Old 09-14-2016, 10:14 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks Alex really appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Ultra Racing out of malaysia still makes the rear brace. I got mine from a seller on ebay. Took almost 6 weeks to get it.
Appreciate the props on the engine bay! Gonna be attending to even more details soon since I will be tearing the engine back apart this week.
Do you guys feel a "Functional" difference with that brace or is it purely a "looks better" thing?

By the way rusty, read the whole thread, I wish I could be like you, like somebody said, you could eat dinner off that engine compartment.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
Do you guys feel a "Functional" difference with that brace or is it purely a "looks better" thing?

By the way rusty, read the whole thread, I wish I could be like you, like somebody said, you could eat dinner off that engine compartment.

I felt no difference, I replaced mine because it was a rusty mess and the stock piece was the same price as the ultra racing one. If your oem one is in good shape it wouldn't be good investment, if your oem one is completely fu˘ked i would say its deff better looking and worth it.
gringott (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM
rustyschopshop

Yeah no functional difference in the brace, there is a little more room for the exhaust but that is about it. I just didn't like the damage and appearance of the oem.
gringott (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Dallasmavs92

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah no functional difference in the brace, there is a little more room for the exhaust but that is about it. I just didn't like the damage and appearance of the oem.
Changing things under the car that no one really sees? That's dedication..
rustyschopshop (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 PM
rustyschopshop

I have plans for alot more of the unseen eventually. But for now trying to decide which direction I will go to repare the out of spec valve lash. May just buy a low milage vq for the time being to swap in and keep this engine to build or swap as a core toward a built long block later. Only time and finances will tell.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:05 AM
gringott

I get it - I've spent some time under my Z and the metal isn't looking good. If a structural part is failing, why not replace it with something cleaner and more durable than stock? I just wondered if it had any other effect is all. Can't normally see a lot of things that I replace. lol More room by the exhaust is a positive IMHO.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 PM
rustyschopshop

Started back into my tear down today, intake manifold and valve covers off. Used a boroscope to check upper cylinders. Founds that something small had been bouncing around the #1 cylinder. Found something brass looking sticking to the bottom of the head. Will be pulling the exhaut mani thursday to check the valve guide and get ready for more tear down. Also gonna try to pull the small object out. ATM funds are low so i am gonna try to go as inexpensive as i can. I would like to hold off on a built long block for at least another year. Depending on what I find thursday and friday will definitely set what direction I will go. Fingers are crossed. Worst case senario atm will be to drop in a used low mile engine from salvage. I really don't want to go this way. Yet if I need to I will.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:09 PM
rustyschopshop

Some very bad news.... last sunday I reinjured my back and am out of work. Car is gonna be on hold, as well as some of my smaller hobbies. Herniated 1 disc and have a 10mm tear in another. Currently awaiting an appointment with a surgeon to see what my options are. My wife an I are also debating wether to go through the VA or not. Don't really want to do it through the Va but not sure if we can afford to do it civilian side.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Sucks to hear, hope you have a speedy recovery... Im writing this while doing my back exercises on the yoga ball, I have some back issues also, it's no fun when your most important machine goes down.

I visit the chiropractor regularly now it seems to help, and I do pathetic yoga ball back exercises every day... (also hopefully help)

Anyway hope your back doing what you like to do soon, and good luck if you go through the VA... About 10 years ago I got a colonoscopy through them, my nurse was a retired marine and looked like grizzly Adams, and they drugged me up so much I missed 2 days of work (and I thought sticking a little camera up my a$$ was going to be the worst part)

Last time I hurt my back I was out for 3 weeks, I watched lots of pirate's of the Caribbean, transformers, and x men. O and lots of my350z researching...

