car looks good. Need a drop and you're done with the look department. Body kit is optional but will enhance your appearance.

GL and happy modding!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
ksuberk54

Talked to a dynotune place 2 hours away. Sounds like they could dynotune my car with uprev for 480. Not bad at all if you ask me. After I get my k&n drop in I'll probably drive down to Wichita to get it done. I'll post the results as soon as I have them! Probably won't be for at least another month or so though.

Last edited by ksuberk54; 06-28-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Good work and coming along nicely, I like the 527s. Congrats on getting married.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM
ksuberk54

Well, a few things going on this week!

-Getting a K&N drop in filter (Is it even worth it to do this mod or am I wasting $50?)
-Going to the track for the first time (any suggestions or advice for a first timer?)
-Possibly buying some lowering springs for my car though, I'm not sure if I should buy them or just do the rear spring mount mod. I have the square setup (265/35/18) and there's just over a 1 1/2" gap between the front fender and the tire but there's exactly a 2" gap between the rear fender and the tire. I basically just want to get rid of that ugly gap but I don't want to be 'hellaflush' or have to worry about hitting curbs all the time. The springs I was looking at buying from a guy is Tanabe GF210 with a 1" drop in the front and a 1 1/4" drop in the rear. I thought about doing both the spring mount mod and the springs and getting camber kits and an alignment. Suggestions?

P.S.: My wife and I just celebrated our one year anniversary. She hooked me up with some glamour shots of her in lingerie that she had a professional take. Pretty badass chick!

Last edited by ksuberk54; 07-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get the springs and still do the spring mount mod. I've had 3 different sets of springs on the z and everyone of them set the rears higher. Springs I've owned we're s-techs, gf-210', lastly sportlines.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM
ksuberk54

Went to the track tonight for the first time. I'm somewhat disappointed with my time. I ran 14.8 my first pass and then lowered the rear tire pressure to 30, I should have lowered it more. I then mis shifted like three in a row. My best time all night was 14.356. I really need to improve my 60 and it starts with ny launch. I haven't quite figured out what rpm to launch at. I was doing 2k and slowly letting off but I was still burning out every time on 265/35/18's. Any advice? I think I might just need more wheel time and some slicks snd a better drag strip than Heartland Park Topeka.

R/T..... .492
60' ..... 2.289
330.... 6.185
1/8 .... 9.363
MPH... 78.28
1000... 12.072
E/T..... 14.356
MPH... 99.83
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 PM
lolsupfoo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next mod, full detail lol
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
ksuberk54

Time to get low!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
michaelmoon912

Nice progress! I'm pleased and cant wait to see what the car ends up looking like when it's all said and done. Make sure you get the appropriate camber and toe hardware for those gf210's. You will need them regardless of what forum posts say, your tires will thank you later. (I Found out the hard way.)

Good luck on the mods and keep this thread updated!

If you decide to do the spring mount mod to level out the rear(which you should it makes the car look alot better.), go for these Energy Suspension 9.6120R Coil Spring Isolators, instead of cutting the spring mounts. Its about a 15 min change and you get the perfect amount of level in my opinion. I used them on my car and it sits perfect to me.

And after all this lowering business, definitely spend the cash and get it professionally detailed it will make the car pop so much more.

Last edited by michaelmoon912; 08-05-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM
ksuberk54

That's actually pretty much why I'm doing the drop. I mean, the front looks okay but I can't stand the rear fender gap being as big as it is. I was definitely going to do the rear spring mount mod. I googled that Engergy Suspension thingy had a few questions. Do it just replace the rear spring mount? The drop is 1" in the front and 1.25" in the back for the GF210's and when I meausred my car it looks like there is just over 1 1/2 inches of separation between the front wheel and the front fender and exactly 2 inches between the back wheel and back fender so I was going to start with just a 1/4 inch cut off the rear spring mounts and see how it sits. It wouldn't look that bad if I wouldn't have gone with the square set up. Oh well. I wanted to get lowering springs someday anyways. I plan on getting a rear camber kit and toe bolts and installing of it with my brother and then taking it to a local auto place for an alignment.

As for the detail like you and lolsupfoo mentioned, I probably will next year. I just can't fathom spending money on it when I park outside as it is. My wife and I will probably move into a house next summer and I'll probably have a front lip by then and hopefully a turbo kit!!! It's just hard for me to spend money on something like that when it just sits outside getting beat to death by the sun. I wash it once a week at least though unless it's raining a lot, which is has for the last two weeks.

Originally Posted by michaelmoon912
Nice progress! I'm pleased and cant wait to see what the car ends up looking like when it's all said and done. Make sure you get the appropriate camber and toe hardware for those gf210's. You will need them regardless of what forum posts say, your tires will thank you later. (I Found out the hard way.)

Good luck on the mods and keep this thread updated!

If you decide to do the spring mount mod to level out the rear(which you should it makes the car look alot better.), go for these Energy Suspension 9.6120R Coil Spring Isolators, instead of cutting the spring mounts. Its about a 15 min change and you get the perfect amount of level in my opinion. I used them on my car and it sits perfect to me.

And after all this lowering business, definitely spend the cash and get it professionally detailed it will make the car pop so much more.

Last edited by ksuberk54; 08-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 AM
ksuberk54

Received my rear camber kit! I thought I bought an Eibach rear camber kit and the box says Eibach but the kit says SPC. Weird. Oh well, SPC or Eibach, both are good brands!

I plan on installing them tomorrow or next weekend!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ yeah no worries. They are both made at the same factory.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
michaelmoon912

Yep can't go wrong with either brand Good choice.
Im running SPC Rear arms and toe bolts and haven't had a problem with alignment drifting or anything like that so you're solid.

And honestly i would just get the energy suspension isolators, they were the perfect drop for me i think my car settled around 1.7-1.8 inches of total drop in the rear, im also on a 265/35/18 on a 10.5 inch wheel so its a little lower than what you would have also, but since you have little to no stretch on your wheels it would be the perfect drop combined with that sidewall. The fender well will look nice and filled out when it settles.

I think it was you i pm'd back but yes all you do is jack up the rear take the existing spring mount out and place the energy poly isolator where the old one was and lower the car back down and you will be good to go. Do one side at a time just so you can make sure it seats right.

And as for the detail yeah it's not important to get it professionally detailed especially if it sits outside most of the time, i would just pick up some good wax and claybar it and it will look just fine. I use mother's claybar, zymol wash, follow it up with meguiars detailer, then a good coat of meguiars black wax and it looks pretty damn good. Total cost of all that is about 30-40$ and lasts me about 3-4 months worth of cleaning, and the time spent detailing but who doesn't love polishing on their Z. :P

Last edited by michaelmoon912; 08-12-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: KSUBERK54's build thread/slowest progression ever (pic heavy)