Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z's at ViR (road course in VA) **Video inside**

Old 04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car Guys is holding an event on a Monday and Tuesday at The Glen, July 7-8. I'll be up there with at least two friends as of now. While Car Guys is more expensive, they give you more track time (3 sessions per day that are at least 30-40+ minutes long), and there's less cars (therefore less traffic).
Old 04-17-2003, 04:03 AM
mcclaskz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to note, that is the same format that we had with THSCC/TZC and it was $235. There were 4 run groups, and approx. 20 cars in each. We had 3 runs each day. Another group I just spoke with is Tracquest. They go to the big tracks, like Road Atlanta. Their fee is $500 per weekend, but I was told there is a minimum of 6 hours over the weekend total. You would have to bring extra tires and brakes for that amount of time.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Eric1h

Heres Some of my pics(that dave sent me) Video is still in the works

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/mi...20South%202003

heres one of my favorites

Old 04-17-2003, 07:24 AM
John

Just to note, that is the same format that we had with THSCC/TZC and it was $235. There were 4 run groups, and approx. 20 cars in each. We had 3 runs each day. Another group I just spoke with is Tracquest. They go to the big tracks, like Road Atlanta. Their fee is $500 per weekend, but I was told there is a minimum of 6 hours over the weekend total. You would have to bring extra tires and brakes for that amount of time.
6 hours is A LOT of track time, in fact, I think almost too much for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience. For one, 6 hours requires a lot of physical and mental energy. When you get tired, you don't learn as much, and you don't have enough downtime to absorb what you've learned and how you can improve. That's just my opinion though.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default VIR

Adrenalin: Produced by the body in massive quantities when stressed or excited. Getting a thumbs up from a pit steward while pointing a 350Z at an open track guarantees the maximum effect. Wow.

Sell my clothes I'm goin' to heaven!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Landbarger

Man, I only live 1 1/2 from Danville. Next time anyone is at VIR post it. God, that would have been great. Anyway, vids were awesome! Good job guys, way to represent the community.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Landbarger

Oh yeah, and post info on the longer vid whenever it gets done. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:27 PM
bhobson333

Default vid

working on vid now. Will post soon. Looking good!
Old 04-18-2003, 04:49 AM
John

Got any good movies from the uphill esses?
Old 04-18-2003, 07:29 AM
bhobson333

I expect to post links to at least one single-lap video tonight. Too bad I had to work today!
Old 04-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default VIR video

Better not be of me putting my brakes on early ! Wish I could re-live breaking the back end loose on the way out of Spiral. THAT wa a heart stopper for sure. So much torque and so little time!
Cheers
Old 04-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Eric1h

Man, im sorry i missed you breaking out the rear end on the front staright, although i did a nice drive straight through the end of the front straight when my brkaes failed.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:24 PM
bhobson333

Talking VIDEO HERE

Here are three video clips from Eric1h's video camera. Hot off the presses, the bytes are still steaming!

Please rate this post so I'll get some points for my efforts!

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...Z_full_lap.mpg
17.9 MB - in-car video, one complete lap

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...two350Zs_1.mpg
7.68 MB - from the paddock, two 350Zs in sequence

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...two350Zs_2.mpg
13.1 MB - more of the same. I've been telling Eric he should have given me the passing signal, what do you think?

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-18-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Bobcaygeon

Default videos

Well done guys, wish we were all there again tomorrow. They are saved to the hard drive for everyone to see. Great sense of the speed and atmosphere.
Cheers
Dave
Old 04-18-2003, 08:43 PM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Re: 350z's at ViR (road course in VA) **Video inside**

Originally posted by bhobson333
I read the long version a few months ago, here's a link to a short summary I just found:

http://www.stoptech.com/docs/350Zstopping.htm

In brief, for only $5000 you can make any 350Z stop just about as well as a Track. OK maybe a LITTLE better.

It's interesting, they only post stopping distances for the front-only configuration, not their four-wheel replacement. We found this past weekend that this car (for some odd reason) wears rear brakes faster than front brakes.

I also question their numbers. According to them, the stopping distance 100-0 of the Track averaged only 5 feet better than the Performance. I was up against Tourings, and we never came to a complete stop on the track, but I think the differential was better than that.

