Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

The Journey of my Top Secret Japan Mazinger Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Blackheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The Journey of my Top Secret Japan Mazinger Z

Well I guess its time I add the story of my Z to this forum.

Its crazy looking back writing this now thinking how far I have come with this car. So many memories, headaches, joys, meeting people, $$$ spent, well ....its just been nothing short of an adventure.

I always had a fascination with cars although I can admit I didn't know jack about Japanese cars. I always grew up around domestics between muscle cars and low-riders since at the time that's mostly what I saw. However in high school, I had always been curious about Japanese culture in every aspect, the language, the food, the toys, the cars, well everything ...and the especially the women.

Once I finished college and had been working for about 2 years in my field, My daily at the time started acting up. I decided it was time for a new car but for months I was undecided but I knew I wanted something NEW something that is not seen with regularity. Something that would stand the test of time once I added my personal touch it. Something that had that would combine my love of cars, women, and my favorite anime Mazinger Z. I always related back to a car I would see in a magazine. It was different but the body lines just mesmerized me. Couldnt help but wonder "What the #UCK are these guys saying in here?!?!"

This started it all. EFFF YOU!!!!!

So I went to the Nissan dealer, once I first saw the first one, I knew it had caught me. Next step was to test drive it. Once I got on the freeway, I was blown by the response and the handling of the car. Keep in mind my old daily was a stock mustang, and after that it was a 1978 monte carlo metallic brown.

No pics of a 06 Silverstone Z but im sure you can imagine it.

I went to local car meets and after speaking to one of the members on here he introduced me to this site. First mod was finding the wheels I wanted. Bought Brand new Work Varianza wheels.

(Right before I sold them)

The next mod I did was get an Exhaust. I don't have any pictures of it though It was a Bassani.

I kept reading about Smoky Nagata in Japan and his crazy builds. I was totally impressed by this guy's devotion to cars. I knew I wanted to build a Topsecret car at least get the aero parts. However Sourcing ANYTHING from Topsecret was the biggest challenge. I didn't know who could order them or if they even had a way to order them. This was before RHDJAPAN.com
Typical response at local "JDM" car shops and meets was "Topsecret?!" What is that?
REally?!?!

So I set my goals on reality and just build what I could with my means.
I got into the Aero. I went with a Central 20 kit except the front which is the Z1 performance Type E bumper.

Slowing I built the suspension, went the cheaper routine since I thought I would never drift or track the car. Huge mistake! Might as well just grabbed the bills from my wallet and Flush the $hit down the toilet.

Got some Eibach springs, and Hotchkis sways, and Tokico D spec struts. (no Pic of the sways)

I changed the front bumper, the sides, and rear bumper again to give a more true jdm look. Went with Nismo V2. nismo Jdm sides, and Cwest rear add ons. ( Little did I know the huge mistake of buying $hitty Replica parts, another lessoned learned)

By this time its already around late '08. No funds for mods will stop you real quick. Plus other priorities in life came first. However everytime I got on this forum I kept seeing some very sick builds. Wrote to lots of people on here learning about their experiances and the Hell they went to to get their car to their current stages.

Something that kept bothering me was starting this car project and not finishing it. I wanted a Topsecret car and it was really getting to me knowing I had almost gone in the opposite direction.
at this point my Z just looked like any other silver stone Z.

So after a small accident where just my rear bumper was destroyed, Thank God almighty, I decided to go for it and do the best I could build this car as close as possible to the picture I had in my head. Guess this set back gave me the foot in the @ss I needed to start over.

So I hunted and found
-Topsecret Rear Valences (the rear add-ons Stupid!)
-Authentic USDM nismo sides, replica Jdm ones were paperthin
-Aerosync front for the track
-HKS exhaust
-Evo R blitz spoiler (Jdm Blitz damaged in shipped didn't want to wait 6 months for another)

I always hated pearl colors so I chose a jet white.... Car went in for surgery and came out strong.

After the paint, I decided to take a break and make a dream come true. Always wanted to go there and I finally figured life is too short to sit on my @ss waiting for $hit to come to me. If you want something Just Get the F*ck up and go Get It! You always have bills at every point in your life, so you might as well enjoy your life. I took a trip to Japan and convinced some friends.

