Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Rusty's Slow Build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:22 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Rusty's Slow Build.

Well joking with my boss at work i managed to get christmas week off. I was planning to do both front side body harnesses but decided to go a bit further.

I want to thank my350z and G35 forums for all the information that i used for this mod process. I still have a few more pics to take after i finish some detailing. There is a few more details i want to do before i really call this complete. Well enough of the talk and lets get the pics going.

before with some cleanup all ready done

a few process pics

After i do a few a little detailing today i will upload a few completion pics.
There are several more things that i want to do to clean this up alot mroe over the next couple months so this will turn into a progress thread. I hope you all enjoy this thread. I also hope you all had a very merry christmas as well.

Last edited by rustyschopshop; 02-17-2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: change title for progress thread
Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 AM
rustyschopshop

Default Engine Tuck and progress thread

After uploading the first batch of photos i realized my photographer (son) and i forgot to take some more pics of the wiring before reinstalling the intake manifold. So later on when i start shaping the intake manifold i will edit and upload more of the tuck process. For now at least i have the after pics of how it looks now after the tucking. I still have alot of minor changes i want to make in looming and ect.

Hope you enjoyed these pics, there are alot more to come. I had started shaving the upper and lower intake manifold but my electronic regulator on my aircompressor took a crap and wasn't able to finish my grinding. Also plan on doing alot of shaving on the upper timing cover. If you notice i did my wire tuck a quite a bit different then how most do it. I pulled most of the excess wire harness into the wiper cowl and loomed it there so that the back of the engine is not covered in wiring. The whole intention was to make sure that i could service the engine without alot clutter in the way. Eventually i am planning on doing my own rendition of the pathfinder mod. Also the SS upper hose side pipe is temporary. I had the pipe laying around from an old project that i had and used it to save money and speed up the build.. fab process to get my layout set. In the end it is all going to be in the details.

Last edited by rustyschopshop; 06-05-2015 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
superlim9 (07-17-2015)
Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

good and clean.

I may take your idea about using the wiper cowl area for the excess wiring since mine just sits behind the motor and clutters it up.

now...got to lose that dryer vent hose though!

you can see where i tucked mine....and why i like your idea better!

Name:  Up%20top.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  139.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (11-02-2016)
Old 12-27-2014, 04:34 PM
rustyschopshop

thanks, it does take quite a bit of work to get it all in there, i pulled strands and taped each stand doubled over under the cowl. Tuesday when i am off from work i am planning on taking the whole wiper cowl off so i can zip the lines to the hard power booster line so they don't rattle. While i am in there i will take a couple pics so you can see how i did the routing.
If you are not in a rush do redo your tuck. Hopefully within the month, i will be taking my intake mani back off so i can shave it. I will take some closer pics of my under hood wiring so you can get a better idea of how i was able to delete most of the underhood clutter.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

I have deleted my wipers and the hard line vaccum hose so there is nothing under my cowls so it should be easy. But yeah...there are a ton of wires to hide that I just wrapped and double backed behind the motor.

I still need to tuck the alternator wire as well.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:04 PM
rustyschopshop

i def love the cleaner look, I always say the devil is in the details, and now the details are barely ready to get started. There are so many small things rolling around my head that i want to transpose under the hood. Just need alot more time, a new aircompressor since i broke another reed valve, and a few $. The latter is always the case though lol
v
Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

...what's your plan for the holes?

Awesome work

In for more
Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 AM
rustyschopshop

I have a few thoughts on the holes; since i don't have access to a welder to install new fresh sheet metal, i have plans on cutting some acrylic and using some panel bond. After cured smooth out all the edges, a little light sanding then paint. Also planning on trimming the upper covers to give a even cleaner look.
Most of the small details are going to have to wait till i get a new air compressor. Just waiting on the Mrs. to let me pull the trigger on it. Just found my lower front control arm bushing blew out so i will be ordering some ES to fix it.

Thanks KingBaby
Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
RedLine_ZR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great!

Might be tucking my bay this coming Monday, having mixed feeling about it but think I might just tackle it..
Old 01-06-2015, 04:56 PM
rustyschopshop

thanks

take your time with it and it really isn't that hard. Have fun and enjoy
Old 01-20-2015, 03:47 PM
rustyschopshop

Finally got around to zip tying the wires under the wiper cowl today and a little more bay dress up. Here are the pics of the hidden wires and some more progress pics.

Decided to do a little painting and slight mod to change some bolts on the timing cover.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
rustyschopshop

If everything goes as planned the next part is going to be shaving the loom grommets at the battery and brake boxes. 2nd part that i am planning after that is complete is relocating the windsheild washer and coolant reservoirs. The relocation idea i got off of one of GTM's FI kits. Planning on running a smaller washer bottle and deleting the 2nd pump since i have already deleted the rear wiper.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM
rustyschopshop

Time for a small update. I haven't been able to get as much done as I had been hoping for since my wife has tightened up the purse strings. Lmao. Unfortunately my water pump started leaking so I decided to get another part of my coolant tuck completed.
Two days ago i modded the heater return pipe, enjoy.

Tomorrow i need to take a few pics of my thermostat housing that i touched up a little and started changing some fasteners on my driver side valve cover. Stay tuned more to come
Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 PM
rustyschopshop

Oh and sorry everyone still have not updated the date on my camera. I better do that now before i take tomorrows pics hahaha
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How'd you know the water pump was leaking?

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Time for a small update. I haven't been able to get as much done as I had been hoping for since my wife has tightened up the purse strings. Lmao. Unfortunately my water pump started leaking so I decided to get another part of my coolant tuck completed.
:
Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
rustyschopshop

Weep hole for the water pump is just above the a/c compressor. Started noticing a damp spot with green gel on the bottom of the compressor. Then just over 1 week ago started getting a small wet spot in the driveway.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:31 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Can someone do me a bug favour and point out the 2 brake vacuum lines ?
(I know the main one going to the upper plenum intake but trying to see where the other is!)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM
woody03

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sub'd
Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM
rustyschopshop

The 2nd booster line is at the brake power booster. There is a hard line that connects the 2 booster rubber lines. If you open your brake fluid cover you will see it.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:29 PM
rustyschopshop

Finally took the pics that i meant to take 2 days ago. Devil is in the details and i have much more details to go... phewww!! lmao

Quick Reply: Rusty's Slow Build.