Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost

Welcome to the build.

specs as bought
2007 hr 350z base
6 speed
stock everything.
open diff..

I have had the car for a couple of months and ill do my best to recap the build sofar, as well as detail the goal of a weekend warrior for the track with a balance between multiple areas of motorsport. Heres the girl the first day home. The next post will bring everyone up to date followed by an inspiration and goal post, featuring pictures and ideas of the forthcomming project.
Attached Thumbnails humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-20130908_155902-1.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

PPW is always a nice start! Looking forward to your updates.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

In for more
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

sub'd
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing updates

Do you have a mod list yet?

Nick C.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
humducker

Mod list and pics after work. Doing a write up on a cell is like fi without a tune.
It just doesnt F/!&ING work...lol.. catch yall around 830pm central
Old 03-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You have an interesting build going and it will look bad *** when it's done. Subscribed.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 PM
humducker

WARNING <<<<LONGWINDED POST>>>>

On to the mods..

First things first. We all know it. no denial on my part.

OPEN DIFF BLOWS..

BUT...... heres the thing. when you like getting sideways or hitting the track the base model is my goto. no traction control. u know what that means.
http://youtu.be/ORC6UNUX1e4 (dont u f@$King judge me. it was the last 10 minutes of drive time before i changed tires)

but to make the base model worth its weight u have to get u some lsd..
or acid. maybe some shrooms. i settled for vlsd. its not the end result but for 350 bucks i scored a 3.7 gear ratio with vlsd. Threw some energy suspension bushings on that bad boy and with some cursing and bleeding i got officially crooked. ahh...now thats better.

PUTER

Now to monitor speeds on ye_ole_roadway we are going to need some computer thingy or somthing. I opted for a bully dog system off a fellow car guy in the area. The universal module is rad. so many times throughout the years ive been searching the net and found the programmer i want only to find the part number was one digit off and it only worked in the Australian domestic market.. ...Back on course. it works great a short drive with a gps and i tuned the speedometer perfect at all speeds with the benifit of a lil "performance" tuning, hah. it would prove to be something later on though. in addition to my ghetto tune and speedometer i could monitor the factory widebands a/f ratio. and intake temperature. along with perfomance testing in the form of a digitally monitored 1/4 mile run, which ill get into later.

INTAKAE

Mr. craig hinted that a set of fujita intakes for a cool 150$ .. doneski(see picture and applaud at my haggling skillz.)

STOP.. blah blah bolt on. lets spice it up.
Hows about we shoot some header wrap on those bad boys and pretend to loose some intake degreez.

well I did and it did. 2 degrees constant. no matter what the outside temp i got 2 degrees cooler. i removed the wrap and low and behold 2 degrees higher. Id love to mod the coolant running in the throttle bodies. i live in texas so warmup in cold weather is not an issue. because even though the intakes have a reduced heat transfer the intake is still being heated constantly by 190 degree water. no one likes a hot air charge. especially where i'm headed.

so after all these words were at this list
1. vlsd w an improvement from 3.5 to 3.692
2. bully dog programmer with whatever bs tune they provide.
3. some giftwrapped intakes

coolio.

AND THEEENNNNNN

ECSHAUSTINSTUFFIN

megan racing Y pipe back single 3" exhaust. pretty sweet.
I enjoy the low tone and quiet sound. beast under full throttle.

well quiet until i found some stainless beluga(generic 119$) test pipes and
y pipe(148$) but damn something happened because my a/f went bad..
the computer overcompensated becoming very rich. (thats what i'm told)
11.1 to 11.6 a/f/ ratio.

and the sound is something like a full on track car under power..

SUM RIMS

Can anyone say generic rims.. I can. XXR521 to be exact. but for 450 with tires who cares. 10" all the way around eliminated my understeer.

I now have a set of 8.5 front xxrs with some decent rubber so that i have 2 sets of 10" rims for drifting or autoxing. life is just better when ur not burning the ONLY set of rear tires u have.

