Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Quite Possibly the WORST Bent / Cracked Wheel Repair Shop in Maryland

Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 AM
hrmiracle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Quite Possibly the WORST Bent / Cracked Wheel Repair Shop in Maryland

TL;DR: NEVER USE THIS COMPANY:

IBentMyWheel.com / I Bent My Wheel LLC
708 Cady Dr, Fort Washington, MD 20744
(301) 248-3477

I usually don't run around the internets carrying pitchforks and torches, but god - this time I must make an exception. Nearing THREE years ago I experienced a bent wheel on my 350Z's aftermarket Axis 5 A : D 21'' concave wheels (while their craftsmanship was questionable, they did look quite nice on the Z).

I had few options needing my vehicle for a work engagement the following day, I found IBentMyWheel.com - a Maryland based wheel repair shop - was opened on Sunday and after a quick call, found that they'd be willing to perform "operation" on my bent wheel. Things when from bad to worse. I'll let my yelp review tell that story:

"Probably the worst experience I've ever had... ever... ever ever.

From the shoddy service literally done IN THE PARKING LOT in front of their 1 bay unit store front, to having to return twice for repairs... to telling the employees I wasn't interested in dating them... to finally giving up on this company and their "warranty" and requesting my money back... I can't say enough, "RUN... Run, faaaar away."

It started with a pretty bad bend in my front right wheel caused by a pot hole. After a quick Google search on a Sunday afternoon, I headed out to Fort Washington, Maryland. We arrived shortly before close when the very respectful employees said they could fix it in a half hour. The red flag should have been waving, but I went ahead and paid $250 for the repairs and went on my way.

The next morning, I woke up to a flat tire - mind you, I had started with a bend, and now I had a flat to deal with. I headed back out to I Bent My Wheel to get their warranty to cover the bend a second time. This time, by myself, one employee actually asked for my number should "My boyfriend not keep me happy." I can't even make this stuff up.

I got the wheel fixed and drove home yet again... only to find the tire completely flat the next day! After being harassed by the employees and finding that their work obviously did not hold up, I went to another company in Baltimore, MD, known for their great work. Driving up on a half-sized spare, the Baltimore based company put the wheel on a balancing machine. Their diagnosis was that I Bent My Wheel LLC had actually damaged the wheel further and that they had "just fixed it enough for me to get home... twice."

After I got the wheel fixed a third time, I contact the owner of I Bent My Wheel requesting a refund on their shoddy work... I didn't even bother trying to get them to cover the $150 I spent re-fixing the wheel (yes, the second company also charged me $100 LESS than IBentMyWheel.com). He seemed to comply asking me for my address... only to find a very curt email a few days later saying he retracted what he had said and would not be paying me any refund because I hadn't given them a chance to fix the wheel ... a THIRD time.

Don't bother with this place. Convenience is no substitute for good work and good service. IBentMyWheel.com is NOT recommended
Blah blah - it was a horrendous experience, but I've had a balmy 3 years to put it behind me. I've since sold the car and forgotten about this nightmare shop... that is, until today.

Now Yelpers can offer "compliments" to other Yelpers who may have helped or hinder them when it comes to centers of commerce. I received a Yelp compliment this morning regarding my review of the Maryland Wheel Repair place.

Let me quote myself again...

Almost nearing 3 years and I thought I'd put the fiasco that is IBentMyWheel.com behind me... that is, until this morning when I received a Yelp compliment.

"Oh goody!" I thought as I eagerly logged into my Yelp account to see which online Yelper had benefited from my due diligence as a paying customer. "Ah yes - a compliment for my review on I Bent My Wheel... glad I could help a fellow weary traveler..." I opened the account to see a Yelp compliment boasting of a single word... a word that would make most women slap the mouth that uttered it.

The C-word.

Now - what would instigate a retort of such magnitude?! Had I not invested not only my time in writing the review but also my money wasted at such establishment? Had I not fallen on my own sword to spread the truth about this dastardly wheel repair shop in Maryland?! Why had Arlando T. - the name of the account owner - a fellow Yelp user - taken such harsh verbal action against me? Further research was necessary.

I quickly pulled up the website for I Bent My Wheel LLC (ibentmywheel.com/details…) and notice that the owner, Arlando, requested that potential clients contact him directly. Arlando. Arlando? Surely this couldn't possibly be the same "Arlando" that had written the obscenity I found lurking in my Yelp compliment box. Could it? I must go deeper.

I pulled up the Who-Is listing for ibentmywheel.com. For the IT illiterate, this would detail the information behind the website's registrar. The website's owner in laymen's terms. To my disdain, the listing belonged to none other than an Arlando T. (I'll withhold the last name per Yelp guidelines - but feel free to look it up yourself).

