Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Ye Olde Wheel Shop [?]

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Ye Olde Wheel Shop [?]

Apparently I'm not as good of a driver as I imagine myself to be and seriously curbed the same wheel twice. Sorry no pics but I did some pretty bad damage to a new set of 19" Axis Shines.
I've looked up Ye Olde Wheel Shop to get a feel for them and some of the reviews were....less than favorable [i.e. getting cursed out over the phone when asking for price quotes].

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with them in the past and cared to share your experiences.

Kthxbai!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LMAO-nobody there other than 1 person under certain circumstances would do that.

They do good work, Ive used them for years, and many people from this community have as well. They are usually a little backed up so dont expect a 3 day turnaround.

Go and see Dan, tell em you know me so he cleans your wheels with paint stripper
Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
[i.e. getting cursed out over the phone when asking for price quotes].
It's run by Asians, what do you expect? Asians have the WORST customer service on the planet... but you know what that means... they have the BEST craftsmanship you'll ever find. If you get cursed out over the phone = your rims will look better than when they did from the factory.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by abui01
It's run by Asians, what do you expect? Asians have the WORST customer service on the planet... but you know what that means... they have the BEST craftsmanship you'll ever find. If you get cursed out over the phone = your rims will look better than when they did from the factory.
Oh I doubt it Abu-san. It felt [and looks] like I took out a chunk of a concrete barrier while exiting a parking garage. If they can at least smooth them out I'd be happy. Right now my wheel looks like fresh poo...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
abui01

LOL, i can help u out. Bring ur car by sometime and we'll take a look. How deep/long is the scratch?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
davidmcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, i can help u out. Bring ur car by sometime and we'll take a look. How deep/long is the scratch?
Que the gay asian **** music...

...Bow-chick-a-wa-wa
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM
WYZIWYG

Hey, if i make it up to the Bikini Wash you can check the damage then.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
shocka04

Heard nothing but good things about them. That review wasnt from me but I had a similar experience. I called for a price quote and the guy was being an ***. I would still prob go there whenever I feel like getting my wheels fixed though
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
abui01

Hey, if i make it up to the Bikini Wash you can check the damage then.
Probably won't make it, have my little neice's b-day party to go to.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on how deep it is, if it was me I'd just call axis up and tell them the story, say you just bought them and curbed the F outta 1. Ask if they can sell you a single wheel and what kind of price they can offer you.

There's a wheel shop in Annapolis that did a really good job on one of my Axis wheels YEARS ago, cost me 80 or 120 bucks. I can't remember but I know it was 1 of those 2 #s If the wheel isn't too bad they can just turn it and remove enough material so it looks brand new, however if its too deep, they'll have to fill it with something and that means 1 of 2 things.

1. cost goes up a good bit on the repair.
2. It might never look 100% correct. If you can get a new wheel for 400.... If it was me, I'd go that way

Of course with out having a wheel guy look at it, you'll never know.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
rkemp1

Clay definitely take it by and have Dan look at it for you. They can set much more realistic expectations with you that way.They did my wheels for me and I have had good experiences each time. The painter(I cannot recall his name) took me on a tour through the shop to look at different finishes and educated me more than I ever expected regarding different wheel finishes, paint types, pros and cons and all that Jazz. They let me set an appointment so I had very quick turnaround time and the outcome is one of the best wheel paint finishes that I have seen on a Z. I highly recommend them and would use them again.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 AM
MDHRZ

Called Ye Ole Wheel Shop yesterday and the guy that answered the phone sounded like he just woke up. He asked me to bring them by over the weekend so he could look at them. Pretty sure their hours are 9 AM to 1 PM on Sat.

I still need to call you lol. I might today depending on what time I leave the office. Got any before/after pics of your work?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

9-1 on Saturday, I will prolly be there at 1 with the Z

Russ-that guy was prolly John...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 AM
WYZIWYG

I work weekends so I def won't make it this Saturday. But I will drive down there this weekend just so I know where they're located.
Would it be easier for me to just take the tire/wheel off and bring that [since it's just the one wheel] or does it even matter?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 AM
MDHRZ

Would it be easier for me to just take the tire/wheel off and bring that [since it's just the one wheel] or does it even matter?
I think that would be easier. That's what I plan on doing. Have a stock wheel and a Volk to get repaired
Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

If the wheel is off the car he can check and see if its bent rather quickly.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Apparently I'm not as good of a driver as I imagine myself to be and seriously curbed the same wheel twice. Sorry no pics but I did some pretty bad damage to a new set of 19" Axis Shines.
I've looked up Ye Olde Wheel Shop to get a feel for them and some of the reviews were....less than favorable [i.e. getting cursed out over the phone when asking for price quotes].

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with them in the past and cared to share your experiences.

Kthxbai!
Is it just curb rash or you actually have bent the wheel? I can fix curb rash for you if it's not too deep.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
If the wheel is off the car he can check and see if its bent rather quickly.
^What's the normal turn around time for minor curb rash?

Last edited by MDHRZ; 06-12-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by bb1314
Is it just curb rash or you actually have bent the wheel? I can fix curb rash for you if it's not too deep.
It's not a bend [I hope] but it's definitely damaged the outer lip of the wheel. Imagine how smooth your wheels are and then picture something like a broken block of cheese on it [yeah I know, but it's the best example my sleep deprived brain could formulate].
Attached Thumbnails Ye Olde Wheel Shop [?]-how-to-serve-cheese-2-ghv-325-78366493.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 AM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by Alberto
9-1 on Saturday, I will prolly be there at 1 with the Z

Russ-that guy was prolly John...
Yup thats him. I could not remember his name to save my life. But he is the man and he knows his chit.

Quick Reply: Ye Olde Wheel Shop [?]