Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

my Z vs. Eclipse - "Kill" story - literally

Old 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
N74DV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Z vs. Eclipse - "Kill" story - literally

I'm here in Las Vegas for a convention this weekend. I decided to drive instead of fly this time. Glad I did. Some great driving areas out here in the desert.

anyway..... Last night after cruising the strip I head back to the hotel which is about 6 miles south of the Luxor. As I pull up to an intersection I notice a white late 90's Eclipse pull up next to me. I peek into his cockpit and see he has the typical rice equipment. Tach mounted on the window pillar, glow guages, etc. I also notice has has a turbo boost controller display mounted on the dash. I start wondering if maybe he might be a good race.

I deactivate TCS and figure I'll shoot a race with the guy. Light turns green and I launch. Within 2 seconds I've left the Eclipse behind. I was amazed at how hard I pulled on him.

I'm on it hard and at about 80mph I start to see the distance between him and I getting smaller not larger. I'm thinking "damn!" I guess his turbo kicked in. At about 110 I he's coming up and I decide I've done a bit over a 1/4 mile so I back off. About a second later he get's right next to me and "WHAM!" he instantly slows down. I look in the rear view to see his Eclipse POURING out white smoke. I'm not talking small amounts of smoke ..... I'm talking MASSIVE, thick "007 James Bond" style smokescreen smoke. He's pretty much just coasting along at about 20 mph now.... He pulls into a gas station after that.

This dude blew his motor!! Racing a Z! HA!

I'm guessing he pulled up next to the Z and figured he better dial in some boost to even the odds. Maybe he over boosted and blew his engine? I dunno but it was funny as hell! I do feel a little bad but hey..... if you run with a Z you better be prepared to deal with the consequences huh?!

so... that's my "Kill" story
Old 04-07-2003, 06:03 PM
350zSpeedRacer

You know this doesn't belong in General.

Thread moved.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:29 PM
NissaNZ

It's a garbage mitsubishi what do you expect? They spend more time in the shop than on the road.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Inova

LOL thats insane!! what a loser, blew his motor for a silly street race. good KILL
Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 PM
DrDrilZ

due didnt you watch "the fast and the furious"? i guess they all do that. you didnt see his floor panel fly off did you?
Old 04-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Aloharacing

What hotel were you staying at?

I probably would have followed him to see what happened...maybe rub it in a little.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 PM
eskimo

If he had done anything under the hood he should've taken you easily. Those cars can run 12's for under $1000 in mods.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:35 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by eskimo
If he had done anything under the hood he should've taken you easily. Those cars can run 12's for under $1000 in mods.
Yeah, they run for about 12 days and then cost another $1000 in repairs too.

Seen so many of those breakdown... blow gaskets, etc.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:05 AM
eskimo

13's I meant 13's sorry , I have no idea how reliable they are.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 AM
mytalon

tons of white smoke was most likely his turbo blew. Happened to my friends car last month.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Caswell

Keep thinking that well-prepped DSM's are trash. Eventually you'll run into one that will teach you otherwise.

DSM's are not grenades when put together right. Their tranny's have a reputation for being made out of glass, but the rest of the car is pretty stout.

Any car is junk when it's beat on by some no-nothing ricer. Wait until the first turbo kits come out for the 350Z. With 10:1 static compression, internals not built to handle boost, and a fool with an aftermarket boost controller there WILL be VQ's with holes punched through the pistons.

I'd say good race, but it sounded like you just took off on the guy without letting him know what's up and he broke reeling you back in.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:41 AM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had a run in with a Eclipse GST 95-?(had the fat exhaust, body kit,maybe intake)loud as hell. At a stoplight he was right behind me. Light turned green stayed right on my rear bumper up to around 60 then I started to pull away. Shut it down at 75. I'm not sure what kind of mods he did on the car.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Zmeflyby

when i left the gas station the other day, i saw a stock blk gsx trying to race me..
i giggled and drove off normally.
i mean this guy was driving like an ***.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:21 PM
N74DV

Originally posted by Caswell
I'd say good race, but it sounded like you just took off on the guy without letting him know what's up and he broke reeling you back in.
no... this guy knew we were going to hit it. maybe he just f'ed up his launch.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Caswell

Well, nice job then. He must've messed up his launch bad, or just been a plain idiot. AWD owns us RWD guys off the line.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Fall-Line

Default Dont hate..