At the nismo shop in omori I met this beast

At the Nissan headquarter they were celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Zs tradition. Quite a sight to see early models Zs up til now.
Even early concept drawing of the Z's

So many things to see in japan, I cant upload them all.
Just another Mexican in Japan here

The Biggest let down was going to the Topsecret shop and finding out it was closed
Smoky was in Germany...he had flown out to work on a customers car. God did that suck.

My last day in Japan I went somewhere special ...and IMO the most breath taking place....

So I came back to the states more inspired then ever to finish my car. Picked up a lot of jdm goodies in japan and brought them to their new home.

A few months later I was shocked to hear Smoky Nagata was coming to Houston. Furthermore he was going to tune a few cars. After talking to Smokys friend I was put on the list to meet the man. Planet Zero organized the whole event with the help of Speedhunters and mayday garage.
http://maydaygarage.com/2010/02/17/b...me-to-houston/
http://maydaygarage.com/tag/top-secret/

So I finally got to meet the man and watch him work in person.

I got to hang out with his translator and eventually he became my friend. Little did I know he was the guy to go to for advice and finding car parts. He built probably the sickest 240 out there in my opinion. He did all the work himself on this car except the paint.

With Smoky here...I got ask him all about topsecret, how he started the significance of the white and gold cars, his beginnings, and I learned about him as a tuner.
This guy is total dedication to his work, which in fact are his customers cars. He builds a life long relationship with everyone. A typical day for this guy is going to the shop around noon and then spend 10-12 hours building, modifying, tuning a car all by himself, taking breaks only to eat and go to the restroom. If he has to work one car, will dedicate a whole day to just that car.
I wish I could of picked his brain more but with language as a barrier its pretty hard. Amazingly he is not uptight, nor does he think of himself above others. Hes shy, quite, very humble, and approachable. At the car show Import reactor, he always took to the time to shake hands, sign autographs, and took time out for pictures.
I got a totally different vibe from Tsuzo Niikura. Kinda like I was a nuisance just for being there at the shop in japan.

So after Smoky tuned my car, I was shocked to see how the car was different. Total different feeling. Process tune as he named was just for response. All I had on my see engine mod wise by this time was HKS exhaust, intake, and a Plenum spacer. After He was done the Z went into what seemed a limp mode until it relearned itself then it just woke up. The Response is DEFINATELY there once you hit the gas.
After this I just had to finish my car, I kept looking for those rare parts. I kept thinking how often do people get their car tuned by one of the top tuners from japan?

Mods came in.

Final Flag strut bar.

Nismo Steering wheel from the D1 races and a Topsecret Quick release. Tommy Kiara Hebi bebi shifter. TopSecret Intake w/HKS filter, TopSecret Longnose bumper Version 2, Aragosta Coilovers, Stoptech BBK, Work Meisters. Custom headlight paint job, Muteki Lugs, Tommy Kiara radiator cap.

I took a break in 2012 since I had fallen behind in debt and had to pay $hit off. Mortgage, water, light, gas, medical, Girlfriend well everything adds up pretty quick.

Funny how you play Catch up sometimes in life. Seems like everyone is advancing while you are left behind and forgotten.
By this time, im considering marriage after years of dating. However.. she said the cars has to GO?!?! no compromising no working it out nothing. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Just when you think Life cant get any crazier......

In july of 2013 the only person who has ever supported me in this build of mine passed. my father....

So finally I put all the pieces together after what seemed endless set backs in life. I have gained so much, and lost so much in the process. Lots of great memories and lots of not so good ones. I met lots of people in the scene, unfortunately there are shady people, but there are also those out there always willing to help. I learned so much in every aspect of this car. Seems like I went thru everything I originally incorporated in the beginning with this car- experiences with my family, women, Music, cultures, well everything. Its been there. So here is how my Top-Secret Japan Mazinger Z how it sits now.

I have to give credit where its due. I have to thank my friends I have met at meets and on this site. The old school members who always took the time to point me in the right direction -cheston, RickDogg, Mike Lee, Nexx, Royal and the rest...you know who you are. Big Shout out to Ravspec who helped me getting my wheels when I though I lost $$$ due to a vendor. I have had my shares of problems with this car,my Z is not the fastest, its not turbo'ed or supercharged...but I wouldn't give you one f*cking bad memory of it back.