I don't intend here to be hyper-critical of Stoptech, I just think they're maybe not telling the whole truth and maybe not as dollar-effective as other available solutions.
RE: the stock VS Brembos, I have read the same thing in some mags, they say the stocks are pretty dang close to the Brembos, BUT after multiple race laps, the Brembos don't heat up as much and don't fade as much.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:53 PM
bhobson333

Default Brakes

Originally posted by rodH
BUT after multiple race laps, the Brembos don't heat up as much and don't fade as much.
Amen to that, bro.

I had the only Track at the track and the difference was obvious. I could brake later and harder than them, no doubt. There was no difference in power in the straights and no difference in handling once we were into the curves, but I came right up on their *** coming into the curves; they slowed me down before I was ready. If I could convince them to give me the pass, I gained distance on them in later curves.

On top of that, all three Tourings had serious brake problems after the track event. The one who worked it hardest, we had to replace the pads before we could drive home; there was NO pad material on the rears at all. I still have at least 1/4" of pad left all around.

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-18-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:35 AM
Eric1h

Default Re: Brakes

Originally posted by bhobson333
Amen to that, bro.

I had the only Track at the track and the difference was obvious. I could brake later and harder than them, no doubt. There was no difference in power in the straights and no difference in handling once we were into the curves, but I came right up on their *** coming into the curves; they slowed me down before I was ready. If I could convince them to give me the pass, I gained distance on them in later curves.

On top of that, all three Tourings had serious brake problems after the track event. The one who worked it hardest, we had to replace the pads before we could drive home; there was NO pad material on the rears at all. I still have at least 1/4" of pad left all around.

Sortve a distorted sense of reality, LOL

ROb, didnt have any major problems with his brakes, he had upgraded brake pads and they help pretty good. The stock brakes did rather well, and i dont think the stopping distnace difference was huge. I braked earlier because i was playing it safe and was WORRIED about the brakes fading, but they really didnt fade until the last few laps of the last day. With a few upgrades.(cross drilled/slotted rotrors, SS lines, MOtul 6 and performance pads) I think the results will change heavily. Brian did pull SOME in the curves, because he had much more faith in his brakes, i will admit that. But its not like he was lapping us, he would gain 10-15 feet in the S turns, but on the #10 turn, i pulled on EVERYBODY, including the Z06, it was just a matter of comfort for me, the car held up well.

I will say, brian drove well and he car was up for the task. Kinda makes me wish I had bought the brembos.(but then my but says thanks for leather and heated seats) hehehehe

Great video clips!
Old 04-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default Brakes

From Car & Driver mag Dec. 2002:

"most of the Z's dynamic shortcomings stay out of site until it starts orbiting a track. At that point, velocity and mass gang up to push around the tires and suspension. The 3363 -pound Z demonstrated textbook understeer of the tire grinding variety in Beaverun's tighter corners. The middle peddle also melted to mush after repeated laps, at its worst unable even to provoke the anti-lock brakes. The leap to Brembo brakes would likely cure that, but at an additional cost of $900." end quote.

My brother asked why my anti-locks didn't kick in when I couldn't stop entering turn one; I shot straight through the cones into the run out area. Now I know why!

Another quote from Car & Driver: " The Bose stereo was a huge disappointment, sounding as though its seven speakers were packed with dryer lint".

Cheers
Dave
Old 04-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default VIR videos

By the way Eric, there aren't enough "O's" in smoooothe to describe your lap around VIR. Nice driving !

Dave
Old 04-19-2003, 05:53 AM
Bobcaygeon

Default VIR & brakes

As you guys no, I was stock stock and stock (no Brembos) and missed turn one entrance twice due to brake fade. But, I was able to make the 800 mile highway trip home stopping gingerly when I had to. I have enough to get to the dealership and I'm claiming warranty! According to my great instructor, there was way too much brake fluid in the reservoir therefore not letting the pads retract after hard braking therefore dragging pads.

I attribute the pads I have left to :
- more conservative driving
- more brake pad before starting the event
- luck

I'll let you know if the warranty thing works.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350z's at ViR (road course in VA) **Video inside**