Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Nurburgring Lap Time for Z?

Old 12-20-2002, 12:19 PM
wileecoyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nurburgring Lap Time for Z?

I'm putting a couple of posts on here. I've been reading them for awhile just to try and learn more but haven't seen anyone mention a time for the 350z (hopefully a track model) on the big North Loop of the Nurburgring.

I'd like to see what a very good driver is capable of in this car on that track. I know Nissan must have some times set there b/c they were famous for flogging around the Skyline GTR there to develop it, and I'd like to think they did the same with the Z.

Best Motoriing had a fantastic video of one of the Japanese testers hurling an S2000 around the track, hopefully we can get a hold of the same thing in a new Z.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:43 AM
DavidMa

'Sports Auto' magazine recently did a 350Z Track track-test and returned 8:26 around Nurburgring. The driver if an N'ring pro and for reference value here are some lap times he managed from other cars (on different days):
- 911 C2 (996) = 8:17
- Vette C5 = 8:18
- e46 M3 = 8:22
- EVO VII = 8:25
- BMW Z4 3.0 = 8:32
- Porsche Boxster 2.7L = 8:36
Old 10-26-2003, 06:41 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be difficult to compare times unless multiple laps were run under similar conditions and by the same driver.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:00 PM
DavidMa

It's going to be difficult to compare times unless multiple laps were run under similar conditions and by the same driver.

It is same driver - Horst Von Surma. He has done 1000s of laps at N'ring. Also the coditions are always dry/good when they do the lap-times .... they list the track and air temperature as well as humidity for each test. And they do run more than one 'flying lap' to get the best out of the car.

I'm sure that there is some variations from driving on diffeent days, but H.V.Surma is very consistent (ie. he's a pro) .... I'd pressume that there is a couple seconds per lap variation but the times you see are pretty close to the 'optimal' time that is possible to get .... some of the cars have benn tested (ie. tracked) multiple times on multiple occasions. 350Z is not one of them as this is the very 1st test.

Last edited by DavidMa; 10-26-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:15 PM
wileecoyte

Wow, thanks for the info. I put that post there so long ago, when I went in this forum and I saw a heading for Nurburgring lap time I thought, "Yeah I want to know that too." Then I looked and realized I wrote it, ha ha. So thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

That time is pretty good. It's not earth shattering but shows that this is a pretty competent car. With some minor bolt on upgrades and Nismo suspension I'd imagine it'd be quite fast.

I've never read Sport Auto but I've read a lot of info about cars and laptimes at the 'Ring and I always see Van Saurma's name with all kinds of cars and very fast laptimes so the guy can really wring out cars. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a better person to provide an objective laptime comparison.

Thanks again for the info. Was that report available on the web anywhere or just in print in the magazine?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:57 PM
myinfinitig20

haha interesting lets divide this by price...

- 911 C2 (996) = 8:17--- ---------80k
- Vette C5 = 8:18-------------------55k
- e46 M3 = 8:22--------------------55k
- EVO VII = 8:25--------------------30k
- BMW Z4 3.0 = 8:32---------------40k
- Porsche Boxster 2.7L = 8:36-----50k
-Nissan 350z = 8:26----------------30k

and we have CRAP tires stock...haha imagine with some nice so3 or yokos

what did the sti run by the way?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:51 AM
DavidM

...what did the sti run by the way?

I'm sorry to say, but they have not run the STi yet :-(
Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 AM
wileecoyte

Yeah I haven't seen one for that either. This website has a lot of times. Keep in mind most are by different drivers and different days so they aren't as accurate a comparison as what DavidM put in here from sport auto. Just to give you an idea. Also note when comparing times that the track has changed a little over the years so the track length is listed for that laptime.

http://www.nordschleife.no/

A few subarus in there. I would imagine it would run somewhere aruond where the EVOIII did, those 2 are pretty similar. ALthough from what I've seen the Evos are generally quicker on circuits. Evos are real animals, I'm actually a little surprised the Z ran so close to it.