I built it in my vision.

That's what makes our builds great, its our personal touch and trying to change it for the better with every stage it goes through and seeing it through.

To everyone who has helped me with the Z. I say thanks!

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
WillyP28

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up! I enjoyed reading the story behind your build and love everything you have done to your Z.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
DrummerGirl

Your story is so inspirational man! @_@ Makes me want to go make my car into a sexy beast like yours. Your car is beautiful, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice write-up and nice Z. Doesn't need to be turbo'd or supercharged....just needs to have some high-quality parts with a lot of TLC behind them. I'm glad you realized your vision!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Got to love the White and Gold combo

Great read homie! I like your dedication. I would love to take a trip to the "mother land" of car parts

I have those rear "mud guards" and don't plan on selling them

Great car and great read!

Chris
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Excellent post. Keep up the great work.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome thread
Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Blackheart your car has come a loooong way... awesome build homie
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Waizz +1
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the best threads I've read on here in well over a year.

Your car looks outstanding!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Blackheart

Thanks guys! Thanks for the support, makes the build all worth it and beyond.

I noticed the forums are not as active as before... mostly because members have moved onto other projects and other priorities in life. I think its blessing to be able to keep your car especially after so much is put into it. Technology changes, new faster cars are always there but if you still have that awesome feeling when you sit in your car, you know you are where you belong.

I get that feeling every time I sit in, strap in, and hear the exhaust come on. ITS mine.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Blackheart

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Blackheart your car has come a loooong way... awesome build homie
Thanks Brother! Hope to see you at the All Team Bash, So far we are rolling 25+ strong. Houston Z's coming together!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Johnny 5

Wow, your story was a great mental journey on its own, and you supplemented it very nicely with pictures. Well done, mate. You've inspired me to completely delete and redo my progress thread into more of a story..but I'll wait until I have more to say

P.S. I love your car as is...but knowing it's story makes me love it even more
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Blackheart

Originally Posted by Johnny 5
Wow, your story was a great mental journey on its own, and you supplemented it very nicely with pictures. Well done, mate. You've inspired me to completely delete and redo my progress thread into more of a story..but I'll wait until I have more to say

P.S. I love your car as is...but knowing it's story makes me love it even more
Thanks man. I appreciate the words. So you decided to go in a direction huh? Well just take your time and do it the way you want it, there will be no regrets. cant wait to see what you build. Took me 8 years to pull it off.
I seen lots of great threads on here and I have heard some awesome stories in person that never make it into words. Its all the things that happen in between and during the builds that all contribute to the story. its not just posting pictures of parts, its all the human experiances that go along with it that make a story. good, bad, ultimately the feelings are the ones shape the outcome of your car. positive ones make you want to go own. But its the bad ones that make you say F*uck this part, F*ck this car, and everything with it! lol but yes its determination that gets us through.

At meets I always tell people "Before the build, a car is just a car. Its YOU that Makes the car what it is, otherwise that car is a another car ...Its your ideas and dreams that bring it to life."

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM
jdmlove1

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool story, how you went to japan and all that. really inspiration.

i have one q, how did he tune your car? am sure he didnt use uprev!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Blackheart

Originally Posted by jdmlove1
cool story, how you went to japan and all that. really inspiration.

i have one q, how did he tune your car? am sure he didnt use uprev!
Smoky used a program he and his team developed. Its called PRO-cess tune, which is what they use now on all their cars. When he came they had just finished developing it if I recall correctly. He tuned 350zs, 370s, G35, a 240, and several GTR's with it all while his stay here in texas. The software does work and is listed on the topsecret site.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Blackheart

here it is. http://www.topsecret-jpn.com/base117.html google translate is needed
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 PM
jdmlove1

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanx, went through their web site, their is a price written next to z33 HR its around 1030 USD, i dont know if this price for in house tune or they send you a tune!!

if you dont mind me asking, from where you got your rear top secret add-ons?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Blackheart

I bought them used off a member here. Just kinda got lucky, they were posted for a while and no one wanted them. Picked them asap. Top-secret can probably still make just might take a while. They take their time to ensure quality.

Quick Reply: The Journey of my Top Secret Japan Mazinger Z