ZA TRAK

so i went out and with some terrible dryrotted free tires put down some 1/4 mile times. best time was a 13.4 @ 107 with a 2.3 60 ft time. tires let me down.
between the gears which made first gear a monster and the tires which make life a ***** i feel 13.4 is a good time

DA TUUNE

yep.. i went there . osiris cable. w cypher.. yep... 350$ eat me.
i was happy as hell. i bought the 2 etunes for 100 bucks and got that damn
cel the F out of there. also.... i said ALSO<,m@#$% after some datalogging and emailing i got set with a safe 12.5 a/f ratio and a 7650 redline. dumb i know.. but fun. truth be told i still shift at 7500 but the soft limiter starts after that so i dont loose any power to it.
i'm gonna do one more 3 tune to get a 13.2 af ratio. Fingers crossed for a lower 1/4 mile time. maybe with my new nitto tires i can scratch a 12.99..eh,,, ehh,,,,?

MUZIC

Yeah yeah.. i'm a long time musician so tunes are essential. but weight is a no no.
infinity rear speakers. well untill they get gutted.
touch screen jensen indash
and the bose speaker hole got filled with a alpine 10.
i'll post pics this weekend if i get around to the next part which is fiberglassing the cavity in the stock sub location for a solid sealed box.

recap

1. vlsd w an improvement from 3.5 to 3.692
2. bully dog programmer with whatever bs tune they provide.
3. some giftwrapped fujita intakes
4. 18x 10 inch rear xxr rims 18 x 8.5 fronts
5. beluga test pipes and y pipe.w. megan racing 3" exhaust
6. osiris etune.

thats where i am right now. BUT
i have another post i gotta write. and a closet full of stuff to change the attitude of the ol girl
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
humducker

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-heat-wrap-installed.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-intake-wrap.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-tires.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-test-pipe.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-10157366_10152797020690283_1199775190_n.jpg  

humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-20140330_125149_hdr-1-1-.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-20140118_215937-1-.jpg  

Last edited by humducker; 03-31-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM
humducker

Goals.
Honesty..
this will be a long build. in different stages.
but it will be a rapid prototype style where a low grade model of the components is made and used then replaced with revised show/race quality fabricated parts. I'm not tigging up hundreds of dollars of stainless just to learn i shoulda gone another way. or making molds for carbon that are useless after a revision. but I between my father and myself we have
a 300a lincoln tig and mig.
3d printer {interior pieces, mockup parts}
a small cnc mill {finish pieces and personalization}
and a little bit of knowlege

My father was a automotive and computer science teacher, then retired to full time aircraft fabrication and cnc machining.
i also worked in the custom aircraft fab area{not near long enough}, and am currently a wood/metal fabricator/repair for commercial doors.
yeah dad has the credentials. i'm 32 not 16 so i'm not completly talking out my ****.

On to the car
with the 53/47 weight distribution of the 350z I cant help but feel its so close to perfection, too close to leave alone. While the debate rages between 50/50 or a slight nose heavy, central shifting mass distribution. I cant help but want a couple lbs on the ***. especially if they have to be added anyway.

A rear mounted turbo sure couldnt hurt..eh?
I know .. ewe rear mount. but why not. 1rst gear has never been floored without ripping tires straight away. and with a boost rpm of 3500 that leaves 4000 rpm of boost.. also the slower hit will make for predictability.(hopefully right)
CURRENT PROJECT IS THE TURBO SYSTEM parts, pipes, turbo, tuning system, lines, bov, and wastegate are already at the house.

Rear mounted intercooler and independant oiling system.
I'm hoping an extended spare tire bay will hold an intercooler, oil cooler and ductwork for the turbo system.

Semi tube frame rear.
this will be a progressive development. the first stages of design will take into consideration all mounting points of the suspension. obviously thats how u make a ridgid platform. hopefully later integrating the mounts into a frame that will allow the removal and replacement of sheetmetal with aluminum and composites.