Don't overgeneralize about the reliability of the Mitsubishi make..

They created the Evo and the 4G63.

My fiance owns a 1998 Spyder (1.705, 12.018 @ 112.95 ) that has a pillar of reliability since she purchased it. (True, it has had about 15,000 $ of aftermarket work done on it..) It has been a great foundation for what has been a very rewarding import project.

Its unfortunate that the make has been the platform for some rather "unsusual" experiments by would-be import car enthusiasts.

Dont hate.

Fall-Line
Old 04-09-2003, 12:16 PM
wileecoyte

I have a stock 97 GSX and I waxed a guy in a 350z not long after they came out. It was the first one I'd seen and so I decided to race him just to see\hear how fast the car was. Actually because of that encounter is what made me temporarily change my mind about getting a Z.

The first time from a light I didn't rev it up and use the AWD and he pulled on me, but very slowly. I was surprised, expected to get really killed b/c he was full on. Next light I wasn't so nice, only revved it up to like 4000 and gave a quick clutch let out. I jump way out, he's on it b/c I could hear him spin a little off the start. I had him up to 100 then let off. He then zoomed by from his several car lengths back.

My car has all of a K&N filter right now. If the Z was well driven he should've still beaten me, but not by an awful lot. Still the AWD launch is fool-proof. No one can even come close off the line, you always get a nice jump.

Problem with the stock car is the turbo is woefully small. So now the GSX is headed for a minor turbo upgrade, intake, exhuast, etc... should be running mid 13's at the very least.

Also my car has been very reliable, I pound out tons of miles on that poor thing and I have yet to have any real issues. I'm at 125,000 and it still pulls very hard on original turbo.

Will probably be getting a Z soon once more mods are availalble and tested. Had one one that I could've ordered in Nov but decided to wait. Mitsu will stay as daily driver and Z for nice days.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:53 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by wileecoyte
I have a stock 97 GSX and I waxed a guy in a 350z not long after they came out.
I'm not hating on the DSM's ... I actually love the potential for power and aggressive stylings of the previous generation eclipse (this new one is fugly)

The Z in question must have been a really poor driver. I ran against my buddy's (very skilled driver) GSX w/CAI multiple times from a roll and also from a stop and while he'd get a impressive jump off the line, my 2nd and 3rd gear would pull, pass, and keep him behind me. With a bigger turbo and some simple mods, it'll be a beast.

Aren't they rated around 210hp stock? The best 0-6 and 1/4 times i've heard of and seen are 6 seconds and 14.9@95. While the Z runs an average of 5.2 and 13.9.

Again i'm talking stock for stock. Any turbo setup can easily be tuned to some great power output for relatively low $.

I'm not arguing the validity of what you said, i'm just stating my experience.

Last edited by zxsaint; 04-09-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
wileecoyte

Yup, I agree. Had he been good I'd have lost. There's no way a stock GSX could keep up with a well driven Z in the 1/4. I have the advantage though that it's hard to mess up unless I miss a shift, where's with RWD you got more going on and easier to spin wheels. So it's easier to run about the same time all the time.

And yeah it's 210hp stock. Pretty lousy, plus the stock blow off valve sucks and tends to bleed off boost too early. Running cars from a roll definitely isn't it's thing. The power drops off at high revs b/c the stock turbo is so small it just can't keep up with the air flow. Also 1st and 2nd are good, but 3rd isn't geared well, very long.

It's time for an upgrade though, I'm tired of taking a beating from Z28's and the like. I can't take it anymore. Car will stay stock looking. Speed definitely will not. Also would like to have the front mount intercooler dipped in this stuff that supposedly helps with efficiency but will make it black and hard to see. he he he

I'm getting excited about the Z though. I liked it from the start but not enough oomph. SC is looking mighty nice, I already have a turbo car. Having a hard time deciding between Z and G35C. I'm leaning towards the Z though.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Caswell

Man, I love DSM's. I really, really want a first-gen TSi for a winter car - no more slowpoke Blazer 4 months out of the year!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my Z vs. Eclipse - "Kill" story - literally