Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

KushZEN's Dreamer (Nightmare rather) Vortech Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM
KushZEN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KushZEN's Dreamer (Nightmare rather) Vortech Build

Background: I purchased the car in October of 2011, my fourth car in a rather short amount of time since the previous one's were either wrecked or stolen. It was a 2004 Nissan 350z with 60k on the clock and almost stock with the exception of megan coilovers, Fujita intake, and Invidia exhaust. I then added a few minor mods, nothing drastic (shortshifter, wheels, etc.).

Here she is after the first time I met KingBaby, who helped me install my SPL camber arms.

Car lasted well for a year, until one day, the motor died of oil starvation. Turns out, the previous owner dented the oil pan and oil pick up tube, HOWEVER he only replaced the pan which hid the bad pick up tube thus leading to the lack of oil. The car has been sitting in this spot for the past two years. (Here you can see the aftermath of my ambitious removal of the engine harness)

In the mean time, I had been doing countless hours of reading, stripping parts off the car, saving money and buying parts when I could. Eventually leading up to my current stockpile of parts. I lucked out on a Vortech V3 kit from a fellow club member and things fell into place from there. I never had plans on going FI, I never intended this to be the crazy plan it is today. Everything snowballed and it went from a simple and clean daily driver to what I hope will be a show-stopping, track-ready/capable car. Notice how I said both, not one or the other.

With the plan going so far off track from what I had originally planned for, lots of blood, sweat, tears went into it to get it this far, and two girlfriends also parted after both had some crazy idea about how I cared about the car more than I cared about them (which... may have been true) In any case, more money to spend on the car!

Here are pictures of a few parts I've collected from my Instagram. (Shameless plug: @Boosted350Z) I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the pictures, some of which are quite terrible, but without further ado.

Over the past few months I've been working with Marty and several vendors in California who I purchased parts from, and had them hold for me til I would ship them all at once to save on shipping to Hawaii. Well, One day I had the idea of just saying ***** it, Let's just ship the whole car to you, and have your shop build it there. So off the car went on it's voyage from Hawaii to San Diego, from which it will be towed to LA and reside at Techno Square for her reincarnation.

So here we are today, about two years from when the motor took a dump, she finally moves (does getting flatbedded count as moving? )

And so the build finally begins...

Last edited by KushZEN; 03-08-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: title change
Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 PM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice collection of parts there. youre going to have a whole lot of fun when thats done.

I like the elimination of the radiator bypass, makes the engine much cleaner. I must ask though, why didnt you ditch the throttle coolant while you were at it?
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM
KushZEN

Originally Posted by phunk2
nice collection of parts there. youre going to have a whole lot of fun when thats done.

I like the elimination of the radiator bypass, makes the engine much cleaner. I must ask though, why didnt you ditch the throttle coolant while you were at it?
I didn't specify it at first and by the time I found out, it had already been finished, but I was told it wouldn't be too much of a difference, so we just kept it as is.

Also, new CJM v3 fuel rails

Removed the harness awhile back and sent it out to get it sleeved and what not.

Oh.. and this wasn't a very pretty sight to see

Last edited by KushZEN; 09-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:55 PM
phunk2

OH i know who you are now LOL. I have your old rails sitting right here I believe.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
phunk2

I am very anxious to find out if the v3 rails clear the Cosworth plenum at stock mounting height (48mm injectors), or if the spacer is required.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 PM
KushZEN

OH i know who you are now LOL. I have your old rails sitting right here I believe.
Hopefully someone buys them, they're still brand new

I am very anxious to find out if the v3 rails clear the Cosworth plenum at stock mounting height (48mm injectors), or if the spacer is required.
we'll find out. If anything, a spacer or cut/grind something.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 PM
NAbuilderZ33

I knew id find you on here, Danny! Cant wait to see her after its all said and done!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KushZEN
I didn't specify it at first and by the time I found out, it had already been finished, but I was told it wouldn't be too much of a difference, so we just kept it as is...
You can still bypass the throttle body. Just run a hose directly from that port on the driver's side pipe to the corresponding inlet on the pipe at the rear of the motor. Btw, nice build
Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 AM
LeonardiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see it finished!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 AM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Eliminating the oem oil cooler/warmer and thermostat bypass would make things easier on a f/I motor in stand still traffic, correct ?

Great build list btw... Goodluck
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 AM
str8dum1

it has no effect on the motor, in or out of traffic.

just cleans up the engine bay.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM
KushZEN

Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33
I knew id find you on here, Danny! Cant wait to see her after its all said and done!

Originally Posted by str8dum1
it has no effect on the motor, in or out of traffic.

just cleans up the engine bay.
Good to know. Thank you.

Little Update.. The car just landed in Cali yesterday, shop's gonna pick it up some time next week and then the build can get started
Old 10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
KushZEN

Car finally got to the shop safely. Now the fun begins!

Last edited by KushZEN; 01-28-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Another ppw vorteched z... I like it, lol what kind of power you shooting for? With the pistons pictured above, are you doing a built block? Maybe I missed it or something.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 PM
- bigc -

ah, so that's your Z. good luck with everything!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 PM
KushZEN

Originally Posted by meanz
Another ppw vorteched z... I like it, lol what kind of power you shooting for? With the pistons pictured above, are you doing a built block? Maybe I missed it or something.
Yup, built block. Im hoping for 500, but honestly, I'll be happy with mid 400s. I just want to drive the car after almost 2 years of it just sitting there.

Originally Posted by - bigc -
ah, so that's your Z. good luck with everything!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 AM
LeonardiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea what the shop is going to charge you for the build?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 AM
NAbuilderZ33

I didnt see anything pertaining to your exhaust setup if they were going to be changes to it (Headers, Longtubes etc..). I know you are running Invidia just wondering if you had any plans.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 PM
KushZEN

Originally Posted by LeonardiZ
Any idea what the shop is going to charge you for the build?
It all depends on which path I take, I literally left everything in their hands. I figure go big or go home since money isn't really an issue.

Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33
I didnt see anything pertaining to your exhaust setup if they were going to be changes to it (Headers, Longtubes etc..). I know you are running Invidia just wondering if you had any plans.
The Invidia will be gone, gonna get some headers, the motordyne ART pipes and y-pipe are staying on there though.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

The amount of awesome is too damn high!

Quick Reply: KushZEN's Dreamer (Nightmare rather) Vortech Build