Now it doesn't take Mr. Holmes to deduce that the Arlando who had taken my money more than 3 years ago leaving me with not one, but two flat tires. The same Arlando who failed to honor his "money back guarantee." The same Arlando who had written a false review about his own business (5 stars mind you). The Arlando who requested that clients contact him directly on his website. That all these Arlando's happened to be the same unfortunate gentleman who, rather than provide a good service to his clientele, would resort to childish name calling using a not-so-childish word.

So this updated review will conclude my interactions with the bent wheel repair shop in Maryland.

Best of luck, Mr. Arlando T. I can only hope that my wasted $250 hard earned American dollars at your Maryland Wheel Repair shop has been paid forward in stopping would-be-ripped-off-clients from gracing your nightmare establishment. I wish you the best and I hope that one day, you can learn to abide by your word, to honor your promises, and to help those in need willing to pay you their hard earned dollars.

I rest my case. When it comes to wheel repair, I've made my rounds. My best recommendation has come to be Ye Olde Wheel Repair. They're the ones that fixed the mess created by those jokers. Their info is:

Ye Olde Wheel Shop
6363 Washington Blvd, Elkridge, MD 21075
(410) 796-8400
Old 12-02-2014, 10:02 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Best story I've read in a while. I applaud you for remaining on higher ground with your reviews and responses as I would have handled it the same way. Social media is more important than some small business owners realize. Owning a business in a military town, my wife and I realize that reviews on the internet will determine if a newly stationed service member and/or family will choose our business over the competition thus customer service and satisfaction remain one of our top priorities.

FWIW, I'm in NC and even I have heard of the Ye Olde Wheel Shop. It seems there is a reason they have the reputation they do.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

This is awesome!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM
hrmiracle

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Best story I've read in a while. I applaud you for remaining on higher ground with your reviews and responses as I would have handled it the same way. Social media is more important than some small business owners realize. Owning a business in a military town, my wife and I realize that reviews on the internet will determine if a newly stationed service member and/or family will choose our business over the competition thus customer service and satisfaction remain one of our top priorities.

FWIW, I'm in NC and even I have heard of the Ye Olde Wheel Shop. It seems there is a reason they have the reputation they do.
Originally Posted by Syner
This is awesome!
AdvanZ33 - I wish more businesses would realize this!! It's too easy to be good to not be good!

And thanks Syner - Alberta, eh? Makes my weather not feel so cold
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Syner

-25C yesterday
-8C today

I can't get a handle when it fluctuates so much!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for this account Heather. It certainty highlights the fact that shoddy, incompetent, businesses are generally inept at providing capable results no matter how many attempts they take or how patient you are with them. As you discovered, at some point you must seek resolution elsewhere.

Using a credit card does give you an extra avenue of recourse to simply asking the merchant to honor a ‘money back guarantee’. Your bank will help you with filling out a simple form stating your dispute and will submit it to the CC company. Both Visa and Mastercard do an excellent job of championing your interests, and after a prompt investigation will do a charge-back and return the funds to you.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
nextcore

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow.. this is appalling. I hope thier yelp account gets banned or something.
Looks like the Arlando took down his own yelp review too LOL
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM
C5_vette

What a joke of a shop... feel bad for anyone that goes there, the fact that the guy was reviewing how own place says it all....

Ye Ole wheel shop is definitely the place to go.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ye olde wheel shop fixed two of my bent wheels and has done tire changes on two different cars of ours.

Only shop around here I'd use.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You suck at Google if you didnt go to YOWS right off the bat.

Never trust the guys who work out of their vans or shady places.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by Alberto

Stop slandering my business model.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Lol @ website "call us to obtain warranty/refund information" or whatever.

Did they just take a sledge to it in the parking lot? (i've done it before on aluminum wheels and had better success that whatever they did to your wheel)
Old 12-24-2014, 10:20 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Kudos to you!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 AM
hrmiracle

Originally Posted by Alberto

< is apparently bad at the Goog

Originally Posted by Syner
Stop slandering my business model.

Oh hai. Free candy? Do you fix wheels?! Cuz I have this bend...

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Lol @ website "call us to obtain warranty/refund information" or whatever.

Did they just take a sledge to it in the parking lot? (i've done it before on aluminum wheels and had better success that whatever they did to your wheel)
Ha - sadly, yes, they did take a hammer to it. Ye Olde said they just ****ed it up a **** ton.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by hrmiracle
Oh hai. Free candy? Do you fix wheels?! Cuz I have this bend...
How do my wheels look? I can do the same for you. #JunkyardSpecial