Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 03:38 PM
mcclaskz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

I am planning on doing some autocross events and track days around the SE. Looking at helmets I am tempted by G-Force helmets. They have a few Snell SA2000 rated full face helmets that are quite reasonable. In particular I am looking at the GF800 model ($129) and GF Force 1($169). What do you experience folk think? I would rather not spend 300 on a Simpson/Bell/Bieffe if I will use it 5-10 times a year.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:45 PM
zPilott

I am in the same boat as you, and would be interested in input as well. I was going to borrow my friends Bieffe helmet for my upcoming track days (in case I coudn't find one), but his head is too damn small
Old 12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
commasense

Default How much is your head worth?

Guys,

If you are lucky you will never need a helmet at all.

BUT!!! When your luck runs out and your helmet is the only thing between your brains and the asphalt, will you think saving a hundred bucks was a such a great idea?

Safety equipment is the best investment you can make it, and getting the best is always a good buy. Even if you never need it, the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:02 PM
negcamber

Commasense's advice is good common sense.

If you still want to save money, here is my $.02:

The Z is not a roadster or a motorcycle. Your chances of dragging your face on the asphalt is not that great. If the helmet has a Snell rating, it has been tested to keep your noggen safe. That is true for the $99 helmets and the $500 ones. (BTW, Snell has a great website that talks about its testing proceedure). Get a good SA2000 rated helmet that you are comfortable wearing, either open or full face. You do have an airbag so a full face helmet is not a must have item (but see Commasense's advice again).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:27 AM
mcclaskz

If they are all SA2000 approved, what's the difference? I assume cooling and materials. Some are kevlar, some more flame retardant. What my question is, is the Bell/Bieffe/Simpson $300 full face helmet directly comparable safety wise to the same rated full face G-Force helmet? Generic helmet vs. Name Brand?
Old 12-06-2002, 05:23 AM
negcamber

Originally posted by mcclaskz
If they are all SA2000 approved, what's the difference? I assume cooling and materials. Some are kevlar, some more flame retardant. What my question is, is the Bell/Bieffe/Simpson $300 full face helmet directly comparable safety wise to the same rated full face G-Force helmet? Generic helmet vs. Name Brand?
The weight and ventilation are two aspects that can differentiate the helmets. The Snell rating assures you that the helmet meets the minimum standards set by the Snell Foundation. Unfortunately, they do not grade helmets the way the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety grades car safety. For Snell, it either passes or it doesn't. Is it possible that the Name Brand helmet will be safer?? Sure, but I'm not aware of an objective body out there testing motorsport helmets, so how can you tell? You could ask around, but anecdotes from helmet wearers are not exactly objective.

Would I have an issue wearing any Snell certified helmet? No, so long as it fit properly and was comfortable and was appropriate for the sport in which was participating.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:46 AM
Afty

I have the GF800 helmet. It's a nice, simple design. I like it.