Suspension . eervywhere.
gotta grip.. corners are there. dont be the guy pussyfooting around em. yeah you might have gotten the miata in the straight but theres nothing more embarrasing then getting passed right back up.
tubular components will be used, off the shelf at first until/if better designs are made, then ill make jigs and make some. I will keep all jigs so in spare time parts can be made for fellow z cars.

Coilovers are a no brainer. although i have done zero research at the time to see what brands have rebuildable shimmable dampeners.

Bushings. an impregnated polyurathane kit will be installed. and solid bushings put in where weak spots arise.

Custom roll cage. a little style with saftey is always a plus.
and i just aquired some bride cuga seats which should hold occupants in..
yep plural. i plan on always keeping it street legal and having 2 seats.

The motor is said to be good for 500 to 520hp. for how long is anyones guess. the motor has 63000 miles on it so i hope for a year at least under boost. That said. when it goes. ls1 goes in. and then rear mounted turbos dont sound so stupid. no rework on the piping. just up the turbo size and call it a day. ok ok.. that part would never work out that easy, but in my head it does. and since we have a couple ls1 short blocks sitting around why not.

Ill finish up with the pics of cars and parts that have inspired this build. along with the cars we have all seen at races and shows that cameras missed.

Bear with me, eccentric posts and bad punctuation will riddle this build, and a two chapter introduction might bore a few people away, but the next post will come this weekend with actual pics of the car, parts, plans, work, and maybe some action shots from the track. I'm not a scholar of fluid dynamics or mechanical engineering, so this will be a working mans race car with emphasis on uniqueness and low budget(where applicable)
Attached Thumbnails humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-monstaka-2.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-a7.jpeg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-350z009.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-dscf7415.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-e8549376.jpg  

humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-sstp_1004_02_o-2003_nissan_350z-rear_view.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-ststurbo001.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-sts_350z-5-500x500.jpg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-a1.jpeg   humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-a8.jpeg  

Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Interesting. Sub'd...
Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I never understood why they're aren't more rear mounted turbo setups on Z's. It seems like the best setup to keep the balance. I read somewhere that it's because the time it takes to build boost? Overall I think theres more benefits like balance, the engine will be less crowded, less heat that can spread to destroying other parts.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
I never understood why they're aren't more rear mounted turbo setups on Z's. It seems like the best setup to keep the balance. I read somewhere that it's because the time it takes to build boost? Overall I think theres more benefits like balance, the engine will be less crowded, less heat that can spread to destroying other parts.
Appearance, fab cost, and I've heard gains are a little lower as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Sub'd for updates.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM
humducker

I agree the results are a little lower/slower. Also u have to deal with oiling issues and coolant. In perspective though, u can make more horsepower than a stock block can handle. So for me its gonna be just fine.
Jeeze man there was some camaro with 800 rwhp in a rear mount format.. I was like.......sold......

I also agree w the comment of better balance, engine bay crowding.etc.
What makes it really nice is being able to still drive the car while u fab. Unlike the standard manifold method where u have to really dig apart the ride.

hopefully this weekend ill be in my hometown and I can get some work done
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like you have some lofty goals

I hope you follow through

Good luck!

Sub'd for updates.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In here also.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
humducker

Lexan windows.

Plastics 4 performance emailed me back today. Turns out the rear quarter window is only big enough fora single naca duct with a 2" out hole. As I was going to use scoops or ducts on those quarters to cool the intercooler it looks like I may have to open the underside of the spare tire area to make an inlet. Im still getting the windows because. 1. You can never have enough naca ducts. 2. Because Racecar.
Either way I was going to have to measure the airflow and determine what size fans and such.
Attaching the picture he sent of the window installed on a vehicle
Attached Thumbnails humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost-853206_663573217034492_1473850309_o.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 AM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Sub'd
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM
humducker

Hey guys.
This thread is still alive. But on pause for a week as im still out of town working across texas.
good news is with the extra income I should be getting injectors, remote oil pump, and intercooler on payday.
With that in mind does anyone have experience with turboed vq35hq's? Im wondering whats up with the ebay injectors that aay they are rebuilt and flow benched matched for about 180$? Any good?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: humducker's 07 hr build from base to boost