Best of luck
Old 09-28-2016, 04:47 PM
rustyschopshop

I was lucky and had my endoscopy and colonoscopy 2 years ago... lol. Pun intended hahaha. It seems all I have left is my humor.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:46 PM
rustyschopshop

Just had an appointment with a surgeon, actually have 3 herniated disc, 2 of which have tears. He wants to recommend a spinal fusion but due to my age he knows it will lead to even more surgeries. Have another appt coming 28th of November with a VA spinal surgeon. More than likely will be getting a spinal steroid shot. We shall see.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Just had an appointment with a surgeon, actually have 3 herniated disc, 2 of which have tears. He wants to recommend a spinal fusion but due to my age he knows it will lead to even more surgeries. Have another appt coming 28th of November with a VA spinal surgeon. More than likely will be getting a spinal steroid shot. We shall see.
what level are they. my mom had L4-L5 herniation with stenosis.... they did the steroid shots and they only lasted a week for her. she ended up having laminectomy, rods and cage installed. no longer in pain, but has residual nerve damage and loss in range of motion
Old 10-31-2016, 05:49 PM
rustyschopshop

L3/L4/L5/S1. slashes indicate the discs. I have had nerve damage in my right leg since 1997 but getting worse now. Just trying to take things easy till we have a solution.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:52 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

L3/L4/L5/S1. slashes indicate the discs. I have had nerve damage in my right leg since 1997 but getting worse now. Just trying to take things easy till we have a solution.
Awww, jeez, Rusty, hoping for your speedy recovery!!

Had a back injury some years ago (yes, Z related... car versus red light running taxi cab...but could have been worse.... mighta been a speeding Uber driver without commercial insurance. ). I healed up relatively fast (well, at least relative to it being a back injury) and hoping for the same for you!
rustyschopshop (11-01-2016)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:38 AM
rustyschopshop

Sry for the last update but they ended up needing to due a fusion on my neck. I knew there was issues with neck but not to the extent that they found. Ended up with a c5-c7 fusion just shy of 2 months ago, still in a C-collar atm. If everything goes well collar should come off at my docs visit next week. Already have much of the strength back in my hands in arms although loosing strength from not being able to do anything. Even some of the issues I have had in my legs seem to be better.
As far as the car, ordered BDE engine mounts and Tomei headers. Received the mounts yesterday and headers should come tomorrow. Was hoping to get an engine ordered by now but looks like I won't be able to afford the IPP stage 2 long block I was wanting to get. Figured I would at least replace these pieces when I swap out the engine if I am going cheap. Found a Japanese import engine with 60k miles for just under 2k usd shipped that I may go with.
Hopefully more updates will come sooner than they have.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:42 AM
gringott

Glad you are in better health. I have had back problems, helicopter forced landing issue, finally unbearable, could have gone VA or Tricare [private doctors not Army hospital], still waiting for the VA to call me back [+10 years lol] but the private docs did an excellent job and I have had no side effects and things have gone well, although there is pain I have learned to deal with it without medications. I do not regret the surgery at all.

Best of luck with the build.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Had to google search looking for engine pictures to confirm a stud in the valve covers remains unused... Apparently you dont use any of your haha

Hows things?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM
rustyschopshop

Sorry i missed your post dboy... it is time for an update
Finally got another retro payment from the VA but they shorted me again so no engine yet but got a bunch of goods that i wanted to change anyway
inland empire aluminum foam filled driveshaft---- OE shaft joints were shot when i pulled it a few months ago
torque solutions trans mount
southbend stage 2 with quiet disc with aluminum flywheel
Cd00A tranny to replace the original old tired cd001

Still have from earlier in the year awaiting install when ready
Tomei v2 headers
BDE billet motor mounts

upgraded my tool box from a 26" craftsman to a 52" husky, been needing this upgrade for many years

Health update:
Neck is doing really well
Today i just got back from having my back surgery--- still very tender atm but very hopeful for the outcome.

Current plans on engine are to buy a jdm import with less than 60k miles at tax time since i don't think i will be able to afford the IPP stage 2 that i want. We shall see what comes in a few months.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 PM
rustyschopshop

Oh. also finally installed my ES subframe bushing a month ago after having for almost 3 years lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusty's Slow Build.